Sign in to follow this  
Toth

Video Games - Sequels of Dread and Anticipation

Square have gone proper bonkers.

So Final Fantasy VII Ever Crisis is a remake of the entire Final Fantasy VII family of games in the style of FF7 but with upgraded graphics. It's basically what people originally asked for (the original game massively updated) rather than what they got with Remake.

It's mobile-only, but don't be surprised to see this hit PC and console as well.

36 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Square have gone proper bonkers.

So Final Fantasy VII Ever Crisis is a remake of the entire Final Fantasy VII family of games in the style of FF7 but with upgraded graphics. It's basically what people originally asked for (the original game massively updated) rather than what they got with Remake.

It's mobile-only, but don't be surprised to see this hit PC and console as well.

You’re right, that is everything I ever wanted in a FFVII remake.

And they also announced they are trickling out more of the FF7R content as well.

They've also got a Battle Royale game called FF7: The First Soldier - how very 2017 of them - coming out, but...it's also mobile only. Because that makes sense.

Absolutely no information whatsoever on Remake II, which is what people are really interested in, or anything on Final Fantasy XVI (which is actually, y'know, a new game).

8 hours ago, Fez said:

I started playing Torment: Tides of Numenera on Gamepass. It seems alright so far, if a bit over written. I remember it was considered a bit of a disappointment when it released a few years ago though. Has anyone else played it? Is it worth sticking with?

I keep trying to play it. And it just keeps failing to engage me. The characters in the party all bore me something fierce, and the interface, with its constant sliding text field, drove me bonkers. 

Ah, fuck. I already messed up my Hearts of Iron playthrough. I was annoyed that justifying a war goal took me 400 days for every tiny country, so when Paraguay joined the Comintern and the Axis offered me to join them in turn, I said 'whatever' and did it...

Yeah, so, bad idea. after finishing Paraguay I ended up wasting all my time failing to conquer take the three European colonies in the north for whatever reason. I had an overwhelming numerical advantage, but of course took a ridiculous amount of attrition and no matter what I did, I couldn't take them in their entrenched position.

I guess I will try again tomorrow not joining the axis for as long as the Allies have better things to do...

Deathloop looking very tasty. Arkane doing something lighter and funnier than their normal wont, with their traditional flair for unusual mechanics.

Also, not enough video games get Bond-style theme songs.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

They've also got a Battle Royale game called FF7: The First Soldier - how very 2017 of them - coming out, but...it's also mobile only. Because that makes sense.

Absolutely no information whatsoever on Remake II, which is what people are really interested in, or anything on Final Fantasy XVI (which is actually, y'know, a new game).

Why make new games when you can just remake old games and make them simultaneously prettier and shittier? 

Cool news on the FF mobile game. I have more confidence in Square to handle remakes well than new entries.

Maybe we'll see some more of this with the other classic FF entries (i.e. the ones for which we have Uematsu soundtracks)?

10 hours ago, Toth said:

Ah, fuck. I already messed up my Hearts of Iron playthrough. I was annoyed that justifying a war goal took me 400 days for every tiny country, so when Paraguay joined the Comintern and the Axis offered me to join them in turn, I said 'whatever' and did it...

Yeah, so, bad idea. after finishing Paraguay I ended up wasting all my time failing to conquer take the three European colonies in the north for whatever reason. I had an overwhelming numerical advantage, but of course took a ridiculous amount of attrition and no matter what I did, I couldn't take them in their entrenched position.

I guess I will try again tomorrow not joining the axis for as long as the Allies have better things to do...

What's your attacking force composition like? In HoI4, most of the time you need either air force (with both fighters for air superiority and CAS for damage) or armored units to break through an entrenched defensive line, preferably both. Unless the enemy is very weak, throwing waves of infantry at them will only result in a bunch of wasted manpower and material.

Also, check the supply area map. If your forces in the area cannot be supplied, they're basically worthless. Infrastructure investment is often the smartest thing you can do with your civilian industry capacity.

46 minutes ago, Gorn said:

What's your attacking force composition like? In HoI4, most of the time you need either air force (with both fighters for air superiority and CAS for damage) or armored units to break through an entrenched defensive line, preferably both. Unless the enemy is very weak, throwing waves of infantry at them will only result in a bunch of wasted manpower and material.

I have lots of fighters and CAS. My two airbases next to the front line had a composition of 130 CAS and 70 fighters each. Armored units I'm absolutely lacking unfortunately. I haven't managed to build a tank division yet, I only have some cavalry and motorized infantry.

46 minutes ago, Gorn said:

Also, check the supply area map. If your forces in the area cannot be supplied, they're basically worthless. Infrastructure investment is often the smartest thing you can do with your civilian industry capacity.

Yes, my infrastructure sucked massively. The Amazonas territory was just at 2 infrastructure. I now went to a massive improvement campaign there. But I'm still annoyed how far the air base there is away from countries like Columbia, rendering my air superiority essentially worthless.

