Heresy 234 and the coming of Winter

Black Crow

18 hours ago, divica said:

The problem with Preston is that he is very good at manipulating what he reads into fitting his theories. Whatever sources he used should be read in context in order to verify if what he says makes sense. And it is completely illogical for Robb to give catelyn winterfell. First, it is the seat of the warden/king of the north, second it is the only place from where Jon could hold court and house his forces, third it would create civil war because Sansa (who is married to tyrion at that point) is cat's heir and therefore tyrion and the lannisters would have a stronghold in the north, fourth he could give her land some where in order for her to live comfortably, it does t need to be winterfell. I see no logical reason for him to do that... 

Ah, well here I will agree with you. Rob leaving Winterfell to Catelyn makes absolutely no sense. First of all she may have married Eddard Stark and born his children, but she herself is not a Stark. She may well [before she died] have been able to rule as the Dowager Lady Stark, but only until one of the children of Winterfell was in a position to take over and only in his or her name in the meantime.

24 minutes ago, LynnS said:

D&D stated that they knew what Martin had in store for Lady Stoneheart and very specifically didn't want to spoil the book;  I'm going to say that they didn't spoil any character arc or ending from the book.  They may have known where Martin was going but I think they came up with what would work for a tv audience without spoiling the books.  I don't think the books will look anything show in the end.

That is also a valid point. Sometimes they clearly went out of their way to not spoil the books.

22 minutes ago, Black Crow said:

There's no need to draw on a remote [as in not physically joined] familiar in order to gain "improved physical abilities". Rage and adrenalin are enough for what's actually described in the books

I comlpetly disagree.

From memory I remember jon (a 14 or 15 year old kid) lifting alister by the neck with 1 hand or lifting one of the dead rangers head that took 3 NW brother to lift each of the other ones. And jon isn t suposed to be a hulk (he is graceful and quick, and has a lean build). There is clearly something going on with his phisical abilities...

15 hours ago, divica said:

But that doesn t mean that what she sees in her visions are representations of reality instead of glimpses of reality.

And the problem with her visions is that she has to know who appears in them, when and where. Like she says she saw stannis with a burning blade fighting a battle in the snows an imediatly thinks he is fighting the other. However it is most likely that he is fighting the freys. Or the vision of the girl in grey riding a dying horse...

As she says, it is an art to understand what she is seeing...

Add to which, if we cross over to the other side, Bran learns that he can see the past as well as the present and the future. Mel's vision of the conflict and towers by the sea may include the original destruction of Hardhome

9 hours ago, Queen Allyria said:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but do you have these replies liked saved up somewhere? And if you do, can I delete anything that uses the term three fingered tree huggers? They aren't hugging anything. They're sucking it dry. They're freaking leaches. All the greenseers are. 

Its all in my twisted mind, along with Trouserless Bob Baratheon, and of course the Royal Targaryen Airforce. I refer to the Walkers as Craster's Boys, others [!] like to call them Popsicles. Its an occupational hazard of Heresy :commie:

9 hours ago, Queen Allyria said:

Dave wore a polo or Tshirt with R+L=J on it in one of the early seasons after the episodes. It was before R+L=J was completely widespread, but most fans were getting there. The timing makes no sense for a Rhaegar reveal. 

The problem of course is that we are in two not very parallel "realities". Book readers, rightly or wrongly, had nearly 20 years to work on the R+L=J theory. The Mummers, being adherents of the theory, needed to "reveal" it to non-reading viewers with all the subtlety of train-crash.

1 hour ago, divica said:

The problem with this is that until the end of season 7 we were going in one direction and then sudenly season 8 happened and the things in season 8 just don t fit with the rest of the story. This only works if D&D wanted to surprise and shock the audience or if they were somehow forced to have an ending simillar to the books. And both hipothesis seem possible.

On the other hand I don't want to believe for a second that grrm would sign a paper that wouldn't let him finish his story as he sees fit.

I think the real problem is that a lot of the things that happened in season 8 are probably pretty close to what grrm had/has planned and people didn t really liked it...

We've discussed this before, but as I don't think you were around at the time I'll summarize briefly. 

The Mummers have confessed that they backed GRRM into a corner in a 2-3 day meeting in Santa Fe about four [?] years ago because they could see that the series was going to finish up way ahead of the books and wanted to know how the story arcs of a surprising number of key characters were going to end. Eventually GRRM told them, but wouldn't or at that stage more likely simply couldn't reveal how they all ended up where they did, hence the shambolic mess we know as Season 8.

What I would say is that this in itself gives me hope that GRRM will finish the story by himself, if only to make sure that his legacy is not a novelization of Season 8

Well, that's the service for Prince Philip over.  That was about as private as a royal funeral can be.  The Pipe Majors Lament and the Buglers last Post was astonishing to hear.  The resonance in that chapel elevated it to another level.  What was the standard draping the casket?  Lowering into the vault was kept private.  

4 hours ago, Black Crow said:

There's no need to draw on a remote [as in not physically joined] familiar in order to gain "improved physical abilities". Rage and adrenalin are enough for what's actually described in the books

Actualy I had time to search some of the things he did.

