Video Games - Sequels of Dread and Anticipation

Toth

57 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I will not break!

Three months later and still no PS5, but I’m not giving those bastards one cent. 

53 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Yeah, I haven't been able to get one either. Though it can't run Goldeneye so it's less of a priority for now. 

Stay strong brothers!  I was lucky with a Best Buy release and in the language of the skeezy Twitter accounts was able to "Cop that W."  The scalping situation is disgusting to me on a lot of levels and if I was Sony I would be utterly embarrassed.  These guys are barely one step above the guys that were driving around to all the Dollar General stores buying up all the hand sanitizer and toilet paper last March and then acted like they were "providing a service" by getting stock to people that otherwise couldn't get it.

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Stay strong brothers!  I was lucky with a Best Buy release and in the language of the skeezy Twitter accounts was able to "Cop that W."  The scalping situation is disgusting to me on a lot of levels and if I was Sony I would be utterly embarrassed.  These guys are barely one step above the guys that were driving around to all the Dollar General stores buying up all the hand sanitizer and toilet paper last March and then acted like they were "providing a service" by getting stock to people that otherwise couldn't get it.

So capitalism bad? 

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

How is the new GoldenEye?

I only played the first two levels on the easiest difficulty on my computer because as I said before emulated it runs worse than the 64 version. Looks a lot better and the controls are a lot better, but if more than one guard is shooting it becomes a slideshow. I'm waiting on the parts to mod my old 360 and run it on that. 

If you have a decent processor and a card that supports DX12 it should run, maybe not perfectly. I had to disable ROV and force the Xenia emulator to use DX12 in the config file on my windows 10 laptop. 

I've heard it's very good though, people are having a lot of fun playing multiplayer online via system link and some third party software. They added three new multiplayer maps too. There are apparently a few missing textures and a handful of bugs but the game is essentially complete. It also has that feature where you can switch between original and updated graphics. 

I'm just so glad it leaked. That was a minor miracle. A couple days after I was on here wishing it would leak too. 

9 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I only played the first two levels on the easiest difficulty on my computer because as I said before emulated it runs worse than the 64 version.

Sorry, missed that. I was hoping there was some remastered version. 

Speaking of N64s, I'm cleaning some stuff out for an eventual move and I found the one my friend gave me when he moved out of his last place. Unfortunately the only games it came with were All-Star Baseball 99 and Diddy Kong Racing. I wonder if this thing works. Sounds like there's pebbles in it when I shake it.  

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sorry, missed that. I was hoping there was some remastered version. 

Oh, there is! The version Rare developed for the xbox 360 in 2007. It never officially came out but leaked like a week ago:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/02/we-have-finally-played-the-lost-official-goldeneye-007-remaster-for-xbox-360/

So you either need to emulate it or run it on a modded 360 that can run unsigned code. 

Edit: someone has now modded the leaked version to use mouse and keyboard controls. Makes the game much easier apparently. 

So I pumped 20 hours into Age of Empires: Definitive Edition, completed the first two campaigns, but it turns out that quite a few of the other campaigns are heavily bugged: the game doesn't acknowledge the difficulty choice for certain missions, setting them to maximum regardless of what you've set the choice to in the menu. It's a bug that'll never be fixed (the designers having long ago moved onto Age of Empires II and III, recently churning out a brand new expansion pack for Empires II). There's also another bug that sometimes mashes characters standing near one another into one horrible mutant unit that can't move or attack. Mounting an assault on an enemy town with 25 dudes to find two-thirds of them have Jeff Goldblumed into some horrific gestalt entity is quite something. So I'll probably ditch that and move on to Empires II (I got all three in a special deal pack, so not a huge loss).

I did return to GTA with San Andreas and holy shit the "upgrade pack" mod for the game is pretty much unbelievable. It makes the game look so much better than either of the other two, and that's just with the increased resolution and improved textures. There's other mods that really go to town and make it look at least as good as GTAIV, if not a bit better than that (not on the same level of GTAV on PC of course, but nothing like a 17-year-old game should look) but I decided I wanted to OG it. The controls are also a lot tighter and more approachable, helped by the fact that SA itself had much improved UI, controls and interface over GTA3 and VC.

Having to got to the gym every third or fourth mission is still mildly irritating though.

4 hours ago, IlyaP said:

*scrolls through posts*

Oh yes. Morrowind. 

Oh boy. 

This should be, uh, fun.

