20Q 2.0.1 Ask and you shall be answered.

Lilac & Gooseberries

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, FantasyCreature said:

Now that I think about it, I have a something to clarify.

Does meat include flesh of animals\birds\etc, even ones we don't eat?

It certainly does! Or is it something made of animal skin, like leather?

Edited by House Cambodia

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

Or is it something made of animal skin, like leather?

I'll not count this question, as some kind of compensation...

1. No, it is not animate (anymore).

2. No, it was not human when animate.

3. No, it is not North of the Wall.

4. No, it is not a dead animal.

5. Yes, it was seen on page alive or dead, as opposed to just being mentioned.

6. No, it is not of a botanical nature (tree or plant).

7. No, it is not bone.

8. No, it is not any kind of meat or dish made of meat.

9. No, it is not an egg.

10. No, it is not the Blackwood dead weirwood tree.

#. No, it is not something made of animal skin, like leather.

:sigh: I should've chosen something simpler, this one blurs so many lines. I'll give a hint. It's not any creature like animal, human, bird, etc, but it's a part of some creature.

Edited by FantasyCreature
added a point in the end

We're only halfway through 20 Questions, we're on course. That hint has me feeling hot; I've narrowed it down to two options if I'm on the right track. It might be a question of continents.

Is it currently in Essos?

14 hours ago, FantasyCreature said:

I suppose it covered algae, lichen, etc as well. All kinds of living flora. But not, say, something made of wood.

Well, in this case I guess it did, because it's not any of these. But I normally I would consider animals as just mammals.

??
Animals are insects, amphibia, reptiles, birds, mammals... This game can't have a completely different definition of animals than we have in real life.

9 hours ago, FantasyCreature said:

:blink: Of course it does. 

8 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

That hint has me feeling hot; I've narrowed it down to two options if I'm on the right track. It might be a question of continents.

Is it currently in Essos?

11. Indeed, it is in Essos. I think you'll get it in the next turn.

7 hours ago, Castellan said:

Do we see it on page attached to the creature?

12. No, we do not see it on page attached to the creature.

4 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Animals are insects, amphibia, reptiles, birds, mammals... This game can't have a completely different definition of animals than we have in real life.

My apologies. :unsure: Thank you for correcting me then, I always have this misconception.

Posted (edited)

A meaty issue

This doesn't alter anything in the game, but I thought I'd say for future reference....

Re the answers people have given to our hosts questions about whether flesh of animals can be called meat if

• it isn't being used as food or
  • it is the flesh of animals that is never used as food can be called meat,

I disagree, I think 'meat' is used of animals people eat and it is used when in the context of talking about food - like butchering, cooking or eating.

It is usually used to refer to meat once its cut off e.g "I eat meat for dinner a couple of times a week' or when you are thinking of it as cut off e.g. when talking about cuts of meat.

Just because people eat cows, pigs and goats, their flesh is not always called meat. In other contexts it might be called flesh. e.g. if a pig or a cow had been shot with an arrow or had had an accident you would say 'the arrow had penetrated deep into the flesh of its thigh' or "it had a piece of metal sticking out of the flesh of its ... " to describe a strange sight you saw in a paddock. Likewise if you were just describing an animal for some biology exercise you'd call it flesh, I believe, not meat.

I googled and the Oxford Languages definition popped up
1. the flesh of an animal, typically a mammal or bird, as food (the flesh of domestic fowls is sometimes distinguished as poultry).
"pieces of meat"

Other dictionaries also note that 'meat' had been extended to the flesh of shellfish and of nuts i.e. the meat of the walnut, and metaphorically as 'The meat of the issue" etc.

(If you think this is a weird post I should explain I did a lot of linguistics at university)

:)

Edited by Castellan

12 hours ago, Castellan said:

A meaty issue

This doesn't alter anything in the game, but I thought I'd say for future reference....

Re the answers people have given to our hosts questions about whether flesh of animals can be called meat if

• it isn't being used as food or
  • it is the flesh of animals that is never used as food can be called meat,

I disagree, I think 'meat' is used of animals people eat and it is used when in the context of talking about food - like butchering, cooking or eating.

It is usually used to refer to meat once its cut off e.g "I eat meat for dinner a couple of times a week' or when you are thinking of it as cut off e.g. when talking about cuts of meat.

Just because people eat cows, pigs and goats, their flesh is not always called meat. In other contexts it might be called flesh. e.g. if a pig or a cow had been shot with an arrow or had had an accident you would say 'the arrow had penetrated deep into the flesh of its thigh' or "it had a piece of metal sticking out of the flesh of its ... " to describe a strange sight you saw in a paddock. Likewise if you were just describing an animal for some biology exercise you'd call it flesh, I believe, not meat.

