Football: Liverpool You Stupid Bastards

polishgenius

Mourinho is good at PR though and inspires a cult-like following so will have at least half of the Spurs fanbase believing that the players are shit and/or soft and/or mentally weak and this is the best he can be expected to do with this group of players even though he said not long ago that this Spurs squad is better than the squad he had at United.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Mourinho is good at PR though and inspires a cult-like following so will have at least half of the Spurs fanbase believing that the players are shit and/or soft and/or mentally weak and this is the best he can be expected to do with this group of players even though he said not long ago that this Spurs squad is better than the squad he had at United.

I think Mourinho has a group of supporters who follow him from club to club, but these would make up a tiny minority of spurs fans right now.

Id say he was universally loathed at the moment. His awful football is not producing any sort of results, except for predictable losses. 

I think it’s only his long contract with no break clause and TINY chance he could win something in Europe thats keeping him in a job

Yeah I think Mou is really done for. His football is not only unwatchable but also ineffective.

Even if he wants to change his approach I don't think he can do it. Whenever they have the ball, Tottenham look like they don't know what to do with it. It doesn't look only like bad individual performances, it just reeks of toxic ethos. 

4 hours ago, Consigliere said:

reports saying that Grealish could be out for 4-6 weeks due to shin splints.

Seems like it might only be a week.

Anyway decent start for us. Surprised to see James starting against a low block but he's been useful so far, his workrate is fantastic. Great goal by Rashford.

Is it just me, or have goalkeeping standards dropped this season?

I think neither goal so far has been impossible - I'd expect a good goalie to stop them. But Darlow is too much on his wrong foot, and de Gea .. seems like a weak arm.

Another decent outing for Dan James. His immense workrate helps us out a lot defensively as well, something Greenwood doesn't do to the same level which can leave us exposed on our right flank. Not surprising that AWB has put in the most tackles of any player this season since he's often left to do a lot of 1v1 defending. Shaw was excellent again - he's created the most chances of any defender this season (45) - if our forwards weren't so wasteful and we had a proper #9 starting regularly instead of Martial, his assist stats would be looking very good.

Comfortable in the end. Newcastle dug in well between their goal and our taking the lead again where it looked like we might come unstuck against the low block again but the unlikely heroics of Matic and James popping up in the right place pulled us through and after that Newcastle were done.

Nice to see a debut for a youngster, Shoretire against his hometown team.

Maguire didn't have a good game. His poor clearance lead to Newcastle's goal and he got lucky that the standard of refereeing is so shit because he clearly fouled Lascelles and Newcastle should've had a penalty. Martial was total and complete rubbish - he needs to be dropped and Cavani and Greenwood should rotate at CF. It's like playing with 10 men with Martial on the pitch.

eta. Overall it was not a good performance but luckily Newcastle were especially shit.

I feel bad for Martial. I think I said this before but he's done his best to adapt to a position not his own in a time we needed, he did a job but his efforts to keep at it have basically had him break himself.

That said, I don't think Greenwood is necessarily ready for starts up top yet. He still needs to get that ineraction between him and the rest solid, because he isn't going to make the consistent runs in behind so he needs to set em up. Been working at it, but not there yet.

Maguire wasn't the only one at fault for that goal. Henderson would simply have yelled and caught that in the air. But De Gea's never been capable of doing that.

Martial wanted to play #9 ever since he's been at United (and most of the fans wanted him to play there), and has been shaped as a #9 as well (or as a secondary striker at least) so I wouldn't feel so bad for him. I mean, I want him to be back to his last season form, but it's only up to him. No one else is responsible for his form this season.

Last thoughts on Dan James' performances this week: it's obviously too soon to say if he's improved enough to feature regularly against the best opponents playing less high lines than Sociedad, but his little run of form is another clear example of player-specific coaching bringing in improvements in a way we've not seen in our team for ages. He's improved his crossing and his shooting without cutting in, clearly, but probably most importantly he's varying both his position without the ball and where he runs when he has it: he's always wide, but he's not now just hugging the touchline and on the shoulder as much as possible, he's drifting in and out, up and down, making the defender worry about where he is and where he's gonna go. Makes passing easier for him too coz he's not always trapping himself in cul-de-sacs.

It's the kind of thing we're consistently seeing (well, apart from in Martial) and it's neat. Shaw's whole thing, Wan Bissaka recently being pushed further forward while in defensive mode to shut down counters down his flank before they even start, McTominay's breaks through on goal, Greenwood's improving his running and passing, greater use of Maguire's passing - all things we've brushed up this season.

