Video Games - Sequels of Dread and Anticipation

Toth

50 minutes ago, Toth said:

I'm curious to see how far you'll get.

Have gotten as far as Holamayan, to meet up with Mehra Milo after rescuing her from the Ministry of Truth in Vivec. 

By the looks of it, I'm about half-way through the game now, after about all of...16 or so hours. 

28 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Have gotten as far as Holamayan, to meet up with Mehra Milo after rescuing her from the Ministry of Truth in Vivec. 

By the looks of it, I'm about half-way through the game now, after about all of...16 or so hours. 

There's a lot of game in Morrowind but yeah in terms of the main quest that sounds about right.

On 2/16/2021 at 11:31 PM, Poobah said:

There's a lot of game in Morrowind but yeah in terms of the main quest that sounds about right.

It's certainly a lot more visually diverse than Oblivion or Skyrim. Though I think Skyrim has it beat for sheer addictiveness and ease of...modditability? (Is that even a word?) 

There are a lot of features and options completely gutted from the game. Like - languages for example, were gutted. A lot of the ideas Julian LeFay brought to the series are gone here, including climbing, more complex thieving, richer class features, etc.

But the game is still quite fun despite that.

I think it took me three playthroughs of Morrowind to finish the main quest, which I found pretty boring and tedious. It's a game that I love for the exploration and weirdness of the world and all the guild quests and turning your character into someone who can fly around the world at breakneck speed. It was also my first Bethesda game, so it was pretty mindblowing to me when I first played it. But main quests are definitely something that Bethesda have improved on since then.

I believe the general feeling is that Morrowind's two expansions have better storylines than the main game (not a dissimilar experience to Oblivion, where everyone seems to agree that Shivering Isles is a lot better). Interestingly one of the two expansions is based on the same island that Skyrim's Dragonborn expansion is set on and is almost identical, barring a couple of ruins.

Yeah I was all about that exploration in Morrowind, it's such a packed place with all kinds of little nooks and crannies and secrets to discover. I have overall good feelings about most of the other big quest chain type deals as well though - from what I remember the Fighter's Guild line is pretty meh but I remember enjoying some of the Mages guild stuff and particularly the later Thieves stuff. Both Temples (Tribunal and Imperial Cult) have a bunch of fun and weird quests, an then there's the Great Houses (hard to choose between Hlaalu with "Uncle" Crassius, and the craziness of House Telvanni), oh and the Imperial Legion was interesting too. 

Also yeah I mostly agree about the expansions. A lot of detail and time was put in to them and they're very good. I remember being a bit down on Tribunal because of all the time in the sewers and getting ambushed by infinity Dark Brotherhood dudes, but I really liked the story.

Edit: I'm so close to installing Morrowind again, but I need to find some kinda CD or DVD drive I can attach to my computer, I'm not sure if I own one any more :lol:

Yeah the thing with Morrowind is that the main quest can be done quite fast, but you won't be strong enough usually. And then there's a shitload of side-quests, and numerous factions and guilds, including the Morag Tong assassins if you can find them, and their feud with the Dark Brotherhood.

Besides, once you discuss with people and read books, there's the whole backstory of the disappearance of the dwarves, and the whole story of what truly happened with Nerevar.

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

not a dissimilar experience to Oblivion, where everyone seems to agree that Shivering Isles is a lot better

*Really?!*

I found Shivering Isles *so* tedious and dull. I was so bored of the game by the time I got to it and it did nothing to engage me further. (I also find Sheogorath, as a character, to be very annoying.)

3 hours ago, Poobah said:

Edit: I'm so close to installing Morrowind again, but I need to find some kinda CD or DVD drive I can attach to my computer, I'm not sure if I own one any more

It's on GOG and Steam, naturally.

I will say that the new consoles run old stuff so much better. Like you're absolutely right that there's nothing that you need a new console to play right now, but if you play your console a lot doing it on a new console - even the lower budget series S - is absolutely remarkably better. The SSD makes such a crazy difference. 

In that way the new consoles are far more like PC upgrades than they are new gens of console upgrades. And that is both bad (no killer game yet to require an upgrade) and really awesome (everything you like to do is just way better, and you can do all the old stuff just like you could the new). 

4 hours ago, Poobah said:

Edit: I'm so close to installing Morrowind again, but I need to find some kinda CD or DVD drive I can attach to my computer, I'm not sure if I own one any more :lol:

It's currently £3.29 on GoG with all the expansions, plus bugfixes built into the current build so it'll play nice on modern PCs. Plus it's by far the easiest version to mod if you ever want to go down that direction.

16 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

If you do get Morrowind on Steam, be aware the start up is buggy.

Once it’s downloaded you have to open it from programs.  Not through your steam library. (There’s probably a way to fix this, but I haven’t bothered) 

Yes, the fix is not to buy any Bethesda game on Steam. The Steam versions of the older games are borked and you have to jump through hoops to fix them, whilst the GoG versions are all pre-patched up and fixed so they should work fine on Windows 10. Skyrim and Fallout 4 are fine (and 76 if you want to go there), but anything pre-Skyrim on Steam is a pain in the arse.

31 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Go back in time and tell this to my younger self one month ago when I bought Morrowind on Steam.

Have you played more than 2 hours of it? If not you can get a refund.

If not, it's still cheap enough on GoG to make it arguably worthwhile (the changes don't do anything to the save games AFAIK, so you can just move the saves over). This happened when I got New Vegas on Steam and making it work properly was a pain in the arse, to the point where it would crash on loading a saved game so the only way to make it work was "start new game" and then load the saved game from within the worldspace, which was stupid (not too time-consuming, just irritating), so when New Vegas was dirt cheap on GoG I just double dipped on it.

You can replicate I think all of the GoG fixes on the Bethesda games manually, it's just mildly irritating to do it.

26 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Have you played more than 2 hours of it? If not you can get a refund.

I'm at about 9 hours of game time right now. So the refund isn't an option.

But thank you for the rest of the information.

The only bug I've run into myself is that I can't start the game through Steam library. If any other bugs pop up, buying it again from GoG is probably what I'll do.

Edit: Ha. Now that I think about it, I've only ever gotten one game from GoG. Oxenfree for free years ago when someone on the forum mentioned it. Probably you.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yes, the fix is not to buy any Bethesda game on Steam. The Steam versions of the older games are borked and you have to jump through hoops to fix them, whilst the GoG versions are all pre-patched up and fixed so they should work fine on Windows 10. Skyrim and Fallout 4 are fine (and 76 if you want to go there), but anything pre-Skyrim on Steam is a pain in the arse.

Weird. I'm using the Steam version and have absolutely no problems whatsoever. 

To be fair, I've also installed usermade fan-patches. The only real issue I have is that occasionally my left monitor will be darkened after quitting the game, requiring me to close the game via Task Manager. Aside from that though....

Archived