Video Games - Sequels of Dread and Anticipation

Toth

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Diablo 2: Resurrected is a thing happening later this year.

Blizzard's argument seems to be, "Look, we totally fucked up WarCraft III remastered, but trust us, this won't be as screwed, probably." Fortunately it is a different team.

I'm... unsure about this.

I played so much Diablo 2 when I was growing up. Joined a nice community where we all played together in our own games - only legit gear we found outselves, shared everything, helped eachother with leveling and doing magic find runs and all that stuff - some of those people I've been playing various games with for over 15 years (holy fuck I'm getting old) and are real friends some of whom I've been lucky enough to meet up with in various countries. And yet... I'm not sure if I could do that again. It's a game that needs a lot of time and a lot of grinding and that often we only got the powerful stuff we wanted because we were both young with tons of time on our hands and working as pretty closed community with no concern for market trade value or whatever; I just don't think it'll be the same and I'd like to keep the nostalgia untarnished.

Still I already saw this in the group chat and people are getting ideas so I might get dragged along for the ride. If enough of the old crew show back up for a few weeks or months it might be worth the price of entry.

I started personally boycotting all Blizzard games after the China censorship stuff. So far, Blizzard has made exactly 0 game announcements that make me feel like this is any sort of personal sacrifice on my part.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Diablo 2: Resurrected is a thing happening later this year.

Blizzard's argument seems to be, "Look, we totally fucked up WarCraft III remastered, but trust us, this won't be as screwed, probably." Fortunately it is a different team.

Never played WC3 Reforged.  How did they mess that up?

55 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I started playing last night with a few friends and am enjoying it. We're still early days but so far so good. Unfortunately, there are bugs, given the Early Access and earlier this afternoon, I died in a Troll Cave, fell through the world, got my body then fell through the world again and respawned in the basement of a burial thing with a ton of skeletons and now I'm unable to get my body which has all my shit on it. I'm pretty annoyed. So, besides that, fun game...

That sucks.  I've been fortunate thus far to not run into any major glitches like that, although we've gotten to the point now in our server now where most things are pretty easily replaced.

After work today, I built a sundial in the game that actually functions.  Now, we have an idea of exactly how much daylight is left.  We've also domesticated a handful of boars, which should give us a steady supply of meat going forward.  The main objective now is traveling into the mountain biome to mine silver and kill wolves for their pelts.  A few of us already have the silver and wolf fur armor, but the weapons require an absurd amount of silver to craft, so we've still got a ways to go.  Thankfully, we've found the merchant and gotten the item that increases your carry limit by 50%, which significantly eases the amount of trips back and forth.

We've found that wolves are an extreme threat when you're exploring alone if they attack in packs, which they often do.  You can quickly find yourself surrounded and being bit from your flanks as you try to focus on the wolf in front of you.  However, when traveling in small groups, they're not much of a threat at all.  Really, nothing in the mountains we've yet encountered as a serious threat when three of us were working together.  Even the high HP stone golems, while definitely a threat, can be pretty easily cheesed with multiple people.  You just take turns getting his attention while the others get in strikes from the back.  The things move so slow that it's easy to slip away from them.  

That's really one of my favorite things about this game.  You get that honest sense of progression.  Enemies that terrified me a week ago are swiftly dealt with now.  The trolls are the prime example.  I believe I called them ogres in my previous post, but I meant trolls.  They're giant blue assholes that either carry a giant club or chuck rocks at you, and in the early game they were a frightening force to be reckoned with.  The only way to deal with them back then was to keep your distance and slowly chip away at their health with arrows.  Today, while returning from the mountains, I ran right into a troll and just beat the absolute shit out of him.  So many games have switched to a system where the enemies scale with you, so it's nice and refreshing to play a throwback game where enemies are static and it's up to you to rise to the task of beating the toughest ones.

29.5 hours into Morrowind. 

Have been declared the Nevarine of the Dunmer. Now I have go to and unite the other tribes and then, presumably, lead a coalition to attack Dagoth-Ur at Red Mountain. 