I tried another go this morning. Paraguay still joined the Comintern, this time I refused to join the Axis. Paraguay folded very fast, allowing me to then also attack Bolivia, which then also joined the Comintern. The USSR declared for on me, but so far I haven't seen them. I guess they are busy fighting the Germans. Unfortunately Peru then joined the axis and also attacked Bolivia, taking two provinces in the process. I got myself talked into signing a non-aggression pact with Peru, thinking it might be neat to keep them around as an ally once I'm in a war with the USA and join the axis.

Unfortunately I'm a bit stumped about what I should do next. Technically the next target I'm justifying a wargoal for is Columbia, but the border area is extremely short on their end, while I on my side have to deal with the giant ass amazonas area. My air base and radar tower are so far away they are essentially useless and my troops are facing a 10 unit stack on the Columbian side. Technically the best way to take them on may be a naval invasion, but I have neither the transport ships, nor a coast on the west side of the continent. So I'm wondering whether to abort justifying my wargoal and take other countries first. Argentina looks juicy thanks to its steel production. On the other hand I'm wondering whether I should declare a war and play defensively, hoping they break their teeth on my lines entrenched behind rivers while my main army deals with other countries. But that's very risky given how bad I am at combat yet and how numerically inferior my secondary army is.

34 minutes ago, Toth said:

I have lots of fighters and CAS. My two airbases next to the front line had a composition of 130 CAS and 70 fighters each. Armored units I'm absolutely lacking unfortunately. I haven't managed to build a tank division yet, I only have some cavalry and motorized infantry.

Tank divisions are a late-game luxury if you're playing as a minor nation, requiring a lot of industry and oil as well as following a dedicated research branch, so planes are often a better investment to improve your offense. Motorized is good for capturing (plains, high-infrastructure) territory quickly but doesn't actually improve your attack, while cavalry is a waste of material that could be spent on leg infantry instead. HOI4 generally doesn't explain its mechanics to new players very well, and it took me more than 200 hours of play time and multiple online guides to figure out what I'm supposed do with my navy.

Couple of tips that you might find helpful:

- Your divisions should have width of 5, 10, 20 or 40, and bigger is better unless you're stretched thin. Due to the way combat width works, anything else will result in a waste of efficiency. There are online guides which explain this in detail.

- Try to combine as many positive modifiers for your units before attacking. Some of them you get through research (doctrines, improved weapons, encryption/decryption), some through training (army exercises can make your divisions 25% better, and also provide experience you'll need to redesign your divisions), some through air superiority, some through tactics (attacking from multiple directions, using proper troops on proper terrain), and some from your general's stats. Make sure your troops are at maximum strength and organization, and check the supply map from time to time.

- Planning bonus modifier can be nice, but I generally avoid giving troops to AI generals since they're awfully stupid. Micromanaging your divisions is more stressful, but way more efficient.

- If nothing else works, try weakening (or even abandoning) some of your frontline provinces to lure the enemy AI out of their entrenched positions, and then smashing them on the counterattack.

Edited by Gorn

Ya’ll are over here detailing heavy strategy in world conquest... meanwhile, I discovered Risk in the Nintendo store for the Switch.  Anyone wanna hear the story of the time I traded in 8 cards for 30 armies and managed to retake the entire world when all I had left was Japan?

:lol: 

I moved into our new house about a year ago now and the basement was set up with surround sound (this is the most 90's house ever).  Well, this week I got my tax return back and splurged on a new receiver and picked up the Hue MIDI sync.  Fired that up last night and it was awesome.  Lights that moved along with the action (I've got 10 basement lights connected to it) along with full surround sound was about the most immersive experience outside of VR.  It was also super cool to watch my 2 year old watch Toy Story 2 on it.  Within the first 30 seconds the entire room swept bright blue's and reds as Buzz entered the atmosphere.  Definitely gonna have some fun with this setup.

7 hours ago, Gorn said:

- If nothing else works, try weakening (or even abandoning) some of your frontline provinces to lure the enemy AI out of their entrenched positions, and then smashing them on the counterattack.

Ludendorff would be proud.

8 hours ago, Gorn said:

Tank divisions are a late-game luxury if you're playing as a minor nation, requiring a lot of industry and oil as well as following a dedicated research branch, so planes are often a better investment to improve your offense. Motorized is good for capturing (plains, high-infrastructure) territory quickly but doesn't actually improve your attack, while cavalry is a waste of material that could be spent on leg infantry instead. HOI4 generally doesn't explain its mechanics to new players very well, and it took me more than 200 hours of play time and multiple online guides to figure out what I'm supposed do with my navy.

Out of curiosity, how closely does HOI4 keep to historical outcomes if the player doesnt rock the boat?  I played hundreds of hours of HOI2 (mostly with the CORE realism mod), but was turned off of HOI3 partly by bugs, but also by the fact that it seemed to go more the route of the EU games where the AI has some vague goals, but after a few years, nothing looks anything like what really happened if you just let it play out.  I really enjoyed playing out different strategies for prosecuting the war, but not really interested if tons of ahistorical stuff is going off constantly (France joining the Axis or whatever).