Jon Snow grasped the spear that bore Garth Greyfeather's head and wrenched it violently from the ground. "Pull down the other two," he commanded, and four of the crows hurried to obey.
Bowen Marsh's cheeks were red with cold. "We should never have sent out rangers."
"This is not the time and place to pick at that wound. Not here, my lord. Not now." To the men struggling with the spears Snow said, "Take the heads and burn them. Leave nothing but bare bone." 

He casually wrenched one spear and at least 2 of his NW brothers strugled to do the same with each of the remaining ones (either 2 for each spear or 4 of them tried to lift the same spear). 

"My lord is wise." Ser Alliser seized Jon by the arm.
Jon yanked away and grabbed the knight by the throat with such ferocity that he lifted him off the floor. He would have throttled him if the Eastwatch men had not pulled him off. Thorne staggered back, rubbing the marks Jon's fingers had left on his neck. "You see for yourselves, brothers. The boy is a wildling."

Again, not something that a slender person can do.

If you add all the mentions of jon doing something that should not be possible (and there are several instances) then you have to conclude something magical is going on there. Besides, I dont remember other characters being able to do imposible things and grrm has a lot of pov characters...

We'll have to agree to disagree. Been there, seen it done it so far as berserk rage and strength are concerned - and it can be astonishing, but if you still want to suggest a magical explanation, the proven link to Ghost is far more likely than a so=far speculative dragon

1 hour ago, LynnS said:

Well, that's the service for Prince Philip over.  That was about as private as a royal funeral can be.  The Pipe Majors Lament and the Buglers last Post was astonishing to hear.  The resonance in that chapel elevated it to another level.  What was the standard draping the casket?  Lowering into the vault was kept private.  

It was his own banner - one of the privileges of a Royal Duke

2 minutes ago, Black Crow said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. Been there, seen it done it so far as berserk rage and strength are concerned - and it can be astonishing, but if you still want to suggest a magical explanation, the proven link to Ghost is far more likely than a so=far speculative dragon

speculative dragon? One thing we never knew for sure is if targs could have a berserker stage where their physical abilities are amplified. After all vizerys expression "don t wake the dragon" must come from somewhere. And with magic reapering that ability might be possible again...

And given the evidence so far I think it is more likely a targ trait we have little clues than a warg ability we have heard nothing about no?

7 minutes ago, divica said:

speculative dragon? One thing we never knew for sure is if targs could have a berserker stage where their physical abilities are amplified. After all vizerys expression "don t wake the dragon" must come from somewhere. And with magic reapering that ability might be possible again...

And given the evidence so far I think it is more likely a targ trait we have little clues than a warg ability we have heard nothing about no?

We don't know what Viserys meant, beyond temper tantrums, but we do know that the direwolves are ferocious and that Jon sees things through Ghost without trying. We know that link is strong within him

1 minute ago, Black Crow said:

We don't know what Viserys meant, beyond temper tantrums, but we do know that the direwolves are ferocious and that Jon sees things through Ghost without trying. We know that link is strong within him

all other stark children have similar links to their wolves and we wave seen other pretty powerful skinchangers and nobody else had better phisical abilities when angry...

Nobody else had Ghost :D, but seriously while Danaerys the Dragonlord, who has an undoubted link with her scaly beasties. might be fireproof, we certainly have no evidence of other physical powers or enhancements, while of course Jon on the other hand, although unquestionably linked to his wolf has displayed not a scintilla of evidence of a link to dragons

Once again I think that you are underestimating, [or seeking a magical explanation for] sheer adrenalin 

ETA and with that, its time to put supper on.

10 minutes ago, Black Crow said:

Nobody else had Ghost :D, but seriously while Danaerys the Dragonlord, who has an undoubted link with her scaly beasties. might be fireproof, we certainly have no evidence of other physical powers or enhancements, while of course Jon on the other hand, although unquestionably linked to his wolf has displayed not a scintilla of evidence of a link to dragons

Once again I think that you are underestimating, [or seeking a magical explanation for] sheer adrenalin 

ETA and with that, its time to put supper on.

If it happened one time or if several characters displayed much better abilities under pressure I could agree with the adrenalin. When we have the same character displaying amazing feats when angry then there must something else that explains it.

And grrm told in an interview that danny isn t fireproof. On the other hand we have no idea what abilities targs might have. Danny can simply only have inherited some. But it is clear that viz thought that he had an angry mode when he lost control. That actually fits perfectly with what happens to jon. And jon might be a targ. It all makes sense.

My problem with it being linked to ghost is that it would mean that is is another ability that might come with skinchanging and if jon links with more animals it would become stupid. 

On 4/18/2021 at 8:15 AM, LynnS said:

With one or two exceptions, the XYZ stuff has run its course for me.  I don't have the energy for another kick at the can.

Ah well, while the "Waking the Dragon" has zero traction, Heresy 235 will be taking R+L=J in  very different direction

Archived