I look forward to hearing how it goes. Let us know if you need any mod recommendations or advice or whatever to get in to it.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

So I pumped 20 hours into Age of Empires: Definitive Edition, completed the first two campaigns, but it turns out that quite a few of the other campaigns are heavily bugged: the game doesn't acknowledge the difficulty choice for certain missions, setting them to maximum regardless of what you've set the choice to in the menu. It's a bug that'll never be fixed (the designers having long ago moved onto Age of Empires II and III, recently churning out a brand new expansion pack for Empires II). There's also another bug that sometimes mashes characters standing near one another into one horrible mutant unit that can't move or attack. Mounting an assault on an enemy town with 25 dudes to find two-thirds of them have Jeff Goldblumed into some horrific gestalt entity is quite something. So I'll probably ditch that and move on to Empires II (I got all three in a special deal pack, so not a huge loss).

I did return to GTA with San Andreas and holy shit the "upgrade pack" mod for the game is pretty much unbelievable. It makes the game look so much better than either of the other two, and that's just with the increased resolution and improved textures. There's other mods that really go to town and make it look at least as good as GTAIV, if not a bit better than that (not on the same level of GTAV on PC of course, but nothing like a 17-year-old game should look) but I decided I wanted to OG it. The controls are also a lot tighter and more approachable, helped by the fact that SA itself had much improved UI, controls and interface over GTA3 and VC.

Having to got to the gym every third or fourth mission is still mildly irritating though.

You never had to go to the gym in SA. You can get in shape by just running around. Or you can just be fat cj.

4 hours ago, Poobah said:

I look forward to hearing how it goes. Let us know if you need any mod recommendations or advice or whatever to get in to it.

The journal as quest system is awful. As is the tiny little arrow of a map indicator. Is there a better quest tracking mod out there? 

40 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

The journal as quest system is awful. As is the tiny little arrow of a map indicator. Is there a better quest tracking mod out there? 

Uh back in the day I used a notebook.

The minimap is tiny but you can actually keep the larger one that iirc you can resize from the inventory/skills/etc menu screen up while playing; there should be a little square in the corner of each of the panels that you can click on to keep them on screen while the menus are otherwise closed.

11 minutes ago, Poobah said:

Uh back in the day I used a notebook.

It's like Myst all over again! *sigh*

Nexus Mods, here I come!

I tried installing a Clear Road Signs mod, but for whatever reason it's not working in Vortex. Guess it'll require a bit of jiggery-pokery. 

3 hours ago, Slurktan said:

You never had to go to the gym in SA. You can get in shape by just running around. Or you can just be fat cj.

If you don't want to risk getting caught short in enemy gang territory, you do need to get in shape. Doing that by "just running around" also takes forever, as opposed to four trips to the gym. What's annoying is that you start to degrade, even if you run around like a lunatic, so every now and then you need to do a top-up at the gym and there's some sort of diminishing returns in the system, so you have to work out more and more to get smaller gains. It's also the fastest way to boost your stamina so you don't collapse after running 5 feet.

It's not the end of the world, but it's a bit more busywork which detracts from everything else that's going on (which is quite a lot; it takes about as long to complete everything in Los Santos by itself as it does to play through Grand Theft Auto III from start to finish in its entirety).

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

So capitalism bad? 

What they are doing isn’t illegal, but it’s definitely immoral.  There comes a day when everyone needs to be able to look themself in the mirror.  I don’t see how those types can do that.

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

Map indicator in Morrowind? I'm not sure what you're referring to. There isn't a system of "active quests tracker" as far as I remember, and that's one of the great things in the game that's been sorely botched in many recent games. On the other hand, the quest journal is quite bad, sometimes you really have no idea who you should go back to when you've done your task, or where that person is. Going to UESP to check their Morrowind pages is definitely helpful. Thankfully at least you have a complete listing of current quests available in your journal. And you often have 20-30 of them at the same time, specially once you joing several guilds and factions :D

9 hours ago, Rhom said:

What they are doing isn’t illegal, but it’s definitely immoral.  There comes a day when everyone needs to be able to look themself in the mirror.  I don’t see how those types can do that.

Lol, what? How is it immoral. It's a fucking PS5, get a grip. They aren't jacking up prices on valuable medications, or taking food out of people's mouths. It's a luxury item that nobody needs. As far as the free market goes, these people are doing absolutely nothing wrong. 

Archived