WandaVision 2: Sitcoms and Superheroes and Spoilers too

mormont

5 minutes ago, ithanos said:

you were the closest! :lol:

That episode was a barrel of laughs. Dairy almond milk!

I'm curious though, if Wanda and/or Agnes are struggling to keep the reality stable then wouldn't the household furniture revert back to their original modern state?

I think at one point one of the walls turned into bare bones, no drywall structure. I have feeling there isn't much there in Westview, in reality.

2 hours ago, Karlbear said:

There was also the awesome bit where Vision is sitting around doing the interview and he's like 'wait, what the heck am I doing?' that was brilliant.

I did enjoy how they screwed with the chronology there, it’s always a nebulous concept of when these ‘interviews’ are actually happening in Modern Family, and it was funny how Vision was just suddenly in the truck again with the same thought of leaving. 

1 hour ago, ithanos said:

you were the closest! :lol:

That episode was a barrel of laughs. Dairy almond milk!

I'm curious though, if Wanda and/or Agnes are struggling to keep the reality stable then wouldn't the household furniture revert back to their original modern state?

In one of the previews, there's some kind of battle that occurs where the cars, buildings, etc., shift from 00's period to the 50's and then (if I recall correctly) back to more recent times. 

6 hours ago, Poobah said:

I would dispute this. It's a pretty popular show with people I know anyway, though I do agree that with it having mostly been on Sky that tons of people won't have seen it.

I've barely heard of it. In fact, I think I had it confused with American Family, which I'd only heard of due to an Edward James Olmos interview.

As far as I can tell, Modern Family is basically The Office/Parks & Rec by in a family home (well, three family homes)? Interesting, but unfortunately it's not easily available here in the UK (it's on Sky/NowTV, or the service people usually only subscribe to here for 6 weeks whenever the latest huge HBO show comes over and then drops again). However, as it's an ABC show, I imagine it will transfer over to Disney+ (or Disney Star) at some point when Sky's licence expires.

47 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I've barely heard of it. In fact, I think I had it confused with American Family, which I'd only heard of due to an Edward James Olmos interview.

As far as I can tell, Modern Family is basically The Office/Parks & Rec by in a family home (well, three family homes)? Interesting, but unfortunately it's not easily available here in the UK (it's on Sky/NowTV, or the service people usually only subscribe to here for 6 weeks whenever the latest huge HBO show comes over and then drops again). However, as it's an ABC show, I imagine it will transfer over to Disney+ (or Disney Star) at some point when Sky's licence expires.

Ah mm that's crazy. It's a really great show, I definitely recommend watching it when you get the chance, I guess my sister and her friends all watching it kinda gave me an impression it was more widely known. And yeah it follows three related and different kinds of modern family, the typical het couple (Claire and Phil) and their three kids, a gay couple (Mitchell and Cameron) who've just adopted a baby, and a third which is made up of Jay, the father of Mitchell and Claire, his much younger second wife Gloria, and her son from her first marriage.

It's interesting to note that Monica's outfit in the latest episode, with the blue and grey, was vaguely reminiscent (at least to me) of the outfits worn by the Fantastic Four. Maybe it was the colour palette. Or the little chest logo. 

Either way, a cute potential easter egg. 

29 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

It's interesting to note that Monica's outfit in the latest episode, with the blue and grey, was vaguely reminiscent (at least to me) of the outfits worn by the Fantastic Four. Maybe it was the colour palette. Or the little chest logo. 

I thought the same on her outfit.

A theory about something that isn't that important - I'm going to guess that if Ralph (Agnes' never-seen husband) actually exists, he's going to turn out to be the protected witness whose disappearance brought Jimmy to Westview in the first place, and there's a better than evens chance that he was going to be witnessing against Agatha.

8 hours ago, IlyaP said:

I think it's more intended to recall Monica's Photon costume. It's not really reminiscent of the FF costumes, to me, other than having that common 'spacesuit' element.

13 minutes ago, ithanos said:

Ok the best new theory I've heard to marinate in for this week... Agatha's yet to be seen husband Herb turns out to be Mahershala Ali (as Blade).

