Why was Desmera Redwyne betrothed to Daven Lannister?

4 hours ago, Der_Erste_seines_Namens said:

She was the daughter of one of the importanst Lords of Westeros and Daven only a cousin to the main line of his family.

It is still prestigous to the Redwynes. Tho I don't see why really noone tried to give a daughter for Tyrion. I mean, he was the rightful heir to The Rock (haha), and unless Tywin had no public plan to disinherit him at some point, I don't see how everyone missed an opportunity of such a big amount of influence only because Tyrion is a dwarf.

19 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

It is still prestigous to the Redwynes. Tho I don't see why really noone tried to give a daughter for Tyrion. I mean, he was the rightful heir to The Rock (haha), and unless Tywin had no public plan to disinherit him at some point, I don't see how everyone missed an opportunity of such a big amount of influence only because Tyrion is a dwarf.

I been wandering the same thing for a while, maybe your house will be mocked if you daughter marries a dwarf, but any house that's not one of the big eight should want to marry their daughters to Tyrion. 

On 2/4/2021 at 2:36 PM, Der_Erste_seines_Namens said:

She was the daughter of one of the importanst Lords of Westeros and Daven only a cousin to the main line of his family.

They where not betrothed, there fathers where negotiating before the war of the 5 kings but nothing had come from it yet.

House Redwyne is too important to marry into a random Lannister cousin.He is Tywin's uncle's grandson. That's the very reason it wasn't even a betrothdal. And they've become way more important with royal fleet being destroyed during Dany's birth.

Is it any wonder that one of Tywin's marriage option for Cersei were the twins? Egg also tried to match his youngest son with Olenna.

On 2/5/2021 at 10:27 AM, Lightoftheast said:

House Redwyne is too important to marry into a random Lannister cousin.He is Tywin's uncle's grandson. That's the very reason it wasn't even a betrothdal. And they've become way more important with royal fleet being destroyed during Dany's birth.

Is it any wonder that one of Tywin's marriage option for Cersei were the twins? Egg also tried to match his youngest son with Olenna.

Also the Wot5K killed a lot of eligible highborn men.  Perhaps Daven was the best House Redwyne could do after all the loss of life.  

Not to mention the Redwyne navy, if Twyin gets the Redwynes on his side, house Lannister gets one of the major (if not the greatest) Tyrell supporters so the upper hand in Tyrell/Lannister alliance. Daven, while not possible to inherit Casterly Rock, is from house Lannister of Casterly Rock not the distant (and probably lesser) house Lannister of Lannisport.

On 2/8/2021 at 7:09 AM, aeverett said:

Also the Wot5K killed a lot of eligible highborn men.  Perhaps Daven was the best House Redwyne could do after all the loss of life.  

Reach hasn't lost any prominent highborn lord/heir except Lord Florent.

Unless Paxter wants to get rid of his daughter cheaply with nominal dowry to some landless Lannister,who is like 16th or something in succession to Casterly Rock.I can't see any sense. It was before Oxcross and if they were desperate for Lannister alliance there's Lancel Lannister live and well and his captive brothers to consider too.

On 2/8/2021 at 2:24 AM, aeverett said:

In addition to this I would like to point out that the current queen is from House Lannister and Robert's heir when the book started had great favoritism towards the Lannisters. Thus a marriage with House Lannister should, reasonably, be very beneficient for the Redwynes and secure them a place at the table with King Joffrey.

• 5 months later...

