Video Games - Sequels of Dread and Anticipation

Toth

Dropped my playthrough of Troubleshooter. It's a good xcom-ish game, but just too long. I was 80 hours, and was still in chapter 4 of 6. It also seemed like the translation quality fell off a lot after about 50 hours in. I could still understand everything, but the character dialog became extremely wooden and uninteresting. And even though I was still unlocking interesting passive abilities, I've had all the same active abilities for about 40 hours now. Just became too much of an effort to keep going. But I did enjoy most of my time with the game.

Still going pretty strong in Yakuza 7; about 45 hours in at this point. The business management mini-game felt pretty phoned in compared to 0 (my only point of reference); and also I don't know if the combat will keep holding up over the long haul. But the writing is great, the English dub is great, and I'm just really enjoying a JRPG where all the party members are 40+. 

Also started a TW:W2 game for the first time in a while, inspired by the announcement for the 3rd game. Playing as Balthazar Gelt for the first time; it's fun seeing the differences from Karl Franz's start. Though it is a bit weird that all the same Empire mechanics are in effect when I'm not the Emperor.

I went back to FTL for whatever reason. Such a great game. One of those games I wish was a whole genre, There's so much more you could do with that setup. The fact that all there is to do is battle the enemy flagship holds it back a bit. 

As for my quest to play the Goldeneye remaster I held off on ordering a gaming PC. I really don't want to get something and find out it's not powerful enough, or overpay for what isn't even a top of the line GPU.

Also I remembered I have a 360 in my attic collecting dust so. So I'm going to try to mod that, and play the game on there.

Unfortunately my launch 360 that could have been modded with a resistor and diode died over a decade ago. The one I have I actually bought to play the Perfect Dark remaster. Still moddable, but it requires a mod chip that may be hard to get two console generations later. 

8 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I went back to FTL for whatever reason. Such a great game. One of those games I wish was a whole genre, There's so much more you could do with that setup. The fact that all there is to do is battle the enemy flagship holds it back a bit. 

I've heard Crying Suns is in that direction. I have it free from the Epic store but haven't tried it yet (but then, I haven't played FTL).

56 minutes ago, RumHam said:

It's basically a roguelike, although that's quite a broad church (incorporating things Spelunky and Hades, which are very different kinds of game) so not the most helpful comparison.

Into the Breach, from the same devs, is probably the most notable point of comparison (although it's not as good). Slay the Spire and Renowned Explorers: International Society also aren't a million miles way, and Abandon Ship maybe.

Looking online I see most "what games are like FTL?" discussions get really weird, really quickly. Heroes of Might & Magic III? WTF?

15 minutes ago, Ran said:

I've heard Crying Suns is in that direction. I have it free from the Epic store but haven't tried it yet (but then, I haven't played FTL).

That does look interesting, and has a free demo so I'll try that.

22 minutes ago, Werthead said:

It's basically a roguelike, although that's quite a broad church (incorporating things Spelunky and Hades, which are very different kinds of game) so not the most helpful comparison.

Into the Breach, from the same devs, is probably the most notable point of comparison (although it's not as good). Slay the Spire and Renowned Explorers: International Society also aren't a million miles way, and Abandon Ship maybe.

Looking online I see most "what games are like FTL?" discussions get really weird, really quickly. Heroes of Might & Magic III? WTF?

I liked Into the Breach but it's not as fun. Possibly because I usually feel like I'm just choosing the least bad option when I make a move. Abandon Ship looks pretty good. I guess what I really want is FTL 2 but sadly it doesn't exist. 

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

I liked Into the Breach but it's not as fun. Possibly because I usually feel like I'm just choosing the least bad option when I make a move. Abandon Ship looks pretty good. I guess what I really want is FTL 2 but sadly it doesn't exist. 

Don't we all.  I love FTL.

So realistically, what’s this mean?

On the one hand, you might think reputable journalists wouldn’t use the fruits of illegal activities.  But going as far back as the Sony hack, we know that it’ll be out there.

So they’ve got the source code.  Gamers mod it and release altered versions?  Pirating is easier?

They have Accounting/HR.  We learn that Sven made more than Svetlana for the same job?  Oleg had to work 120 hours a week for three months to get the V’s pubic hair options just right?

Internal communications.  We learn that they knew all along it would crash PS4s?

What worse than that do we really expect?

56 minutes ago, Rhom said:

So they’ve got the source code.  Gamers mod it and release altered versions?  

Assuming these claims are true and source code is actually leaked...

It's quite illegal to do this, and so I think it's unlikely you'll see people openly using source code. It's possible some really devoted modders would secretly study the source code to figure out how to make mods that work at the guts of the system, but they need the plausible deniabilty of the "clean room" exception to keep legally safe. 

Watch Dogs: Legion had its full source leaked several months ago, and near as I can tell it has led to 0 mods. The handful of mods that exist all look straightforward shader mods and texture swaps.

As the two major games are single-player, "cheating" mods aren't really an issue, and through console commands people can already do pretty much everything they want in regards to cheating (infinite money, infinite stat points, etc.) so that's not really an issue. I guess Gwent, being a competitive multiplayer game, might potentially have some issues with source code being leaked... not sure.

Pirating is easier?

The game's already DRM free on GOG, so no.

What worse than that do we really expect?

Probably the internal management stuff about the state of the game is the biggest potential thing. Most damaging would be if there's anything that would suggest corporate malfeasance.

So this Borderlands movie is probably going to be terrible, since video game movies are usually terrible. But the names involved with it are so wild that it just might be a really interesting terrible.

It's going to be directed by Eli Roth, it's written by Craig Mazin (who wrote Chernobyl), and the 3 announced cast members so far are: Kevin Hart as Roland, Cate Blanchett as Lilith, and Jamie Lee Curtis as Tannis. 

12 minutes ago, briantw said:

I don't see how pirating would even be a concern at this point considering everyone in the world already bought the game. 

If you're talking about Cyberpunk 77, I haven't gotten it yet. Should I wait? :P If you're talking about the Witcher games, then yeah.

14 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

If you're talking about Cyberpunk 77, I haven't gotten it yet. Should I wait? :P If you're talking about the Witcher games, then yeah.

There's always more people who can buy a game. As of last April, The Witcher 3 was up to 30 million copies sold; which is a big number. However, by contrast, Rockstar just announced that GTA5 is up to 140 million copies sold (including selling another 10 million copies in the past 9 months).

Though GTA V isn't really comparable in terms of genre except superficially. I'd say Witcher and RDR 2 (36 million copies) are probably roughly around the high of what CP2077 can aim for. 

22 minutes ago, Ran said:

Though GTA V isn't really comparable in terms of genre except superficially. I'd say Witcher and RDR 2 (36 million copies) are probably roughly around the high of what CP2077 can aim for. 

Of course. Just saying that, like the Gamestop reddit investors, sometimes you gotta shoot for the moon.

Archived