Let's catalogue and discuss the "Living Dead"!

hiemal

On 2/8/2021 at 6:50 PM, hiemal said:

1. Wights

These guys seem to be "created" by the Others and seem to be incapable of speech but they must be capable of some independent thought, as the two who were brought through the Wall to Castle Black (and presumably beyond the direct control of any White Walkers and presumably retain some memory of their former lives as going straight after the Lord Commander instead of just attacking whatever they saw until overwhelmed is beyond the stereotypical "brains brains" zombie.

Yes, how did they do it?  Perhaps we have a clue, perhaps 'they' the Others told them too.

"Once they figure a way to work a dead horse, we'll be next. Likely I'll be the first too. 'Edd' they'll say, 'dying's no excuse for laying down no more, so get on up and take this spear, you've got the watch tonight.' Well, I shouldn't be so gloomy. Might be I'll die before they work it out."     Edd Tollett from ASOS Chapter 33 Samwell II

'Edd' they'll say, 'dying's no excuse for laying down no more, so get on up and take this spear, you've got the watch tonight.'

First of all, I'm not the least bit interested in seeing Edd become wight, but well, :( .  Secondly, who is this 'they' and why are they bossing the dead around?  Are the wights not thinking but being directed, following orders and instructions?  Dead meat moving on command?   Might be.  

On 2/9/2021 at 2:50 AM, hiemal said:

These guys seem to be "created" by the Others and seem to be incapable of speech but they must be capable of some independent thought, as the two who were brought through the Wall to Castle Black (and presumably beyond the direct control of any White Walkers and presumably retain some memory of their former lives as going straight after the Lord Commander instead of just attacking whatever they saw until overwhelmed is beyond the stereotypical "brains brains" zombie.

I'm going to guess that they go after hot blood - and further, some blood is 'hotter' than others, e.g. Dany's blood is very hot indeed, and that's why the Undying got so excited about it (I don't suppose they get out of their chairs for much, nowadays).

Archived