George R.R. Martin favourites characters?

Lord Middlefinger

Cripples, bastards, broken things and rogues.

I doubt he likes Varys/Littlefinger/Larys - rather he has some grudging respect for them, they have their counterpart in early novel "Dying of the Light".

His wife loves Arya - I am not certain about him as he toys with killing her off in interviews.

For Women appearance buxom or redheads seen to be the type, in F&B  - supposedly his favorite of all Targaryens is Daemon who he calls a "grey" character.

Tyrion seems to be favorite in Asoiaf:

Tyrion is my favorite character. Okay? OKAY? Can we PLEASE put that one to rest?? I love all my viewpoint characters, Arya and Sansa and Bran, Jon Snow and Brienne, Arianne and Cersei and Jaime, Theon, even Victarion and the Damphair, ALL of them, but I love Tyrion the bestest. Tyrion son of Tywin, the Imp, second son of Casterly Rock. How many bloody times do I need to say it?? I swear, from now on, whenever anybody asks me, "who is you favorite character," I am going to start naming characters from other people's books. Cugel the Clever. Flashman. Gatsby. Hotspur. Solomon Kane. A different one each time…

Tyrion, although he is  “ the villain”, in his words.  I think he listed Arya and Dany joint second, and Jon fourth.  Although he said he loves Cersei, he did once remark he needed a shower after writing her chapters.

Three of my favourite characters are villains, Tyrion, Cersei, and Roose Bolton.  They’re appalling people, but usually fun to read.

27 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Tyrion, although he is  “ the villain”, in his words.  I think he listed Arya and Dany joint second, and Jon fourth.  Although he said he loves Cersei, he did once remark he needed a shower after writing her chapters.

Yes, I also remember reading somewhere that it was Tyrion, Arya and Dany. 

Edit: I got the interview

19 hours ago, Eltharion21 said:

His wife loves Arya - I am not certain about him as he toys with killing her off in interviews.

Can you provide a source for that? 

Anyway, I think Tyrion is his favorite but Arya, Dany and Jon follow right after. 

“I do have my favorite characters, of course. Tyrion, Arya, Jon … but I love them all. Even the ones I kill.” -GRRM

~

A part from Tyron, is there any female character you love more than the others?

George: Oh, probably Arya.

~

Now he was asked, not about favorites exactly, but who he enjoys writing for the most?

GRRM: Tyrion and Arya.

~

George did an interview where he was complimented on his 2 most popular, compelling and vivid characters in Tyrion and Dany. George disagrees and names Arya & Jon instead.

~

GRRM's favorite line in the books is a line Jon tells Arya when they last met "Stick 'em with the pointy end." << This line comes up several times in both Jon & Arya's POVs.

~

Will Arya have any significant impact on events later in the series?

No comment. - GRRM :read:

Just another teasing quote from George:

Any particular storyline is enjoying right now?

He said that Dany's storyline is emerging in increasing importance. But he is struggling with the Meereenese Knot. So he can't say he is enjoying it. But he is really enjoying writing Arya's story.

~

George loved all the Tywin/Arya scenes and wished he could have thought of pairing them in scenes in the books as well.

Another wonderful scene George appreciated that D&D wrote just for the show:

”[Game of Thrones showrunners] David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss] added a beautiful touch to that, [at Ned's execution], which wasn’t in the books, which was Ned recognizing Yoren in the crowd and recognizing Arya and whispering ‘Baelor.’ That little touch is not in the books, but I wish it had been in the books because it was a great addition.” GRRM

18 minutes ago, MissM said:

Can you provide a source for that? 

Anyway, I think Tyrion is his favorite but Arya, Dany and Jon follow right after. 

I remember hearing it in some interview/panel, on this site-link information comes supposedly from actress of Arya: Maisie Williams in Tv show, but also 2016 panel in Mexico.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/641666/amazon-most-loved-section?utm_content=infinitescroll1

37 minutes ago, Eltharion21 said:

I remember hearing it in some interview/panel, on this site-link information comes supposedly from actress of Arya: Maisie Williams in Tv show, but also 2016 panel in Mexico.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/641666/amazon-most-loved-section?utm_content=infinitescroll1

Oh you mean when he mentioned Parris his wife not wanting Arya (her favorite character) to die and that he would divorce him if he did. 

My guess is Tyrion is the most fun to write for him.  I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Littlefinger and Stannis as two personal favorites of George's.  

At a con once he said that there are only two books that he rereads every year.  Lord of the Rings, and the Great Gatsby.  I think that Littlefinger is George's Gatsby.  He's the character most motivated by an unrequited love from his past.  A theme that has often sprung up in George's writings.

And Stannis could have beeen a pretty one dimensional character, but the more the story has progressed the more facets to Stannis' personality has emerged, and the more complex he's become.

16 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

My guess is Tyrion is the most fun to write for him.  I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Littlefinger and Stannis as two personal favorites of George's.  

He was asked which characters he enjoys writing the most and he said Tyrion and Arya.

16 hours ago, Jay21 said:

Those pages all gotta be there for something...

She is the wild card of the series I think.

Well, I think he enjoyed writing Shitmouth, and Krazney's dialogue with Missandei, Lord Walder Frey's parlay with Catelyn, Tormund's tall tales, and of course, everything Hodor says.

Just from the way it is written, like he was saying to himself while editing "Maybe too many hodors? No. Just as many as there needs to be." Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk. Then re-reading it one more time, just for fun.

Bran is his favorite character. He said that if he had a son, he'd want him to be like Bran. He also said that he, as a child, was a combination of Bran, Sam and Tyrion.

That being said, although Bran is GRRM's favorite character, Bran is also the hardest character to write. Part of the reason why Bran is so hard to write is because he is so young and GRRM is probably struggling because he's so far removed from Bran's age.

But he has the most fun writing Tyrion, Daenerys and Arya the most.

Archived