Herb is a different character. You mean Ralph?

20 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I’m rewatching Malcolm in the Middle now and it’s so, so good. Real belly laughs every episode. 

I’m not sure WandaVision is as good when it’s half-assing the sitcom tropes. Now that the mystery needs to unfold a bit more, the last two episodes haven’t had time to really pay proper tribute to the primary influences (Malcolm and MF). The earlier episodes were genuinely good versions of what they were pastiches of. Still really digging it, but it feels less bold and unique as it goes on.

Been reading about the Agnes theory since day one so that was a bit anticlimactic. And a mid-credits scene, weird one to start with. Speaking of credits, does everyone else’s episode end with like 7 minutes left and not trigger the ‘end of the episode’ (so that it knows that, no, you don’t want to keep watching the last 7 minutes of the last episode)? It’s weirdly sloppy, considering how well timed it is on most other streaming services.

Disney+ is the worst at the skip options. The skip intro option of the Simpsons skips right into the middle of the couch gag.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:45 AM, DaveSumm said:

Been reading about the Agnes theory since day one so that was a bit anticlimactic.

Well, yes and no.  While her true identity was widely anticipated, her role in the story wasn’t, at least if you were relying on the comics to figure out what part she was playing.  

In the comics, Agatha was always an ally to the Scarlet Witch through thick and thin.  (Even though that may have been tested a bit when Wanda “killed her” for wiping her mind of her children).  

Her part here is a little different.  With the reveal of the magical tome at the end (perhaps the Darkhold) the show may be combining Agatha Harkness with another sorcerer who messed with Wanda’s mind (her mind gets messed with a lot in the comics).  Mordred the Mystic in Avengers 185 to 187 was a sorcerer who manipulated Wanda into serving as a host for his demon master, Cthon.  

So if the show is borrowing elements from that story arc, then I expect her husband Ralph, is in reality some extra dimensional demon that Agatha may be using Wanda to bring into Earth’s dimension.  Which in turn will probably be followed up in the next Dr. Strange movie.

But with all the fuss of Wanda being a “nexus being” I still think there is going to be a reveal (whether in this show or another) that Immortus is somehow involved in the background.  It was Immortus’ story arc that first revealed Wanda as a Nexus being, which in turn brought her to the attention of Immortus’ masters the Time Keepers.  

And it appears from the previews that the Time Keepers may be a part of the upcoming Loki series.

And then we still have the background news of flying saucers, which makes me think that we may be seeing the first inklings of the Secret Invasion story line.

While all of this may seem like a lot of different plot threads, it may be helpful to think of WandaVision as a series similar to the Mandalorian.  A launching pad of a bunch of different storylines which will turn into future Disney Plus series.

Honestly, the show that I question the fit now is Falcon and the Winter Soldier. :lol: 

Youve got witches showing up in fake Sitcoms; Loki as DB Cooper... so what room really is there for an old school CGI fest??? :lol: 

10 hours ago, ithanos said:

Ok the best new theory I've heard to marinate in for this week... Agatha's yet to be seen husband Ralph turns out to be Mahershala Ali (as Blade).

"Best"?  That actually sounds incredibly terrible.  (Not Ali as Blade, that's fine on its face, but terrible that he'd appear on this show...)

17 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

"Best"?  That actually sounds incredibly terrible.  (Not Ali as Blade, that's fine on its face, but terrible that he'd appear on this show...)

What I don't get is the pairing of Blade with Agatha Harkness.  Is that a thing in the comics?  Seems a pretty odd couple to me.

27 minutes ago, DMC said:

What I don't get is the pairing of Blade with Agatha Harkness.  Is that a thing in the comics?  Seems a pretty odd couple to me.

Nope. Never. Despite Wesley Snipes then, despite Mahershala Ali now, Blade has always been a character best left in the 70s.  I think Marvel's had him some modern version of the Avengers lately, but honestly, vampires are not the best antagonists in the modern 21st century.  For that, you gotta blame Twighlight...

Agatha Harkness is strictly a FF and Avengers ally/foil in the comics...

Archived