Football: Liverpool You Stupid Bastards

polishgenius

18 minutes ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

That's never a penalty even by VAR standards. I mean DCL just came crashing himself on TAA.

Well, TAA came flying in in a missed tackle, and he sits up when he really shouldn't.

I'd be pissed if it wasn't given, as there's no reason for TAA to be in the way there (legally), but my glasses there are blue. Still..

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Other than Blackburn, has anyone ever had as bad a title defence as this? I know other teams have had poor seasons subsequently, but the drop off for liverpool compared to last year is really something to behold. 

Between 15/16 and 16/17 Leicester fell from 1st (81pts) to 12th (44pts).

We could recall Chelsea following their 14/15 title as well, but that was José's 3rd season so not sure whether it counts!

1 hour ago, Rorshach said:

Well, TAA came flying in in a missed tackle, and he sits up when he really shouldn't.

I'd be pissed if it wasn't given, as there's no reason for TAA to be in the way there (legally), but my glasses there are blue. Still..

I thought it was a penalty too.

1 hour ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

That's never a penalty even by VAR standards. I mean DCL just came crashing himself on TAA.

There was a United game years ago (can't recall the opponent now) where Vidic slipped in the box and the striker tripped over him. It was a penalty then and it is a penalty now.

Not going to belabour the point (well, I'm commenting on it, so ... I already am, but..), to me it's simple. 

TAA has missed a tackle. You miss a tackle and take out a player afterwards because you're impeding them? That's a free kick anywhere on the field. I can't wrap my head around why it suddenly should be different here.

What I was thinking during that sequence was actually that Allison should do better. Push that ball further away, as long as he doesn't hold it. I may be demanding too much of him, DCL fires a nice shot, but ... well, I think Allison is clearly capable of a better save than one leaving a loose ball for the forward to pounce on (if nobody impedes him, that is).

27 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

He was trying to block the shot, rather than trying to make a tackle, not that that makes any difference, I suppose.

That just means that, going by the rules that caused the red cards a few weeks back, it should have been a red card.

Yeah, Haaland's Zlatan rip off was nice. Will definately be in the running for the goal of the month. But Younes goal against Bayern was also quite neat. So Bayern lost to Frankfurt, which could allow Leipzig to close the gap to Bayern (or rather reduce it to mere 2 points). Traditionally that means, the pack (which is just Leipzig this year) will slip up. Even if Leipzig just have to play Hertha. But like Stefan Effenberg remarked about 30 years ago. Bayern will win the league, because the other teams are too stupid.

Anyway, while we are talking Bundesliga and Bayern. If you ever think your local big boy teams are a bunch of entitled and arrogant wankers, let me share the highlights of the proverbial Bayern arrogance from the past two weeks.

First there was their traveling problems to their World Club Cup friendly competition. Their original travelling schedule saw them departing for the middle east on a Friday from Berlin after their Bundesliga clash against Hertha (interesting how this posts goes full circle with away games at Hertha). Berlin has a city airport, so no departures past midnight. The Football league pused the kick off for the Hertha game ahead by one hour, so Bayern could bugger off. Which was fair enough. As you might have noticed, it was winter, so there was snow. So Bayern arrived at the airport, the plane had to be deiced, and they couldn't take off before midnight (it would've been a few minutes past). So they asked for a special permit, whcih was denied. That in turn has lead Rummenigge and Hoeneß to rant about it. It was something along the line Bizarre decission by some bureaucrat, who apparently doesn't like Bayern. We are going there to present the German football, thus Germany. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Note, that excemption they were looking for, is well, an excemption. So they were clearly not entitled to it, and yes, they were ranting about having to sleep at the airport and having a less smooth travel to the freakuing World Club Cup.

Next highlight came from Rummenigge. And I can't stress enough, that I am not making it up. He suggested that footballers should be pushed up on the priority list for the corona vaccine. If you already think he should eff off, you haven't heard his reasoning. If you think, he argued with footballers needing it for safe travels and the footballer playing in corona areas, you would be mistaken. The reasoning he gave was, it was football's responsibility to return something to society and help fight vaccine scepctisim by getting vaccinated first. Yes, he was talking about the corona vaccine, which is not widely available, and for which his crew of footballing milionaires are not in line for several months. But he proposed they should go first to fight a non-existent demand side problem. Quite the humanitarian, eh? I'd be curious, what reaction in the UK would be like, if Woodward or Edwards proposed something like that.

Also Flick got into a public spat match with Dr. Karl Lauterbach (MP) and calling him a so called expert.

41 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

First there was their traveling problems to their World Club Cup friendly competition. Their original travelling schedule saw them departing for the middle east on a Friday from Berlin after their Bundesliga clash against Hertha (interesting how this posts goes full circle with away games at Hertha). Berlin has a city airport, so no departures past midnight. The Football league pused the kick off for the Hertha game ahead by one hour, so Bayern could bugger off. Which was fair enough. As you might have noticed, it was winter, so there was snow. So Bayern arrived at the airport, the plane had to be deiced, and they couldn't take off before midnight (it would've been a few minutes past). So they asked for a special permit, whcih was denied. That in turn has lead Rummenigge and Hoeneß to rant about it. It was something along the line Bizarre decission by some bureaucrat, who apparently doesn't like Bayern. We are going there to present the German football, thus Germany. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Note, that excemption they were looking for, is well, an excemption. So they were clearly not entitled to it, and yes, they were ranting about having to sleep at the airport and having a less smooth travel to the freakuing World Club Cup.

While they are obviously choosing the wrong person to blame - they shouldn't get an exemption to fly late- it is obviously amateur hour that they didn't get the plane de-iced on time and they had to sleep at the airport. It's not as if they didn't know they were coming or as if the snow was an unexpected surprise- it'd been there for a week. So I get their frustration on that.

The vaccine thing is proper lol though.

Archived