WandaVision 2: Sitcoms and Superheroes and Spoilers too

mormont

I have absolutely now knowledge of the comics, so everything I know about Agatha Harkness has come from this thread and one or two others like it in other corners of my net backyard. Sounds like she's never been straight Bad. 

Seems pretty clear that her fun intro jingle was the same as Wanda's so far, as a fictionalized character reminiscent of the actual woman. So once we meet the 'real' Agatha - I assume next week - I think she'll be neither the Big Bad nor a chaotic-evil character going forward in the MCU. She'll probably be the Big Bad's henchwoman, probably for misguided reasons so she can turn face, save Wanda, and become Witch Pals. Basically, I don't think she killed the dog, same as Wanda isn't a housewife. I just don't want any canine deaths on her hands, if she's going to be a recurring character other than a straight Bad Guy Girl. I don't think being a recurring Marvel character as Wanda's mentor/friend will work if she literally killed a dog maliciously. Plenty of thinkpieces over the years on why we react so strongly to dog murderers. 

We'll see once we get Mephisto next week, which again knowing nothing more than you comic veterans' guesses sounds like where this is heading.

5 minutes ago, Mr Gordo said:

There is speculation that the fly on the window was Mephisto. I guess his first appearance in the comics was as a fly.

That part made me wonder.  Wanda was obviously looking for her twins, and then we see the bunny and the "fly" (was it a fly exactly?  Kinda looked bigger, but whatever - insect).  For whatever reason, my first inclination was that Agatha turned the twins into the bunny and the fly based on how that scene played out.  Seems silly while typing all that, but this show is all about silliness.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

That part made me wonder.  Wanda was obviously looking for her twins, and then we see the bunny and the "fly" (was it a fly exactly?  Kinda looked bigger, but whatever - insect).  For whatever reason, my first inclination was that Agatha turned the twins into the bunny and the fly based on how that scene played out.  Seems silly while typing all that, but this show is all about silliness.

I did almost get that impression as well, although it would probably have made more sense if there were two bunnies since we already saw one in an earlier scene.

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

"Best"?  That actually sounds incredibly terrible.  (Not Ali as Blade, that's fine on its face, but terrible that he'd appear on this show...)

It was "Best" as in best out of left field laugh.

I did notice that when we see Agatha for the first time that she didn't have a ring on her finger, so perhaps Ralph was only part of the Agnes facade.

8 minutes ago, ithanos said:

It was "Best" as in best out of left field laugh.

I did notice that when we see Agatha for the first time that she didn't have a ring on her finger, so perhaps Ralph was only part of the Agnes facade.

I was gonna say, if Agnes is puppeteering things as much as she says, there’s really no need for Ralph to even exist. Although it’s not clear how much is her doing and how much is Wanda’s at this point.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

It was a cicada 

Wasn't there talk at one point of a Blade series with Blade who is the son of the Wesley Snipes Blade?      Making Mahershala Ali as Blade Jr. could free the MCU from sticking too close to the comics, while retaining it's history as background.

I'm no Marvel comics aficionado, but at this point in the season, with two episodes left of 30-40 minutes, it seems to me to be a mistake to introduce another antagonist on top of Agnes/Agatha, not to mention Sword Military Dude. Too many balls in the air already. 

If they want to do that, it's probably best that it's a cliffhanger leading into Season 2. Though I actually don't know if there's going to be a Season 2 of this show.

45 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I'm no Marvel comics aficionado, but at this point in the season, with two episodes left of 30-40 minutes, it seems to me to be a mistake to introduce another antagonist on top of Agnes/Agatha, not to mention Sword Military Dude. Too many balls in the air already. 

If they want to do that, it's probably best that it's a cliffhanger leading into Season 2. Though I actually don't know if there's going to be a Season 2 of this show.

I think not. This show is setting things up for Captain Marvel 2 and Dr. Strange 2 (and maybe Spider-Man: Homecoming 3) and if they do another Scarlet Witch show further down the road, it'll likely be a different kind of thing.

Falcon & Winter Soldier getting a second season I think is more likely.

I binged this yesterday and it was just ok to me. Given that I'm not a comic/MCU fan or expert, and also given that I don't actually care about these characters, what they are setting up (more movies i likely don't care about) and am totally burnt out on superheroes, Avengers in particular, ok is a decent review. I am not the targeted audience. 

Kathryn Hahn is spectacular and while I figured she was going to be a bad guy of sorts, I thought it was somehow going to tie back to Into the Spiderverse because she was Doc Ock. (Again, not an expert, don't know 'rules' etc about who can be where what etc).