The first is that a Lannister of the Rock is still considered to be a pretty good marriage arrangement and they'll definitely have the financial ability to support their family with Desmera. The second is that the future of Casterly Rock is very ambiguous right now. The official inheritance is:

• Descendants of Tytos:
    • Tywin
      • Cersei, current Lady of the Rock
        • Tommen (King of Westeros, technically also Lord of Storm's End and Dragonstone)
        • Myrcella
      • Jaime (sworn to the Kingsguard)
      • Tyrion (attainted as a kingslayer and kinslayer)
    • Kevan
      • Lancel (sworn to the Warrior's Sons)
      • Willem (dead)
      • Martyn
      • Janei
    • Tygett
      • Tyrek (presumed dead in the bread riots)
    • Genna (Lady of Riverrun)
      • Cleos Frey (dead)
        • Tywin Frey (heir to Riverrun)
        • Willem Frey (another child)
      • Lyonel (married)
      • Tion (dead)
      • Red Walder
  • descendants of Jason:
    •  Damon
      • Damion
        • Lucion
        • Lanna
          • Lanna's sons
    • Stafford (dead)
      • Daven
      • Daven's sisters
    • Stafford's other brothers and their descendants
    • Joanna (dead, circle back to Cersei)
    • Stafford's other sisters and their descendants

At first glance, it might not seem like Daven is close. But if we break it down with all the people who are cut out because they're lords of something else, dead, or sworn vows against lordship:

1. Myrcella
  2. Martyn
  3. Janei
  4. Willem
  5. Lyonel
  6. Red Walder 
  7. Damon
  8. Damion
  9. Lucion
  10. Lanna
  11. Lanna's Sons
  12. Daven
  13. Daven's sisters
  14. Stafford's other brothers and their descendants
  15. Stafford's other sisters and their descendants

Let's pare this down some more: Tommen's got a lot of extra titles and land, so it would be no surprise if he gave Myrcella Storm's End or Dragonstone. Martyn's been put forward as a new husband for Amerei Frey to become Lord of Darry, which would likely exclude him.

So if Cersei dies without any other children, Daven is 10th in line for the Rock. He could make a solid claim for it. Janei is a girl and a child, which didn't work great when Cerelle Lannister was briefly Lady of the Rock. Emmon Frey is trying to be named Lord Paramount of the Reach and is now holding one of the realm's great castles, and his children are considered Freys and not Lannisters, so there's a good chance Willem, Lyonel, and Red Walder (another child) will not looked upon for the seat.

Damon Lannister and his descendants are rarely mentioned, although Damion is castellan of the Rock. But since they're descended from a Lannister almost on the wrong side of blanket, albeit technically a senior Lannister to Daven's ancestors, Daven actually has quite a good claim.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 1:36 PM, Der_Erste_seines_Namens said:

He's Tywin's nephew. The nephew of the most powerful Lord in the realm, the cousin to the Queen of Westeros. He's also respected given how the Blackfish talks of him and his eventual rise to Warden of the West.

Some Lords may favor diplomacy and Daven, a resident of the Rock on good terms with his uncle Tywin and cousin Cersei, seems like an excellent choice for any ambitious Lord seeking favor in his lifetime.

Daven is a hugely valuable prize for most Houses, a better prize than many heirs throughout the realm, who are either from less prestigious Houses or may be waiting decades before they inherit.

Real life history was full of Daven equivelants who got valuable marriages based on the proximity to the mover and shakers of the realm. One such example is Francis Bryan, second cousin to Anne Boelyn and Catherine Howard who married Lady Fitzgerald, the heiress of the Earl of Desmond. Charles Brandon, the son of a Knight, became one of the leading powers during the rule of Henry VIII thanks to the advantageous marriages that he had.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/5/2021 at 2:10 PM, CamiloRP said:

I been wandering the same thing for a while, maybe your house will be mocked if you daughter marries a dwarf, but any house that's not one of the big eight should want to marry their daughters to Tyrion. 

It seems Tywin was very public about his intention of never letting Tyrion inherit the Rock, and since the next in line (given that Jamie was Kingsguard), was the queen and the royal princes... well, you can bet the Iron Throne wasn't going to say no to Tywin... I mean, if Tywin told Robert Baratheon that he wanted to make Tommen the heir to Casterly Rock, what was going Robert to say "No! I want Tyrion to succeed you!", or "Cool! Now my firstborn will be king, and my second son will be a great lord!..."?.

And nobody would oppose the combined will Tywin and Robert in order to help Tyrion...

Archived