WandaVision 2: Sitcoms and Superheroes and Spoilers too

mormont

One more thing, I’m picking up on.  When Marvel introduced Scarlet Witch in the Avengers, they gave her powers she really didn’t have in the comics.  In the comics she had probability altering powers.  In the movies, she has telekinesis and a form of telepathy.  Basically they gave her the same powers as Jean Grey in the X-Men.  

This might give us another clue here.  In addition to pulling things from Scarlet Wtich’s comic arcs, we may also be getting another take on the Dark Phoenix storyline.  Where an incredibly powerful mutant starts becoming manipulated by an outside force.  In the Dark Phoenix storyline it was the mutant Mastermind.  

Here, I think it’s Kang.  But it could also be Mephisto or Nightmare or some other agent.  But like in Dark Phoenix, while Mastermind started the ball rolling, Jean Grey’s own mental instability took over and caused events to steamroll.  Perhaps we’re seeing the same thing here.  Scarlet Witch was initially manipulated by an outside agent, but her own personality and powers steamrolled into the events we’re seeing now.

9 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

Wanda has been established as having two basic powers.  Telekinesis, which enables her to move objects or fly.  And limited telepathy and mind control.  So she can certainly create an illusionary world, and she can certainly manipulate physical objects within this world.  But in ways she’s still limited.  The outfit she created for Monica was reassembled from Monica’s actual outfit when she went into Westview.  So she’s not creating stuff out of whole cloth.  

So when you look at the show, you can kind of explain a lot of it through Wanda’s existing powers.  Except for a few things, which should be beyond even her.  We get a quick glimpse of it early on when she reassembles a plate that had shattered.  Then we have a more dramatic example of when she “rewound” the scene of the SWORD agent coming out of the sewer.  Then we have her accelerated pregnancy and accelerated aging of her children.  Even some things like characters seemingly moving in super speed.  I think these are examples of time manipulation.  

Yeah, I don't see this at all. She had TK and TP. She didn't have the ability to completely alter the fabric of reality in a localized bubble. She literally transformed the permanent appearance of Monica's clothing, which is at the least an incredible thing to do instantly and without any real thought, just her passing through the bubble. 

She is also reanimating Vision, which kind of seems like a bit bigger than TK and TP - including his phasing powers (which aren't hers). She had two children with a being that is not actually a human or even human-related. Hell, we don't even know if he has a dick. These are things that are just a smidgen more than 'time manipulation'. 

2 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

So when you look at the show, you can kind of explain a lot of it through Wanda’s existing powers.  Except for a few things, which should be beyond even her.  We get a quick glimpse of it early on when she reassembles a plate that had shattered.  Then we have a more dramatic example of when she “rewound” the scene of the SWORD agent coming out of the sewer.  Then we have her accelerated pregnancy and accelerated aging of her children.  Even some things like characters seemingly moving in super speed.  I think these are examples of time manipulation.  

She changed a chicken into a basket of eggs in, like, the first episode.  Her powers are pretty clearly reality-altering and not just telepathy/telekinesis.

2 hours ago, Karlbear said:

Yeah, I don't see this at all. She had TK and TP. She didn't have the ability to completely alter the fabric of reality in a localized bubble. She literally transformed the permanent appearance of Monica's clothing, which is at the least an incredible thing to do instantly and without any real thought, just her passing through the bubble.

There's no reason TK can't be used to rearrange molecules, though the human brain can't even imagine the complexity of doing it just to Monica's clothes, let alone the entire town. And it appears to be happening even when she's not consciously aware of it; she seemed surprised to find the toy helicopter drone. My guess is some superhuman intelligence is using her powers for her in accordance with her subconscious desires, in which case, the question is does it have any desires of its own, and is it capable of twisting her desires to its own ends, or acting in direct conflict with what she wants?

12 hours ago, mormont said:

Doom has canonically defeated all of those 'galactic level' threats. Doom plays second fiddle to no one!

Which is why we need him introduced now as an Earth based antagonist for our evolving cast of Earth based super heroes. Once a greater force reveals itself that threatens Earth and all its inhabitants then that'll be impetus for Doom to act, for his own self preservation first, but with benefits for the rest of Earth.

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

I still say Nightmare because he was supposed to be the villain of Doctor Strange II. Though the plan could have changed. Hayward also said something about "ending this nightmare" by killing Wanda. 

It could be something like Thanos in The Avengers where it's only revealed to the audience at the end, Wanda ends up wanted or captured and then in Doctor Strange II they team up to take down the bad guy. 

