Football: Liverpool You Stupid Bastards

polishgenius

11 minutes ago, Raja said:

As an aside, pedro neto is class.

If we can't get Sancho, and you stingy bastards won't sell us Saka, I would totally be up for him being the guy we go for to add on our wings next season.

Regarding the earlier talk about Martial: I feel for him because he spent a lot of time working on being in a position that's never been natural for him, at CF, and it's now started to impact on his games back in his old position. But he was always gonna be the front-three member most vulnerable to squad improvements and at this point we need to find a younger-than-Cavani but still complete true 9 and at that point Martial should probably leave for his career. He'll do well somewhere else, but he's not it for us.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

If we can't get Sancho, and you stingy bastards won't sell us Saka, I would totally be up for him being the guy we go for to add on our wings next season.

Wow. Jesse Lingard is still a promising youngster

( Though with Rashford, Martial and Greenwood, you've got a few! I Neto is defo a class above Greenwood and Martial though, I think)

59 minutes ago, Raja said:

Neto is defo a class above Greenwood and Martial though,

Neto's definitely better than Greenwood now, but I think Greenwood's ceiling is equally high. He's starting more recently to figure out how to use his instincts and talents to do more than just drift until an opportunity to shoot comes, so if he can keep building on that he'll be a menace next season.

Martial is what he is at this stage. He'll probably end up going to Italy, do quite well.

On 2/11/2021 at 10:22 AM, Rorshach said:

Apparently, this is the third time ever that a Mourinho-led team has let in five goals. 

I'm a bit amazed we scored five, but - to be fair - both defenses seemed to have made a pact not to really bother tonight. 

Does it count if the 5th goal is in extra time?

I watched the game due to the scoreline.  Crazy match.  I do feel that Tottenham was a bit unlucky; if the penalty was a penalty I'm not sure if the accidental fowl later shouldn't have been one for Spurs. 

On 2/14/2021 at 3:17 AM, Rorshach said:

Point of it is simple: he's best placed to make a clearance.

Let him alone, he can belt it wherever. Whereas Kabak needs time to get it under control and then play it.

Allison calls, he's the least risky option. So, if he calls (needs to call), it's his ball. 

Is there any evidence that Alison called? 

On 2/14/2021 at 3:31 AM, ljkeane said:

I don't accept the premise. Kabak wasn't well placed the clear the ball, he was facing his own goal, struggling to pick the ball up and, you know, failed to actually clear the ball when he carried on trying to do it. On top of that Liverpool very rarely clear the ball, they bought a very expensive ball playing sweeper 'keeper so they don't have to. They usually either leave it for Alisson or play it back to him.

He failed to clear the ball because Alison got in his way.  

On 2/12/2021 at 2:05 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

BREAKING:

Jürgen Klopp wants Raphinha at Liverpool. The German boss sees the Brazilian winger as a perfect backup and potential replacement for Mané & Salah. Leeds know it will be very difficult to keep him if Liverpool decide to try and take him. [@SPORT]

Fark off.  

On 2/14/2021 at 3:14 AM, polishgenius said:

eta: fuck me the commentator just mention that 12 first-team players, plus Hodgson, are out of contract for Palace in summer. That is terrible club management.

I'm pretty sure that was similar last year.  Actually, no, the year when they started terribly and Hodgson was brought in.

Very weird system.  

7 hours ago, ants said:

Does it count if the 5th goal is in extra time? (1)

I watched the game due to the scoreline.  Crazy match.  I do feel that Tottenham was a bit unlucky; if the penalty was a penalty I'm not sure if the accidental fowl later shouldn't have been one for Spurs. (2)

Is there any evidence that Alison called? (3)

(1) Unsure of what counts, honestly.

(2) Which accidental foul? Can't remember what situation you refer to. As for the penalty for us, it's lucky, but I think those will be given. Høibjerg doesn't pay attention and clips an attacker in the penalty box. Don't need intention.

(3) Think I've prefaced enough of those with an "if". Didn't on the last one, but I think it's there in context.

And Rose has confirmed he will take over at Dortmund next season.

Gonna be interesting who will succeed him at Gladbach.

Names that have been linked are: Jesse Marsch (Salzburg), Florian Kohfeldt (Bremen), Streich (Freiburg), and ten Hag (Ajax).

ten Hag and Gladbach have both denied rumours about being in contact already, Marsch has signalled an interest in the position, Kohfeldt has not commented on anything. As for Streich, I don't see him leaving Freiburg. He has been at the club for 25 years or so, and 10 (?) of those as manager. So it's really hard to imagine him being anywhere else. FWIW, I think it will be Marsch.

Kicker (print) also had an interview with Nagelsmann before the CL clash with Klopp (actually Leipzig Liverpool, bu who cares). He was also asked about his take on Liverpool's current problems. He thinks it's various factors at play. Mainly the injuries and fatigue in combination with Covid. I'll paraphrase it a bit. While everybody in the football biz is extremely lucky, that they are still able to travel and play, it still has had an impact on footballers. There's just very little things to provide a distraction from football, and that's draining. As a result you can lose a bit of focus, and when you are then faced with opponents who are super motivated [against one of the best teams in the world] and play with 120%, it can happen that you lose games with 95%.

He went on to say, that almost all of hte big clubs are suffering to various degrees this season. He named Paris, Real and Barca and Dortmund I think. The only bigger teams that had played more or less consistent [in Nagelsmann's opinion] this season were City, Bayern and to some degree United. He also mentioned that Leipzig were also suffering to some degree, but like Bayern they managed to get thru it somehow.

14 hours ago, Rorshach said:

(1) Unsure of what counts, honestly.

(2) Which accidental foul? Can't remember what situation you refer to. As for the penalty for us, it's lucky, but I think those will be given. Høibjerg doesn't pay attention and clips an attacker in the penalty box. Don't need intention.

(3) Think I've prefaced enough of those with an "if". Didn't on the last one, but I think it's there in context.

On (2), it was the one in the last 10 minutes where a forward's feet were clipped in the Everton box.  Not much in it, clearly accidental, but hard to argue it was vastly different to the actual penalty.  And I agree, accidents count.  

9 hours ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

Bayern are losing 0-2 to Arminia Bielefeld and I don't even know who they fucking are.

They managed to salvage a point in the end. 3-3. Typical for Bayern this season. There were quite a few games in which they were tumbling, but the other teams were too stupid to land a final blow, or in which their proverbial Bayern luck saved them.

7 hours ago, Vaughn said:

Pretty sure that's the name of the villain in a low rent Bond knock-off starring Dean Cain.

Not quite. Bielefeld is a mere conspiracy.

7 hours ago, ants said:

On (2), it was the one in the last 10 minutes where a forward's feet were clipped in the Everton box.  Not much in it, clearly accidental, but hard to argue it was vastly different to the actual penalty.  And I agree, accidents count.  

I'll have to see the clip again, I guess, I have no recollection of this. Honestly not trying to be difficult :)

Archived