WandaVision 2: Sitcoms and Superheroes and Spoilers too

mormont

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

It was an enjoyable episode, have to admit I felt a little stupid not really getting what the direct sitcom reference this time, maybe it's because I just don't watch enough of them.

I wish I'd watched an episode of Modern Family before watching this. Oh well. It was still a pretty hilarious episode.

Strange that they treat the "Hayward was trying to weaponize Vision" thing as a plot twist. Like seriously what the hell else would they be doing with his body for five years? 

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

I wish I'd watched an episode of Modern Family before watching this. Oh well. It was still a pretty hilarious episode.

Strange that they treat the "Hayward was trying to weaponize Vision" thing as a plot twist. Like seriously what the hell else would they be doing with his body for five years? 

Was it modern family? I had a sense that’s what it was supposed to be, but I’ve never even seen a clip of it. It’s not really a show that even gets mentioned in the UK. I was guessing this week was an amalgamation of modern family, the office and parks and rec. 

31 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It’s not really a show that even gets mentioned in the UK.

I would dispute this. It's a pretty popular show with people I know anyway, though I do agree that with it having mostly been on Sky that tons of people won't have seen it.

37 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I've seen more Modern Family than I've ever seen of Malcom in the Middle (meaning zero minutes of the latter), but as both are considered groundbreaking and award winning...it makes sense that they used those templates...though to be honest, other than the emergence of Bryan Cranston, I don't know what is really the popular culture staying power of Malcom in the Middle...

As for Vision and 5 years? Who know what was done with him...weaponizing him, that's a little tangential to the Byrne AWC run that saw him deconstructed...bit its possible that this could be a way to bring back Ultron...somewhere down the line...

5 minutes ago, Poobah said:

I would dispute this. It's a pretty popular show with people I know anyway, though I do agree that with it having mostly been on Sky that tons of people won't have seen it.

Yeah I’m not sure it’s ever been on terrestrial tv. I’ve also never heard it come up in conversation, nor even seen much mention of it on the internet. It’s a show that has completely eluded me

46 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I've seen more Modern Family than I've ever seen of Malcom in the Middle (meaning zero minutes of the latter), but as both are considered groundbreaking and award winning...it makes sense that they used those templates...though to be honest, other than the emergence of Bryan Cranston, I don't know what is really the popular culture staying power of Malcom in the Middle...

I’m rewatching Malcolm in the Middle now and it’s so, so good. Real belly laughs every episode. 

I’m not sure WandaVision is as good when it’s half-assing the sitcom tropes. Now that the mystery needs to unfold a bit more, the last two episodes haven’t had time to really pay proper tribute to the primary influences (Malcolm and MF). The earlier episodes were genuinely good versions of what they were pastiches of. Still really digging it, but it feels less bold and unique as it goes on.

Been reading about the Agnes theory since day one so that was a bit anticlimactic. And a mid-credits scene, weird one to start with. Speaking of credits, does everyone else’s episode end with like 7 minutes left and not trigger the ‘end of the episode’ (so that it knows that, no, you don’t want to keep watching the last 7 minutes of the last episode)? It’s weirdly sloppy, considering how well timed it is on most other streaming services.

I LOVED Monica's superhero origin. In her struggle she rewrote herself in the way she wanted to be - to be brave, to have something like the powers of Captain Marvel (so she could go up with her), to make it through the Hex. 

Just now, Corvinus85 said:

Just imagine when The Winds of Winter is finally released.

Honestly, having a hard time imagining that :rofl:

---

Solid episode. Still not sure where they're going entirely but I remain 100% down. 

30 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Honestly, having a hard time imagining that :rofl:

---

Solid episode. Still not sure where they're going entirely but I remain 100% down. 

Yeah... I'll just be amazed if its released at all at this point.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Was it modern family? I had a sense that’s what it was supposed to be, but I’ve never even seen a clip of it.

It was heavily alluding to Modern Family - particularly Wanda's..wardrobe was strikingly familiar - but I'd say the episode was more lampooning the whole single-camera/mockumentary sitcoms that came to dominate the past twenty years.  There were also heavy and frequent references to The Office (US version). 

Anyway, wouldn't mind if the whole "homage" thing is done, since episode 4 it's become more and more gimmicky (albeit still a well-executed one) than a feature.

45 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Just imagine when The Winds of Winter is finally released.

Are you trying to make us all depressed?

Loved the Agatha All Along song/sequence.  I also can now see a little more clearly how this will tie into Dr. Strange.  With the reveal of another major magic user being involved, I can understand why the Sorcerer Supreme would take interest.

Like Kal, I loved the bit where Vision just said "To hell with this" and flew off. 

Agreed that the Monica battling through the barrier scene was good. I hope her powers are not too nebulous in the end, just a floaty punchy glowing blue thing.

Who exactly was “broadcasting” the Agatha reveal song? Was Agatha just doing it for her own satisfaction?

Just now, john said:

Agreed that the Monica battling through the barrier scene was good. I hope her powers are not too nebulous in the end, just a floaty punchy glowing blue thing.

I guess they could go a different way, but between her being able to see electromagnetic waves and different spectrum changes, her desire to be like Captain Marvel and go at the speed of light - it's probable they're sticking with the Photon power set, which is both being able to become any kind of electromagnetic radiation and being able to control it.

Just now, john said:

Who exactly was “broadcasting” the Agatha reveal song? Was Agatha just doing it for her own satisfaction?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's exactly right - that Agatha was just doing it because it was fun and that's the sort of drama kid she is.

Guess that also answers the other question - that at least Pietro is in her thrall completely if not a total creation, and the kids are likely in that way too. 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Loved the Agatha All Along song/sequence.  I also can now see a little more clearly how this will tie into Dr. Strange.  With the reveal of another major magic user being involved, I can understand why the Sorcerer Supreme would take interest.

Like Kal, I loved the bit where Vision just said "To hell with this" and flew off. 

Of course, this rises the question, is Dr. Strange still the Sorcerer Supreme?  One of the most interesting things about the MCU is the Snap.  With various leaders being dead we should have a new ruler of Wakanda, Black OPs director (Hayward?), and Sorcerer Supreme out there.

On 2/13/2021 at 1:47 PM, SpaceChampion said:

Bearded lady.

you were the closest! :lol:

That episode was a barrel of laughs. Dairy almond milk!

I'm curious though, if Wanda and/or Agnes are struggling to keep the reality stable then wouldn't the household furniture revert back to their original modern state?

Archived