Anyways, bring on Loki. 

10 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Yea, I think it's a mistake to think of this series as a stand alone story.  So what we may be seeing is a number of storylines arising out of this series that will play out in other series and movies.  After all this is Disney we are talking about, and they have a big interest in stringing out plotlines so you don't cancel your membership when one series is over.

1 minute ago, Frey family reunion said:

Yea, I think it's a mistake to think of this series as a stand alone story.  So what we may be seeing is a number of storylines arising out of this series that will play out in other series and movies.  After all this is Disney we are talking about, and they have a big interest in stringing out plotlines so you don't cancel your membership when one series is over.

You're probably right, but to me this is really unfortunate. The best MCU products for me have been those that are relatively standalone and have their own tone (Thor: Ragnorak and Black Panther come to mind). If this is all just a prelude to Phase 17 of the MCU and setup for 50 new movies and TV shows rather than standing on its own to a certain extent and having a plot and emotional payoff, the end of the season is going to be a pretty big letdown.

Anyway, I'm canceling Disney+ as soon as this show is done, so take that, Mouse!

27 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

You're probably right, but to me this is really unfortunate. The best MCU products for me have been those that are relatively standalone and have their own tone (Thor: Ragnorak and Black Panther come to mind). If this is all just a prelude to Phase 17 of the MCU and setup for 50 new movies and TV shows rather than standing on its own to a certain extent and having a plot and emotional payoff, the end of the season is going to be a pretty big letdown.

Anyway, I'm canceling Disney+ as soon as this show is done, so take that, Mouse!

I hope I'm wrong and we get a satisfactory conclusion to the story.  Even if they are using this series to springboard a bunch of their other shows, the series itself can conclude fairly satisfactorily.  I enjoyed the Mandalorian Season 2, even though logically I know a lot of the episodes were put in place just to help launch a bunch of other shows.  

I mean, at the very least we're looking at one other antagonist in whoever Quicksilver actually is, and possibly a second if "Ralph" is revealed to be another big bad.  We're also told that we're going to have a big reveal that might be bigger than Luke Skywalker's big reveal in the Mandalorian.  Which probably means WandaVision is going to introduce one of the main players in one of their recently acquired franchises.  That in itself would be pretty cool.  I guess.

Am I alone in assuming that Agatha is the big bad for this season with a satisfactory conclusion but that the big bad for Dr Strange and the Multiverse of Madness will be revealed in a post credits scene?

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Am I alone in assuming that Agatha is the big bad for this season with a satisfactory conclusion but that the big bad for Dr Strange and the Multiverse of Madness will be revealed in a post credits scene?

I wouldn't say I'm assuming that, but it'd make a lot of sense, yeah.  It'd also be about on par with how the MCU has done this in the past.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

Yeah I'm sure this is actually how it will go down, which is actually a little disappointing in some ways, as it makes Wandavision seem pretty small time. One of the things that has gotten me excited by the show is the way that it seems to be a jumping off point for a number of other exciting potential stories which could be far larger in scale. It would be an anti climax if this was really all down to some old lady witch with a corny book in her basement.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah I'm sure this is actually how it will go down, which is actually a little disappointing in some ways, as it makes Wandavision seem pretty small time. One of the things that has gotten me excited by the show is the way that it seems to be a jumping off point for a number of other exciting potential stories which could be far larger in scale. It would be an anti climax if this was really all down to some old lady witch with a corny book in her basement.

I’m assuming it will be another “I’ll just do it myself” reveal.

Just the introduction of the multiverse itself is pretty big going forward isn’t it? I don’t feel we’re owed a big villain reveal. 

I still haven’t quite absorbed the torrent of MCU announcements we got a while back, but there’ll now be an MCU release EVERY WEEK until the end of the year. One per series of that will be a making of, but any other gaps are filled with cinematic releases. That’s insane. And is there any reason to think they won’t just keep announcing stuff, are we just in a perpetual weekly schedule of MCU now? Does Feige ever sleep?

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

Just the introduction of the multiverse itself is pretty big going forward isn’t it? I don’t feel we’re owed a big villain reveal. 

I still haven’t quite absorbed the torrent of MCU announcements we got a while back, but there’ll now be an MCU release EVERY DAY until the end of the year. One per series of that will be a making of, but any other gaps are filled with cinematic releases. That’s insane. And is there any reason to think they won’t just keep announcing stuff, are we just in a perpetual weekly schedule of MCU now? Does Feige ever sleep?

Every day? Maybe every week.

Archived