There might not be a distinct, single ideology for the team but there's clearly planning going on and even though we still have some ridiculously frustrating tendencies, that's heartening.

Not going to claim de Gea does badly per se on the goal, or that other players aren't to blame as well, I just noticed looking at it that his elbow is bent a little. 

Lock the elbow, and you have a lot better control of where you push the ball. Think if he extends it there, he pushes it over instead of into the net.

On 2/20/2021 at 7:30 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

But seriously, how are we supposed to go on run of wins with three main CB’s injured and both midfielders who filled in for them also now injured. :bang:

What a cursed year!

Maybe by signing some proper CBs on time instead of waiting for all our CBs to get injured and play with our midfielders in midfield instead of filling in the back four?

Just an idea...

On 2/20/2021 at 7:51 PM, Soylent Brown said:

I guess Klopp is going to wait until 75 minutes before making any changes as usual.

We could do with getting Ox and Origi on as soon as possible, for Firmino and Jones/Wijnaldum. Origi is shit, but he's less shit than Firmino.

To be honest, it's not as if there is someone on the bench who could turn a game around. I mean, our three substitutes on Saturday were"

• Phillips - had to be done with Henderson's injury; maybe he should've even started which would allow Henderson to play in midfield
  • Shaqiri - other than that pass for Salah a few games ago, he didn't do anything noteworthy this season and has been given plenty of chances to show what he has; watching the way he plays and moves and what decisions he makes, I oftee question his basic intelligence, not just football skills
  • Origi - now, this is just an alibi substitute, so that it looks as if something is being done

Jota couldn't come back soon enough. He might be our last hope to light a spark in our attack and make something of this season. It's not as if Ox or Shaqiri can do that.

I wouldn't spend too much time on discussing a penalty, because I don't think it was one. If that was a penalty then defenders should stop even trying to get in the box to try and stop opposing teams strikers. The whole "TAA impeded DCL's movement" story is crap in my opinion. What is a defender supposed to do other than that? Trent tried to block the shot, slided in front, stopped and DCL ran straight into him. I mean, Trent didn't run or slide into DCL, it was the other way around.

2 hours ago, baxus said:

To be honest, it's not as if there is someone on the bench who could turn a game around.

We definitely have players who can be more effective in games where we're dominating possession. All Jones does every time he receives the ball is take ten touches and then pass it square, killing any momentum we might have, and Wijnaldum is to frightened to play positively, so with Thiago playing deep we have no creativity close to the forwards. It's insane that we rely entirely on our fullbacks, along with long balls from deep, to create chances.

At least with Ox or Shaqiri, or Keita now he's back, they might actually create something.

And yeah, Origi is pants, but given that Adrian would be more effective than Firmino at the moment, he probably (just about) would be too.

2 hours ago, baxus said:

Maybe by signing some proper CBs on time instead of waiting for all our CBs to get injured and play with our midfielders in midfield instead of filling in the back four?

Just an idea...

To be honest, it's not as if there is someone on the bench who could turn a game around. I mean, our three substitutes on Saturday were"

• Phillips - had to be done with Henderson's injury; maybe he should've even started which would allow Henderson to play in midfield
  • Shaqiri - other than that pass for Salah a few games ago, he didn't do anything noteworthy this season and has been given plenty of chances to show what he has; watching the way he plays and moves and what decisions he makes, I oftee question his basic intelligence, not just football skills
  • Origi - now, this is just an alibi substitute, so that it looks as if something is being done

Jota couldn't come back soon enough. He might be our last hope to light a spark in our attack and make something of this season. It's not as if Ox or Shaqiri can do that.

I wouldn't spend too much time on discussing a penalty, because I don't think it was one. If that was a penalty then defenders should stop even trying to get in the box to try and stop opposing teams strikers. The whole "TAA impeded DCL's movement" story is crap in my opinion. What is a defender supposed to do other than that? Trent tried to block the shot, slided in front, stopped and DCL ran straight into him. I mean, Trent didn't run or slide into DCL, it was the other way around.

Well, he slid into DCL's running lane. Stopping a player without taking the ball. 

Which, of course, is a free kick. Or a penalty, in the box. 

Not really. He slid in between DCL and the goal in order to block the shot which a defender is supposed to do. Then DCL ran into him AFTER taking the shot. Sure, he went for a deflected ball but at that point Trent was already in his way and DCL should've acted accordingly. It's not as if a striker has a free pass everywhere in the box once he's in it, you know?

Archived