Video Games - Sequels of Dread and Anticipation

Toth

6 hours ago, Fez said:

There's always more people who can buy a game. As of last April, The Witcher 3 was up to 30 million copies sold; which is a big number. However, by contrast, Rockstar just announced that GTA5 is up to 140 million copies sold (including selling another 10 million copies in the past 9 months).

That's GTA5 and GTA Online combined (they're in the same game package but Rockstar treats them individually, oddly) across two generations. I still can't fathom why it's sold that many copies though.

And it's going to go even higher. The PS5/XBX versions will add millions more to the total. Completely bonkers.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

That's GTA5 and GTA Online combined (they're in the same game package but Rockstar treats them individually, oddly) across two generations. I still can't fathom why it's sold that many copies though.

And it's going to go even higher. The PS5/XBX versions will add millions more to the total. Completely bonkers.

It's all about Twitch. GTA Online is super popular on Twitch

1 hour ago, Relic said:

It's all about Twitch. GTA Online is super popular on Twitch

Oh, good point.

Apparently some people have also bought multiple copies for GTA Online purposes (to get over the two-characters-per-copy-of-the-game limitation), but I doubt there's enough of them to account for more than a couple of million of sales.

I've also seen people who bought it on release for PS3/XB360, picked it up again on PS4/XB1, then again on PC and will probably get it again on PS5/XBX, which is crazy. The first game to sprawl across three generations. Even Bethesda aren't doing that with Skyrim (although may be they will now!).

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

It's just a way to artificially increase the numbers. It's why for example, a podcast might break up a two hour show into four parts. It counts as four downloads.

Also, I know I bought two copies because the PC version was trash when I got it. I gave up pretty quickly, but after I bought my PS4 GTA5 was one of the first three games I got. 

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's just a way to artificially increase the numbers. It's why for example, a podcast might break up a two hour show into four parts. It counts as four downloads.

Not in this case. GTA5 has genuinely sold 140 million copies, it's not 70 million copies and they're counting it twice, that'd be fairly fraudulent reporting (and they'd do the same for RDR2 to push it up to 60 million).

Also, I know I bought two copies because the PC version was trash when I got it. I gave up pretty quickly, but after I bought my PS4 GTA5 was one of the first three games I got. 

In what way? GTA5's PC port was pretty flawless, unlike GTA4's which was unplayable for a fair while until they fixed it.

19 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Not in this case. GTA5 has genuinely sold 140 million copies, it's not 70 million copies and they're counting it twice, that'd be fairly fraudulent reporting (and they'd do the same for RDR2 to push it up to 60 million).

Interesting. Well if that's the case I have no answer for you. I just know it's a common practice to creatively double count things like this.

In what way? GTA5's PC port was pretty flawless, unlike GTA4's which was unplayable for a fair while until they fixed it.

Well for starters the game glitched a lot when you loaded it. Once in game it was mostly fine, though I much prefer to play the game with a controller than a keyboard. But yeah, sometimes it would start up fine on the first try and other times it could literally take over an hour for the game to start. The laptop I was using, while not ideal, did meet the requirements to play the game and GTA5 was the only game it ever had issues with (it was an i5 HP laptop with a kickass graphics card for the time). 

I think I recall hearing at some stage that buying an additional copy of GTA5 got people more of the included online currency than spending the equivalent money on micro transactions would have.

So people bought multiple copies just for the extra vbucks (or whatever the currency was).

There are a handful of 360 era games that I bought again on PC since I don't want to keep the 360 connected to the TV anymore; so I get the idea of double-buying. Though I think it's something to be done rarely. And the way backwards compatibility works now, it seems like something that should be a thing of the past going forward. 

I do actually have two copies of GTA5 myself; though in fairness the second one was just claiming it from the Epic Game Store when it was the free game there, and I've never even downloaded it. I played GTA5 back on the 360 and I can't imagine playing it again.

On 2/5/2021 at 5:52 AM, Ghostlydragon said:

I'm currently playing Ni No Kuni 2. Great game but I prefer the first one. The kingdom building part is a cool addition to the series.

I got it a year or so ago for the Kingdom Building--and I quit right about when that started. The booger scene just felt so...non Ni No Kuni to me. It was the last straw over three to four hours of disappointment (the monster catching change really is what pushed me away the most).

I'm not familiar with GTA, but what is the possibility of VAC bans for the PC version? 

CSGO used to always be in the top 10 bestsellers on Steam when it wasn't free and most steam profiles I saw that had a VAC banned also owned CSGO. They'd have to make a new account and repurchase the game if they want to continue playing. I'd imagine that they would also cheat on their new accounts and repeat the cycle, which is why it sold so well. :ack:

10 hours ago, Werthead said:

Bella Ramsey to play Ellie in the Last of Us TV show. Apparently Mahershala Ali was offered the role of Joel but turned it down.

Really mining that GoT talent.

The part in the Deadline report that makes me wonder about the mechanics is this:

The actor recently became available for a new series

What does that mean, exactly? Was it more that he and the Mandalorian team agreed to schedule him in such a way that he needed to be on set even less, or actually decided to just have his double/stunt performers handle many more of the sequences than they have so far?

Good for him, in any case. He's had a stellar rise to prominence ever since his breakout performance on Game of Thrones. Enjoyed him in just about everything I've seen him in since.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

The part in the Deadline report that makes me wonder about the mechanics is this:

What does that mean, exactly? Was it more that he and the Mandalorian team agreed to schedule him in such a way that he needed to be on set even less, or actually decided to just have his double/stunt performers handle many more of the sequences than they have so far?

Good for him, in any case. He's had a stellar rise to prominence ever since his breakout performance on Game of Thrones. Enjoyed him in just about everything I've seen him in since.

Mando III has been pushed back because of the Boba Fett show (which is in production now), although assuming that Last of Us starts shooting imminently (which I'd expect based on the timeline), it does look like there'd be an overlap, unless Mando III is going to debut later than expected (as in, late 2022).

I suspect that with Pascal becoming more of a hot ticket, there was a decision reached that he could do more stuff and they will use doubles more often, or they might be planning for Mando III to be the last season (despite reports of a four-year arc being planned). Or they're just no longer wedded to bringing the show out ASAP and are willing to have longer gaps between seasons, filled in by the spin-offs.

Archived