WandaVision 2: Sitcoms and Superheroes and Spoilers too

mormont

6 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

The shooting of magic beams out of hands is not that far off from what Strange and other sorcerers do, but it is my least preferred way of showing witchcraft and magic. Though I do like the geometrical patterns the sorcerers do. More of that, less of shooty beams.

I guess we as fantasy readers are a little more particular about magic systems having read about so many. I just need some effort to go into it, even if it’s just the type of exposition we get in Doctor Strange about how they do what they do. Harry Potter esque incantations are just never explained beyond ‘point at this and say this’. Why is that difficult to learn? What happens if some regular joe does the same thing? It’s just all a bit ... panto. If that word carries outside the UK, I’m not sure.

I don't have a problem with people shooting lazer beams out of their hands, but the issue with the witches doing it, is that it's so damn unimaginative. It's just a lazy fallback for witches powers. You'd think they could have come up with something better for Salem crones than just shooting pew pew. 

27 minutes ago, DMC said:

I guess I just don't get the big difference between this and, say, Captain Marvel using her magic beam to take on Thanos with the infinity gauntlet until he uses the power stone to punch her, or Thor's SUPER magical hammer being able to go through Thanos' magic beam to stab him.

Indeed. Something as sprawling as the MCU is going to have moments that throw fans for various reasons. We can't all agree on subjective views on silly comic book movies. It'd be like arguing which Fast And Furious action scene was the least logical. For whatever reason, my line was deciding to throw in immortal witches who haven't shown up since the 1600s until our hero/antihero pulled up to her little Jersey town. Just goes back to the common "well were the fuck were they when..." logic that ruins comics for any of us thinking too hard. 

Perhaps more scandalous of an opinion: Hahn was great as a side-glancing conspirator with a secret, but abysmal as an outright antagonist. 

21 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

Just goes back to the common "well were the fuck were they when..." logic that ruins comics for any of us thinking too hard. 

They were fighting the wizards.  Duh.

23 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

Perhaps more scandalous of an opinion: Hahn was great as a side-glancing conspirator with a secret, but abysmal as an outright antagonist. 

I'm gonna need more information before deciding on the latter.  I'm a huge fan of Hahn's but it would be fair to say superhero antagonist is uncharted territory for her, so we'll see.

3 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Wait. Is the argument the aesthetic of the scene or that they used Salem and witches in general?  I mean, it is established in the comics that Agatha Harkness was part of the witch trials in the comics...

I’m going for aesthetics here, I don’t really have an issue with the Salem thing, comics really do mine that source quite a lot and it doesn’t bother me. I just think the way it was done could have been far more subtle and interesting and less ‘modern’ for lack of a better word.

I'm just being a cranky prick about the whole shebang. Sorry to distract from the plot intrigue that is in high gear after that episode.

So who is going to be Jimmy's Westview secret? Will that be connected to Agatha living there (assuming her witch lair is a permanent location there)? Next week's episode will have a whole heck of a lot going on,  seems like. Where the fuck is Dottie anyway - or are she and fake Peitro total red herrings a la Clue?

The creepy "for the children" chanting has me convinced there's something more to be revealed with Dottie. Also now that we know neither Agatha or the location of Westview seem to have enhanced Wanda's powers I feel like they need an explanation for that and it could tie into Dottie? Like maybe Agatha's not that evil, just sorta concerned with Wanda's potential for causing problems and uuuh...enslaving people. and Dottie is the villain. (Oh wait why did she kill Sparky?! That's pretty evil. )

Since Dottie is "the key to everything around here" maybe she's also a witch or an alien or nightmare or something. She wasn't on the board with the IDs of the residents. 

On another note, I'm wondering why the Vision created in the hex has quicksilver's super speed. 

I know we still need someone to be Jimmy's witness in Westview, but I think you're all over-reading Dottie. She played her role as the snooty social coordinator of the neighbourhood in the Bewitched episode; the "for the children" was a joke about her social control in suburbia. She played that role, just like Vision's boss played a certain role in episode 1 that veered into weirdness.

Let's also give a hand to Debra Jo Rupp's agent.  I get that she's a bit of a name. Lord knows I think she's fantastic, but two seconds of screen time in episode 8 and she's in the closing credits right up there with Olsen, Bettany, and Hahn. Hell the guy playing Hayward has never gotten that type of credit, and he could end up being the overall big bad!

This isn't criticism either! Just amusement at some of the workings of Hollywood...

12 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

I'm just being a cranky prick about the whole shebang. Sorry to distract from the plot intrigue that is in high gear after that episode.

So who is going to be Jimmy's Westview secret? Will that be connected to Agatha living there (assuming her witch lair is a permanent location there)? Next week's episode will have a whole heck of a lot going on,  seems like. Where the fuck is Dottie anyway - or are she and fake Peitro total red herrings a la Clue?

This episode gave the impression she didn't live there, but was drawn by the strong release of magic, and she came to investigate. The Agatha song starts with her flying in and transforming into Agnes.

Now I still think that the dungeon may have existed there already, and Agatha was aware of it, and possibly had lived there. In her first scene, Agnes tells Wanda that she had just returned in town because her mother-in-law had been there, so she wasn't. And of course, we see that she killed her own mother back in Salem. (or mother of the witches maybe) 

As to Woo's witness: in a previous post I suggested that the woman from the commercials might be the witness, though Dottie is also a good candidate.

1 minute ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I know we still need someone to be Jimmy's witness in Westview, but I think you're all over-reading Dottie. She played her role as the snooty social coordinator of the neighbourhood in the Bewitched episode; the "for the children" was a joke about her social control in suburbia. She played that role, just like Vision's boss played a certain role in episode 1 that veered into weirdness.

Hmmm...I also thought, "For the Children", was also part of Agatha trying to jar Wanda into revealing herself...and likely also part of something bigger, if (as I believe there is) something bigger behind it all...

9 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Huh I would say the opposite. That the witness was just an excuse to involve Jimmy and get Westview on SWORD's radar. 

My thinking about Dottie was influenced by this article I saw but did not read:

WandaVision's Emma Caulfield Teases A Possible Dottie Reveal In Future Episode

But now that I've clicked the article I see all she tweeted was "Where's Dottie?" Fucking Screenrant. 

7 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah like I think Agathas dungeon is cheap daytime teen lit inspired decoration, and I’m seriously hoping it’s not meant to look like that, I’m still partly hoping that the whole Salem thing was an illusion too, or some sort of facade.

The issue is that the show is so immaculately produced, the sets and design are brilliant and well observed down to the last detail.

To then come out with the set of Goosebumps or Sabrina the Teenage Witch makes me think something else must be going on. 

Ive been delving a little deeper into internet chat on Chaos magic and the multiple origin stories for the Scarlet Witch , there is still a lot of room in this story for a Mephisto style man behind the curtain, so that gives me hope 

We still need to figure out who “Ralph” is, I doubt that’s just a running gag.  My guess is that Wanda’s hex world attracted some extra dimensional baddy, who may be interested in using her magic to get them to open a portal to Earth.  Perhaps Agatha is working in concert as an undercover agent to manipulate Wanda into opening some forbidden portal.  Which if true will probably segue into the next Dr. Strange Movie.  And perhaps Wanda is supposed to help Dr. Strange close off whatever Pandora’s box she inadvertently helped open.

Archived