What if Aerys fled to Essos

Mrstrategy

How hard would it be for Robert to find Aerys Targaryens assuming varys playing his own game like book/tv show if Aerys Targaryens had fled to Essos instead of trying to blow up the capital specially if he tries to blend in by either living where owith people of Valyrian features or changing his hair Color and changing clothes to not stand out assuming he sane enough to think about how to stay out of sight to start with and to probably avoid his family members in exile since that makes it easier to find him since everyone will asume he will stay in touch with family

Interesting though I think the Mad King might stand out a bit by mannerism more than physically.  Wouldn't be too hard to track someone down like him though if he still had resources and there were supporters helping him hide then it would have been possible not so unlike the Blackfyres.  I imagine things would go much like the Blackfyres though, or Darius when Alexander was on his trail.  Eventually someone would likely take a reward to turn him over or open his throat.  Hard to make a go of it as an adult on the run.  Easier in some ways for children like Dany.

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2021 at 10:41 PM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Not that large really. Who on Earth wants to go into exile with Aerys?

The three knights of the Kingsguard that were at the Tower of Joy, but since they got killed they don't matter that much. They're sworn to protect and serve.

The war would have been prolonged for years.  Aerys would have taken his treasury and used it as downpayment to secure a larger loan with the Iron Bank.  He is angry enough to cut deals with the Golden Company and promise them the Crownlads and the North if they could help him put the rebellion down.  All of the sellsword companies in Essos would line up behind him for the promise of lands and titles.  The Martells, Hightowers, and the Tyrells would continue fighting for the royals.  The Greyjoys would fall in line and side with the king in exchange for some of the northern lands.  I believe the rebellion would have failed if Aerys had escaped.  The most important members of the royal household would remain intact:  King Aerys II, Queen Rhaella, Crown Prince Viserys, and Princess Daenerys.  All of the surviving Kingsguards will follow as well as loyal men like Ser Aliser Thorne.  

7 hours ago, Rondo said:

The war would have been prolonged for years.  Aerys would have taken his treasury and used it as downpayment to secure a larger loan with the Iron Bank.  He is angry enough to cut deals with the Golden Company and promise them the Crownlads and the North if they could help him put the rebellion down.  All of the sellsword companies in Essos would line up behind him for the promise of lands and titles.  The Martells, Hightowers, and the Tyrells would continue fighting for the royals.  The Greyjoys would fall in line and side with the king in exchange for some of the northern lands.  I believe the rebellion would have failed if Aerys had escaped.  The most important members of the royal household would remain intact:  King Aerys II, Queen Rhaella, Crown Prince Viserys, and Princess Daenerys.  All of the surviving Kingsguards will follow as well as loyal men like Ser Aliser Thorne.  

Main problem is that Aerys did not pay his old debts but Tywin paid those using his own money. So Iron Bank almost certainly would not trust to A II. So as long as rebels has support of Lannisters IB almost certainly would NOT lend any money to ex king of Westeros.

Besides I assume that one reason why Hightowers, Redwynes and Tyrells  turned their coats and knelt to new government was that Greyjoys had invaded Shield Islands. So Martells would be only major loyalist house left and they would not have enough resources left to invade another kingdoms. In fact they would need all warriors they had left to defend Dorne.

Or I assume that if Aerys flees to Essos with princess Elia and her children Dorne might keep fighting for Targs. But all other kingdoms would kneel to Robert.

Archived