38 minutes ago, horangi said:

Out of curiosity, how closely does HOI4 keep to historical outcomes if the player doesnt rock the boat?  I played hundreds of hours of HOI2 (mostly with the CORE realism mod), but was turned off of HOI3 partly by bugs, but also by the fact that it seemed to go more the route of the EU games where the AI has some vague goals, but after a few years, nothing looks anything like what really happened if you just let it play out.  I really enjoyed playing out different strategies for prosecuting the war, but not really interested if tons of ahistorical stuff is going off constantly (France joining the Axis or whatever).

The game has an option to toggle historical AI. From some timelapses I saw on Youtube it seems that the historical mode does a pretty decent job. I'm actually also playing historical and so far nothing too insane happened. Even Franco snapped back after his situation looked grim at first. The only oddities are some odd delays, which I probably only notice because I very recently did a lesson on WW2 which made me quite conscious of things like the USSR taking its sweet time taking the baltic states or the UK bumbling around in Africa, utterly failing to contain Italy, while at the same time Germany attacked the USSR quite early and yet barely made it past the Curzon line.

Interestingly, from what I gathered during my research there are some eccentricities hard-coded into the game in case you go off-the-rails. I was interested to see what happens if you turn Germany democratic and apparently the game then makes France fascist or communist just to rail-road you into some kind of conflict.

13 minutes ago, Toth said:

The game has an option to toggle historical AI. From some timelapses I saw on Youtube it seems that the historical mode does a pretty decent job. I'm actually also playing historical and so far nothing too insane happened. Even Franco snapped back after his situation looked grim at first. The only oddities are some odd delays, which I probably only notice because I very recently did a lesson on WW2 which made me quite conscious of things like the USSR taking its sweet time taking the baltic states or the UK bumbling around in Africa, utterly failing to contain Italy, while at the same time Germany attacked the USSR quite early and yet barely made it past the Curzon line.

Interestingly, from what I gathered during my research there are some eccentricities hard-coded into the game in case you go off-the-rails. I was interested to see what happens if you turn Germany democratic and apparently the game then makes France fascist or communist just to rail-road you into some kind of conflict.

Cool, thanks for the insight!  I will have to give it a go one of these days.  I am OK with the AI bumbling around in the actual wars or trying a slightly different strategy (e.g. trying to arm for operation Sealion).  IIRC UK often bumbled North Africa, even in HOI2.  I am curious to see how the Maginot line holds up.  I remember back when the team that built CORE was working on the scripting for that part of the war, it was really hard to get France to lose when given historically accurate numbers.  (The French Order of Battle in 1939 was actually pretty strong.) In essence, they couldnt get the AI to play dumb enough to reflect the historical incompetence of the French political leadership :D.

Okay, I have obviously no clue whatsoever how to use a fallback line. I declared war on Columbia. Columbia immediately attacked and I was loosing the battle on every single front line, just as expected. Beforehand I drew a fallback-line, so I... think I ordered them to go back to it? But it turned out I think that was only a move order. So they bunched up all in one place while the Columbians freely advanced everywhere else, which dissolved the fallback-line. I then frantically ordered ordered my army to "defend province". Which... was somehow understood as walking to the south-east edge of the amazonas territory, as far away from the enemy as possible, and... sit there. And then when the Columbians continued their advance, my army... attacked with one division at a time, watching them get massacred one by one.

Okay, the hell?!?

You guys seeing any of this hype on Outriders , Square-Enix looter 3rd person cover shooter? Bunch of the streamers I browse have it on today and it definitely looks like it could be my kind of jam. Dpends on how much the loot and character builds vary and whether it has the grindy replayable endgame I love my ARPGs for. There's a demo out for free that looks like it gets a few hours of play, so I think I'm going to download it this weekend.

I miss a proper demo, anyways - seems like a lost piece of PC gaming. Remember old PC Gamer demo disks? I got so many hours of fun for the price of one magazine; plus, the gamer magazines back then were freakin' awesome anyway. 

The only Hearts of Iron I played was 3, but usually it went quite historical. I would assume HOI4 isn't worse. In 3, unless you tried to actively undermine other major powers, most countries ended up within their historical sides, the only differences happening in Latin America. Some early WWII events happened fast or were strangely delayed, the most common difference was the invasion of Norway, which didn't happen half the time, and Norway and Yugoslavia/Greece invasions rarely happened in a similar relationship to the 1940 France campaign. That was probably caused by the triggers used to code these events. Of course, as a human player, you can go bonkers, like USSR invading or annexing Turkey and Finland before 1939, Italy puppeting or annexing the Balkans, or Germany going straight for Leningrad by seaborne invasion, and the more you acted ahistorically, the more ahistorical the general course of the way, if only because major powers, first of all the US, would come closer to war earlier than normal. I once played Canada and had a lot of fun landing in Africa and taking back countries and colonies that had gone to the dark side, eventually shipping the bulk of my troops to Morocco, having a tough day defending against Germany counterattack, until the US seized the opportunity and sent mass troops to free all North Africa.

When it came to HOI3 Spain, odds probably favoured a bit the Nationalists, but I would still assume the Republic wins 1 out of 3 times.