Football: Liverpool You Stupid Bastards

polishgenius

14 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Barely eliminated Red Star without a win.

I saw last half hour of both matches. Milan was being outplayed for big parts of that.

Milan's definitely not a team to be afraid of at this point of the season. Who knows, they might regain form until their match with United but if they don't I expect a comfortable win by United.

11 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Milan are gash vs every good team in 2021. And not only good teams.

Defeats vs:

Juve 1-3 home

Atalanta 0-3 home

Inter 2-1 in cup

Spezia 2-0 away

Inter 0-3 home (home only on paper but still).

Barely eliminated Red Star without a win.

Milan are on the up though and even though their form has taken a bit of a downturn of late, this is certainly a much better Milan side than what we've seen for many a year. United too have been rather shit against good teams this season - we haven't won a single game in the league against the traditional big six + Leicester this season. I'd say it will be a close game that could go either way - there isn't much of a difference in quality between the two sides.

6 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Henderson is out for 10 weeks. This season is ridiculous.:frown5:

This season has been a revolving door with injuries.One guy comes in, another goes out, another comes in, one more goes out.Rinse and repeat.

At least Jota started team training!

Any bets on who gets injured next? My money is either Gini or Bobby. :rolleyes:

Mane and TAA are usually pretty reliable.

One of our issues is that we do genuinely have quite a few players who pick up injuries every year, on top of our long-term guys.

Henderson and Fabinho both have injuries every season, Ox and Shaqiri have no luck with this kind of stuff, and Milner has been bouncing from one muscle problem to the next for the past few years.

Our idiot fans wank themselves silly about how fit Milner is because all he does during the summer is exercise, but he's been breaking down consistently over the past few years when played.

Our first teamers who can genuinely be relied upon to stay fit are Robertson, VVD, TAA, Wijnaldum, Mane, Firmino, and Salah. And two of those will/should be going this summer.

Milner's not supposed to play every game at this stage of his career anyway. His main role is to provide cover for various positions and sheperding young players into the team. So it wouldn't surprise me, if he goes into coaching next season.

Wasn't the best performance from City today and West Ham deserved at least a point but City still pull out a 20th consecutive win. The league is going to be wrapped up with 6-8 games to spare at this rate. What looked like it could be a chaotic title race at one point has turned into a cakewalk.

9 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

He didn't quite get them over today but it amuses me that in the space of a month Lingard has gone from 'laughing stock' to 'Man City doing everything in their power to stop him getting the ball in attacking positions'.

Lingard has always been a more than useful player in a counter-attacking side. He has good movement and bags of stamina. The problem for him is his limited technical ability which gets shown up when his team are the ones controlling possession and have to break down a low block - he looks totally lost in those cases.

Meanwhile in the Bunedsliga.

Schalke continues it's farewell tour. They managed to concede the same goal twice against Stuttgart. It's one thing being bad, but then also being unable to defend set pieces (corners in this case) on top of that, that just gets you into relegation trouble by force.

Bayern do their thing against Köln. Which was to be expected to be fair. Choupo-Moting got one of his few starts (deployed out wide) and scored. And Lewandowski scored his 27th goal of the season and is thus still on course to break Gerd Müller's old record of 40 goals in a single season (1971/72).

Well, I thought I heard Mason blow his whistle before Dunk fired the free kick, so ... for me (but I don't rate Mason as the best ref) it seems the ref team screwed that one up and tried to get out of it after.

Most important part for me is that a free kick is supposed to be an advantage for the team given the free kick. This feels like advantage given to West Brom.

Update:

Lewandowski with his 28th goal of the season now.

Dortmund finally managed to break down Bielefeld.

Schalke being generous with set pieces on the other side of the pitch, too. Missed penalty kick.

I am inclined to believe that Schalke will part ways with their third (fourth if you include Stevens's games as caretaker) manager this season. It's quite a show. They started with Wagner, who was unable to turn fortunes around and end his draught. Then they went for Baum who didn't last three months, and was also unable to record a win in his ten Bundesliga games. Then Stevens went out of retirement to fill in for a few games, before they recruited Gross, who had also retired at that point. He managed to win a league game, which is sorta an improvement. But one win in three months is obviously not enough. So let's see, who will have the honour to see out their relegation season.

I hope Brighton's scouts are hard at work identifying forwards the club could sign. Their current crop can't hit the broadside of a barn. Brighton is underperforming their Xg by a crazy margin - if I'm not mistaken they are underperforming Xg by the biggest margin in Europe's top 5 leagues. 

And as predicted.

Schalke sacked Gross, their third permanent manager this season. And while they are at it, they also sacked four more guys.

Schneider (DoF) whose contract was up at the end of the season anyway. So parting with him was not surprising.

Riether (team manager), who was busy trying to calm things down before their 5-1 defeat to Stuttgart, with players rumoredly asking for Gross to be sacked before the Stuttgart game.

Leuthard (Fittness coach) and Windmayer (assistant manager) are also no longer with the struggling Bundesliga giant.

Watching that club fall apart is sorta guilty pleasure for most football fans in Germany.

Archived