Sansa vs. Tyrion

Canon Claude

19 hours ago, Dracul's Daughter said:

Shipping Sansa to Margaery instead of Jon : Marsansa??Sanmargery??Sanma??Mansa???:lol:

If Sansa’s true knight is a woman (Brienne) then her Prince should be a Princess.  Who better than Margaery?

On 2/14/2021 at 8:59 AM, Springwatch said:

I don't understand why Sansa co-operated with the wedding at all. If she'd gone to the wedding kicking and screaming (as Cersei more or less dared her to do) - I'm certain Catelyn and Mordane would have been totally understanding of that. This was not what their courtesy training was meant for, but Sansa takes the idea to the stratosphere, crazy high. Like her giving the full courtesy treatment to the Hound, when most people (Kevan, Ned) think he's a beast dog who shouldn't be fed at table. Catelyn/Mordane would have a meltdown if they only knew.

Honestly, Sansa is not alone.

Robb also takes the ideals his parents taught him to the stratosphere and beyond. He is so concerned about his honor, the honor of Jeyne and the honor of his unborn child that he dishonors and endangers himself by breaking his marriage alliance to House Frey.

You think Ned would marry Jeyne Westerling instead of Roslin Frey.

On 2/14/2021 at 8:59 AM, Springwatch said:

Tyrion is never going to forgive Sansa for not kneeling, but what he forgets is that right in the middle of all her pain and humiliation, she had a change of heart - she took pity on him and knelt for the kiss at the end of the ceremony. Ok, it doesn't carry the symbolic weight of exchange of cloaks, but it does publicy undo the picture of rejection she gave before. And in fact, from that point, she's a model wife in public; she backs him up without fail.

@Springwatch now THIS is what would've given Catelyn and Septa Mordane a meltdown.

I didn't like that part. I felt like GRRM chickened out.

Not so much with the model wife in public part but with the bending over so that Tyrion can kiss her.

Playing the part of "a model wife in public" was wise of her because not doing so would've further endangered her. You think Tywin would have allowed Sansa to so much as quietly disrespect Tyrion in public?

Tyrion has not really forgotten how Sansa bent over for the kiss. It's just that his memory of her refusing to kneel for the cloak confirms his memories of her being cold, quiet and distant AND her refusal to sexually capitulate to him.

19 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

now THIS is what would've given Catelyn and Septa Mordane a meltdown.

I'm sure it would have given Cat an aneurysm but I'm not so sure about Mordane. First of all the woman would have to be sober first for a proper reaction. But Mordane is the one who drilled all this nonsense into Sansa in the first place so she probably wouldn't melt down. She'd probably pat her on the head and say' good girl'.

21 hours ago, BlackLightning said:
Honestly, Sansa is not alone.

Robb also takes the ideals his parents taught him to the stratosphere and beyond. He is so concerned about his honor, the honor of Jeyne and the honor of his unborn child that he dishonors and endangers himself by breaking his marriage alliance to House Frey.

You think Ned would marry Jeyne Westerling instead of Roslin Frey.

All true. Probably all Ned's kids, and Jon, are living life as a song most of the time. It's a little early to tell with Rickon.

@Springwatch now THIS is what would've given Catelyn and Septa Mordane a meltdown.

Yes!! Cat is pragmatic about the lady stuff. She's a no-holds-barred fighter when her children are threatened. Mordane does seem to value both Sansa and Arya if you read closely enough, and anyway would see a gross breach of protocol by the Lannisters in this forced marriage.

I didn't like that part. I felt like GRRM chickened out.

Not so much with the model wife in public part but with the bending over so that Tyrion can kiss her.

Feels a bit odd. Undoes the dramatic moment a bit. I think maybe GRRM is trying to be too clever by half somehow - has Sansa's resistance, but also validates the marriage by a kiss. The marriage of sun and snow, imp and maiden - might have meaning for him.

Playing the part of "a model wife in public" was wise of her because not doing so would've further endangered her. You think Tywin would have allowed Sansa to so much as quietly disrespect Tyrion in public?

Sure, but she goes beyond the minimum. Tyrion thinks she would have made a good queen, i.e. perfect in public. And she rebuffs Olenna with that remark 'my place is with my husband' (or similar).

Tyrion has not really forgotten how Sansa bent over for the kiss. It's just that his memory of her refusing to kneel for the cloak confirms his memories of her being cold, quiet and distant AND her refusal to sexually capitulate to him.

That rings true too.

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2021 at 9:41 AM, Dracul's Daughter said:

I felt bad for both of them because neither Tyrion or Sansa wanted to be in that situation.When I read it I first tought "Heck,Sansa, he feels uncomfortable too.Have a little mercy on him!" but yeah,she does not owe any of Lannisters a thing so I understand her not wanting to bend the knee and I actually like that.

Tyrion willingly went along with the plan to become lord of winterfell so he did want to be put in that position.

Archived