US Politics: 2 Fash 2 Impeach

Morpheus

This trial is a painful watch.

Defense attorneys are absolutely pathetic.

Leahy is barely able to get through a sentence and certainly can't hold order.

Amazing that the current defense is that the attack on January 6 was planned so he couldn't have had an "inciteful" speech.

5 minutes ago, Week said:

This trial is a painful watch.

Defense attorneys are absolutely pathetic.

Leahy is barely able to get through a sentence and certainly can't hold order.

Amazing that the current defense is that the attack on January 6 was planned so he couldn't have had an "inciteful" speech.

Well, duh!  You know it's only about Trump's Jan. 6 speech and not that he was ginning this up from well before the election! [/s]  I wish someone would "ask" a question just to clarify that point, at least:rolleyes:     

I'm a pacifist, but I really want to slap van der Veen, almost as much as Lindsay. (These re strictly fanasies and not meant to incite s.o. to actually do it. )

OMG. "Holy cow", "Jiminy cricket" - who does he think he is, James Stewart in this old movie?

2 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

I'm a pacifist, but I really want to slap van der Veen, almost as much as Lindsay. (These re strictly fanasies and not meant to incite s.o. to actually do it. )

If I hear "No due process!" one more time, I swear...:stillsick:  Well, it's almost 5 pm where I am so it's time to start drinking, I think.

Just now, Prince of the North said:

If I hear "No due process!" one more time, I swear...:stillsick:  Well, it's almost 5 pm where I am so it's time to start drinking, I think.

Already passed 5 on the east coast. :cheers:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/01/trump-has-no-right-due-process-his-impeachment-trial/605641/

I'm about half an hour behind, doggie had to be walked.

To the question of why law enforcement was so ill-prepared for the attack: Why doesn't she mention the order of the Sec. of Defense, for capitol hill police? No armor, no arrests etc. That was a missed opportunity.

2 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

How is it Congress can’t subpoena Trump to testify? Hillary Clinton had to sit through many hours of questioning about BENGHAZI so where the fuck is Donny

My inner cynic says they don't actually want to, and this entire process is just so Dems can claim they did due diligence.  They'll use covid sas a good excuse to not have a real investigation or impeachment trial. 

I'm sure other people can come up with more charitable explanations.

5 minutes ago, Week said:

Thanks!  Interesting read and, of course, I completely agree.  I really, really, really like the last line:

The proper frame of reference for impeachment is consequently not the rights of the president, but the health of the republic.

7 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

How is it Congress can’t subpoena Trump to testify? Hillary Clinton had to sit through many hours of questioning about BENGHAZI so where the fuck is Donny

I suspect they lack the political will to do so. I think the Senate could do it if they voted, but I bet they don't have 50 Democratic Senators for it.

20 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

They could, but it'd be bogged down in legal challenges and make things take longer. 

18 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

A president being compelled to testify before Congress would be pretty precedent-setting (albeit plenty of presidents and former presidents have voluntarily testified).  Especially in defense of himself.  Remember Cheney always refused to testify - even if subpoena'd - by claiming executive privilege.

Archived