Football: Liverpool You Stupid Bastards

polishgenius

Just now, Soylent Brown said:

He's not at fault for the goal, that's all on Alisson.

Won't make that call until I know whether he called or not. 

If Allison calls, Kabak should stand off. If Allison doesn't call, it's all on him.

Even so, third one Kabak is all wrong.

What strikes me these days is that Liverpool seem to have a trait I'm used to see in Everton these last few seasons:

Collapsing under adversity. Dominated possesion, finally gets the goal. Then Leicester get lucky with the goal and after that, everything just falls apart.

ETA: Mind you, they don't collapse every match, But often enough to make it noticeable.

Alisson has not had a good week. To make things worse, Liverpool were looking fairly comfortable in both those games. While they were not creating much against City, it did look like the game would peter out into a draw until Alisson's 3 minute horror show shattered the team. Today, Liverpool were well in control for most of the game until a Alisson/Kabak comedy shattered confidence. Aside from one moment, Firmino and Salah were pretty poor up front as well.

I just cannot get that exercised about it.  Probably the context of COVID has just reduced the significance of any sports now.  Plus while it’s disappointing to give up a potential period of dominance and more titles, having a record-setting, all-conquering year followed by a year of terrible luck, fraught conditions and grinding fatigue (mental and physical) is better than having two seasons of finishing second with more consistent quality but no titles.

This Liverpool team probably peaked in their play during that glorious run to CL defeat by Ramos’ dirty tricks, but they didn’t have the quality at GK to capitalize.  Over the following two years, more solid at the back but less explosive in attack, with better balance they dominated opponents and won the CL and PL, and were IMO unlucky not to win another of each.  The quality had already peaked and started slightly to decline, but the increase in experience and mental toughness was enough to offset that.  Now the decrease in quality continues — especially as we haven’t changed enough and teams got used to us — and the incredible toll of injuries has broken down that mental toughness.

A re-set lies ahead.  Jota and Thiago were a start in that direction already, to inject something new into an attack and MF that had become too familiar, but injuries (assault, in Thiago’s case) has stoppered that so far.  Let’s see what comes next.  

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

Er what? Maybe you should expect some miscommunication with the new player but he’s definitely at fault.

Hell, no!

Alisson has no business going that far out when there's a defender there in a position to handle the situation. Kabak was not even being pressured by an opponent. There was no reason for Alisson to think he should get involved in that.

5 minutes ago, baxus said:

Hell, no!

Alisson has no business going that far out when there's a defender there in a position to handle the situation. Kabak was not even being pressured by an opponent. There was no reason for Alisson to think he should get involved in that.

Have to say I disagree. 

There's no competition for the ball, and Allison has the best view of the pitch. So as long as he says it's his ball, defender should fall off. 

3 minutes ago, baxus said:

Hell, no!

Have you seen Liverpool play over the last 3 years? Alisson acts as the sweeper in behind the defence all the time, it's a pretty integral part of how Liverpool defend. But, ok, fine Kabak's new to the side and isn't on the same wavelength. He needs to actually deal with the ball if he's not going to leave it for Alisson, he can't just have a wild swipe at it and miss the ball plus almost take out Alisson.

2 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Have to say I disagree. 

There's no competition for the ball, and Allison has the best view of the pitch. So as long as he says it's his ball, defender should fall off. 

That would be the case if Liverpool was in a position to break away on a counter attack or something and a good pass from Alisson could set up one of the front three with a great opportunity. As it was, there's no point in him going that far out.

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

Have you seen Liverpool play over the last 3 years? Alisson acts as the sweeper in behind the defence all the time, it's a pretty integral part of how Liverpool defend. But, ok, fine Kabak's new to the side and isn't on the same wavelength. He needs to actually deal with the ball if he's not going to leave it for Alisson, he can't just have a wild swipe at it and miss the ball plus almost take out Alisson.

I have probably seen around 70-80% of Liverpool's Premiership and Champions League matches over the last 3 years and can't remember a single time Alisson ran that far out of the goal with a teammate well positioned to clear the ball. If you can remember it, please point me to the match when he did it and I will be glad to admit I'm wrong. There is a difference between running out and clearing a ball before an opponent gets to it and what he did today.

I'd attribute Kabak's fumble at clearing the ball more to Alisson coming out of nowhere and interfering than with Kabak not being able to clear it.

2 minutes ago, baxus said:

That would be the case if Liverpool was in a position to break away on a counter attack or something and a good pass from Alisson could set up one of the front three with a great opportunity. As it was, there's no point in him going that far out.

Point of it is simple: he's best placed to make a clearance.

Let him alone, he can belt it wherever. Whereas Kabak needs time to get it under control and then play it.

Allison calls, he's the least risky option. So, if he calls (needs to call), it's his ball. 

Just now, Rorshach said:

Point of it is simple: he's best placed to make a clearance.

Let him alone, he can belt it wherever. Whereas Kabak needs time to get it under control and then play it.

Allison calls, he's the least risky option. So, if he calls (needs to call), it's his ball. 

Considering he should be in the penalty box, if not 6 yeard box, he's should not be the best positioned to make a clearance :lol: 

Just now, baxus said:

Considering he should be in the penalty box, if not 6 yeard box, he's should not be the best positioned to make a clearance :lol: 

Not the way modern keepers play :)

He'd been in the six yard box there, he'd be utterly wrongly placed.

Just now, baxus said:

Several of the best keepers in the world, including Allisson himself (usually) and Neuer, the best keeper of the generation, are sweeper keepers who frequently come far out of their box in order to allow their defence greater leeway to press into midfield. One miscomunication doesn't make it the wrong way to play, especially since teams using those keepers have been incredibly successful.

8 minutes ago, baxus said:

I have probably seen around 70-80% of Liverpool's Premiership and Champions League matches over the last 3 years and can't remember a single time Alisson ran that far out of the goal with a teammate well positioned to clear the ball. If you can remember it, please point me to the match when he did it and I will be glad to admit I'm wrong. .

I don't accept the premise. Kabak wasn't well placed the clear the ball, he was facing his own goal, struggling to pick the ball up and, you know, failed to actually clear the ball when he carried on trying to do it. On top of that Liverpool very rarely clear the ball, they bought a very expensive ball playing sweeper 'keeper so they don't have to. They usually either leave it for Alisson or play it back to him.

Archived