I don't know about it being Nightmare. Seems too Sandmanish for my liking. But I agree a full reveal may not happen and a brief end reveal, though tantalizingly unsatisfying for most, may suit the longer Phase 4 plan.

3 hours ago, felice said:

There's no reason TK can't be used to rearrange molecules, though the human brain can't even imagine the complexity of doing it just to Monica's clothes, let alone the entire town. And it appears to be happening even when she's not consciously aware of it; she seemed surprised to find the toy helicopter drone. My guess is some superhuman intelligence is using her powers for her in accordance with her subconscious desires, in which case, the question is does it have any desires of its own, and is it capable of twisting her desires to its own ends, or acting in direct conflict with what she wants?

I mean, yes, other than the absurd complexity of what's required to rearrange 10^23 atoms in precisely the exact what that you'd expect and do so without perceiving them and doing it instantly, moving things with your mind explains everything! 

I get that telekinesis in theory can be used to literally describe every single superpower ever demonstrated in the history of superpowers, but this is a bit much and isn't how Marvel typically works. That the story itself is that she doesn't know how she's doing all this and someone else is trying to figure that out too, well, makes me think it isn't just her powers; we're meant to be asking why this is so different.

6 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

Here, I think it’s Kang.

I know he's meant to be in Ant-Man 3: Quantumania, but given that it won't be, to the best of my knowledge, featuring Olsen, to have him appear here, and then not return until Ant-Man 3 seems...unusual? 

That said - given that the next 3 episodes are all meant to double in length, it'd provide enough time to, I suppose, allow for some supervillain exposition dumps. And evil cackling. And probably some punching. 

...Maybe a few kapows, even. 

The book's not the Darkhold, as that had - fairly comically - DARKHOLD written on the front cover in an evil font. This book has two keys meeting in the middle.

And yup, bringing in the Nexus is an interesting move (although it's more of an allusion than it being front and centre yet; they also mentioned it in The Dark World and people got excited and then it didn't come up again). And having Monica finally go Spectrum on us.

One thing I don't get is the suggestion that the "aeronautical engineer" is someone we should be excited about. I'm assuming the officer who gave Monica the suit and space rover wasn't it (she seems to be an original character created for this show).

Darcy having to explain the storyline of the MCU from Age of Ultron through Endgame (though mostly offscreen) to a very confused Vision was quite amusing as well.

Pretty fun episode

Spoiler

As I expected / predicted crossing in to the Hex again gave Monica powers. And also as people had been calling out almost from the start Agnes is Agatha (not that I know anything about her but some of ya'll do!). I loved her musical reveal, and the scene with Wanda in the house realising the kids were missing was really quite effectively creepy.

One thing I noticed watching episode 6 again that I missed the first time around is when Wanda and Pietro are sitting on the hay bales Pietro says Wanda is like Rogue's empathetic cousin. That strongly suggests this is the Fox X-men Quicksliver dragged out of the multiverse, perhaps by Harkness or her Master Mephisto, and somewhat mind controlled by Harkness.

When Agnes said "I don't bite children" then gave the camera a look it was obvious at that point she is a witch (Harkness), being a nod to the old witches eating children trope.

Vision seems a wee bit too thick, but since he's not the real vision mentally (upgraded Jarvis), that's not surprising.

6 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

One thing I noticed watching episode 6 again that I missed the first time around is when Wanda and Pietro are sitting on the hay bales Pietro says Wanda is like Rogue's empathetic cousin. That strongly suggests this is the Fox X-men Quicksliver dragged out of the multiverse, perhaps by Harkness or her Master Mephisto, and somewhat mind controlled by Harkness.

Negatory. He says "you were always the empathetic twin." It does sound a bit like he says Rogue, not but according to the subtitles.

Damnit, I had to go back and watch the scene a 3rd time, hoping it would be Rogue. But no, paying close attention it's just the boring old empathetic twin. I guess it would have been way too obvious. But it is far too weird for it not to be something. Harkness and Mephisto, ETA or Nightmare, must be messing with the multiverse, which might be where a Loki cross over comes in?

It was an enjoyable episode, have to admit I felt a little stupid not really getting what the direct sitcom reference this time, maybe it's because I just don't watch enough of them.

Found the Agatha reveal a little disappointing tbh, I'm really hoping it's not just as it seems and she is the big bad, because that would be quite underwhelming. 

Archived