I googled and the Oxford Languages definition popped up
1. the flesh of an animal, typically a mammal or bird, as food (the flesh of domestic fowls is sometimes distinguished as poultry).
"pieces of meat"

Other dictionaries also note that 'meat' had been extended to the flesh of shellfish and of nuts i.e. the meat of the walnut, and metaphorically as 'The meat of the issue" etc.

(If you think this is a weird post I should explain I did a lot of linguistics at university)

:)

It is meat when it is being eaten. Wasn't that the question? 

Of course it is not meat but flesh when it is NOT eaten, regardless of whether the flesh of those animals is usually a part of the human cuisine, so to speak.

On 5/14/2024 at 7:04 PM, Annara Snow said:

On 5/14/2024 at 9:01 AM, FantasyCreature said:

:blink: Of course it does. 

2 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

It is meat when it is being eaten. Wasn't that the question? 

No, actually. I was asking if your question with meat included flesh of animals which aren't eaten, so there's no "when it's being eaten".

2 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Of course it is not meat but flesh when it is NOT eaten, regardless of whether the flesh of those animals is usually a part of the human cuisine, so to speak.

Then it is not meat.

15 hours ago, Castellan said:

A meaty issue

Thank you, it wasn't a weird post, I found it informative. To clarify (please correct me if I'm wrong): If the animal is eaten, then while referring to it's cut-off flesh which is intended for eating, we'll say meat. If it's not intended for eating, we'll call it flesh. And, if the animal isn't eaten, then it's always flesh. Right?

19 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

I think it's Dragonbinder.

Is this a question? 

And finally, I'll reword my answer: 8. No, it is not "meat" or a dish made of meat, but rather the flesh of some living thing which is not usually eaten.

Other answers:

On 5/14/2024 at 2:47 PM, FantasyCreature said:

1. No, it is not animate (anymore).

2. No, it was not a human when animate.

3. No, it is not North of the Wall.

4. No, it is not a dead animal.

5. Yes, it was seen on page alive or dead, as opposed to just being mentioned.

6. No, it is not of a botanical nature (tree or plant).

7. No, it is not bone.

8. No, it is not any kind of meat or dish made of meat.  (reworded above)

9. No, it is not an egg.

10. No, it is not the Blackwood dead weirwood tree.

#. No, it is not something made of animal skin, like leather. 

Hint: It's not any creature like animal, human, bird, etc, but it's a part of some creature.

11. Yes, it is in Essos.

12. No, we do not see it on page attached to the creature.

17 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

Hang on ....  It's not bone, so it can't be Dragonbinder.

I'll be back!

In Essos and fitting the reworded #8 ..... is it the blue rotting heart Dany sees in the House of the Undying?

2 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

In Essos and fitting the reworded #8 ..... is it the blue rotting heart Dany sees in the House of the Undying?

Yes! Correct, congrats. Next time I'll really choose something more normal :crying:

1 hour ago, Annara Snow said:

It is more fun when it is not something normal. :D

Yes, I agree. It was a good one.

For some reason, I was fixated on one of the horns - Joramun or D'binder. The Heart dawned on me after musing the meaty discussion. It's dead tricky thinking up these things. Give me a little while and we'll go again.

5 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

It is more fun when it is not something normal. :D

4 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

Yes, I agree. It was a good one.

Oh, thank goodness, I thought it would have been annoying as I'd messed up two questions. I guess it's all good if you enjoyed. ^_^

4 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

It's dead tricky thinking up these things. Give me a little while and we'll go again.

Pun? Dead tricky, tricky dead. Anyway. Take your time.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

Wow, what inspired you?? and I saw your dragonbinder statement and didn't even remember bone was ruled out. My skill must be quibbling,

thanks to the host - a very good object that i would never have thought of

Edited by Castellan

6 minutes ago, Castellan said:

Wow, what inspired you?? and I saw your dragonbinder statement and didn't even remember bone was ruled out. My skill must be quibbling,

thanks to the host - a very good object that i would never have thought of

#7 ruled out bone, and the new wording of #8 is "No, it is not "meat" or a dish made of meat, but rather the flesh of some living thing which is not usually eaten."

My last question was 'Is it in Essos?', attempting to decide between the Horn of Joramun (Westeros) and Dragonbinder (Essos). Combining #8 - flesh of a living thing with Essos had me thinking 'the manticore that Barristan killed'? (nope, #4 - not a dead animal), scales off a dragon (nope, no dead dragons on the pages). I went through body parts - the Dothraki eat horses hearts but not human ones - they fit the category of not usually eaten, finally narrowing it down to that one in the HoU.