(You'd think that dreamers and co. would realise there's a *reason* for the ghostwall around the damn mountain.)

Look bro, if you want to save the island from the scary dude turning people in to monsters you need proper government authorisation :lol:

Edit: I think the point is that if you're really The Neravarine and proven/acknowledged as such then you are essentially the leader of all the Dunmer and to plenty of people that's a rather more pressing political concern than some Dagoth dudes that the Tribunal have mostly been keeping in the Ghostfence for generations. Hence the need to go shake some hands, murder some dudes who aren't down for the new regime, and present someone with a not at all problematic slave bride.

12 hours ago, Clueless Northman said:

Yeah, wasn't this how it worked in Ultima Online as well?

Ultima Online is still running (turns 24 in September!). I started playing in 2000, and as it’s now free to play (with restrictions), I occasionally log in with 20-year old characters for nostalgia to wander about.

3 hours ago, Poobah said:

Look bro, if you want to save the island from the scary dude turning people in to monsters you need proper government authorisation :lol:

Edit: I think the point is that if you're really The Neravarine and proven/acknowledged as such then you are essentially the leader of all the Dunmer and to plenty of people that's a rather more pressing political concern than some Dagoth dudes that the Tribunal have mostly been keeping in the Ghostfence for generations. Hence the need to go shake some hands, murder some dudes who aren't down for the new regime, and present someone with a not at all problematic slave bride.

Hah! 

I've been bribing the absolute shit out of everyone to get things done nice and quickly. My fiancee asked why I didn't just charm them. I shrugged and said "bribing's easier". She frowned and said, slightly amused "there's the Russian part of you coming out in the game". 

But at least I found the mud crab trader - he's helped me amass a small fortune to make all this bribing a lot easier!

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

Hah! 

I've been bribing the absolute shit out of everyone to get things done nice and quickly. My fiancee asked why I didn't just charm them. I shrugged and said "bribing's easier". She frowned and said, slightly amused "there's the Russian part of you coming out in the game". 

But at least I found the mud crab trader - he's helped me amass a small fortune to make all this bribing a lot easier!

That crab is definitely a helpful, uh, crab.

5 hours ago, Poobah said:

I'm vaguely reminded of Dragon Age: Origin's plot, which had a similar "unite the groups!" element. Which is fine. It's a 20+ year old game - manage thine expectations and all that.

Managed to hit level 10 tonight, after taking out the crime lord on the plantation. And then sold gear I didn't want to a mudcrab for  tidy profit. What a world.

The island is now littered with the corpses of cliff racers, rats, those weird lizards, and the skeletal centipedes. I've left their bodies lying around to remind me of where I've already been, as some of the locations - particularly in the ashy north, look quite similar to one another. There's only so much you can do with a blasted land full of rocks and sand. 

I also very much like the speech praise/taunt/insult system, even if it isn't as complex as what Daggerfall offered. (Man, to have a modern game with the kind of options and variety it provided - that'd be nice.) It's still far better than the system in Oblivion. 

I'll at least try the Diablo II remaster...looks good.

I have been playing Shadowlands mixed with various console games.  I have Immortals Fenyx Rising going currently.  Pretty fun game but I'm not that far in.

Just now, Poobah said:

That crab is definitely a helpful, uh, crab.

Between him and Creeper in Caldera, it's a nice way to build up a small fortune. 

Now if only I knew why Dark Brotherhood berks kept attacking me out of the blue every now and then....

7 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Shadowlands? As in...WoW? Or a different game?

Yeah WoW...I can't keep pace anymore but I still log in and play sometimes.  I'd probably have a panic attack if I were to let that sub lapse.

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

Now if only I knew why Dark Brotherhood berks kept attacking me out of the blue every now and then....

That's because of an Expansion quest that needs you on the mainland. I know that in one of my playthrough attempts I somehow got there and was massacred by a random thug in the streets. I guess it's supposed to be endgame content.

Archived