What if the north mountain clans discovered a gold mine the size of casterly rock mines after Robert rebellion

Mrstrategy

Worst case would be that potential gold mine is like Talvivaara. That is/was name of area in Northern Finland and mining company that went bankruptcy 2016. Or though that area includes minerals worth billions of Euro real value of that treasure chest of nature is negative. 

PS. In Finnish books of ASoIaF Winterfell is Talvivaara.

A few possible scenarios come to mind:

1. Fantasy scenario - the mountain clansmen share the wealth, invest in schools, art, poetry, public health and create a Northern utopia. Meanwhile Ned Stark uses the extra tax revenue to resettle the Gift, invest in roads, improved agriculture, a navy, a Northern Citadel and strengthen the Northern army defences. End result: Robb Stark easily wins the War of the Five Kings and rules over a new Golden age in the north.

2. Gold is easy to mine scenario - word spreads that there's gold going in the Northern Mountains. Thousands of peasants flock there to get rich. Ned allows this, not realising until its too late that the Mountains will be overwhelmed by lawlessness, cultural tensions, claim conflict, religious differences that result in a violent conflicts popping up all over the place. Any benefit Ned and the mountain clans get from the gold is negated by the trouble it causes

3. Gold is hard to mine scenario - I don't think there are any mines or expert miners in the North? As such Ned sends to the Westerlands for some professionals to help them mine the gold. They come either with strings attached to Tywin Lannister or secretly working for Tywin Lannister. Either way Tywin probably ends up benefiting at the expense of the North because he's Tywin Lannister.

4. Worst case scenario - The North gets invaded and colonized by a richer, more technologically advanced society e.g. Braavos with the help of sell sword companies and sell ships. After all, historically, resources have led to poor countries being invaded by rich countries.

It would be war. Suddenly the Mountain clans have the wealth to assert themselves. The other northern houses are going to want to muscle in on this too if they have the strength. Hell, the Ironborn suddenly will have a reason to start reaving again. Maybe even the Lannisters via sell sword proxies. Robert would almost have to get involved and help Ned clamp all this down. So... war.

On 2/12/2021 at 3:49 PM, Lord Lannister said:

It would be war. Suddenly the Mountain clans have the wealth to assert themselves. The other northern houses are going to want to muscle in on this too if they have the strength. Hell, the Ironborn suddenly will have a reason to start reaving again. Maybe even the Lannisters via sell sword proxies. Robert would almost have to get involved and help Ned clamp all this down. So... war.

What happens is Robert's decision. That's feudalism.  Ned would send Robert, or more accurately, Jon Arryn, a raven, Robert would be informed, and make the final call.   Either that, or he'd just call it 'counting coppers', and Jon Arryn would make the choice.   Either way, nobody but Robert and his administration has a say.  That wouldn't stop other interests from trying to influence Robert, but he's the king.  Par for the course.

On 2/16/2021 at 4:57 AM, aeverett said:

What happens is Robert's decision. That's feudalism.  Ned would send Robert, or more accurately, Jon Arryn, a raven, Robert would be informed, and make the final call.   Either that, or he'd just call it 'counting coppers', and Jon Arryn would make the choice.   Either way, nobody but Robert and his administration has a say.  That wouldn't stop other interests from trying to influence Robert, but he's the king.  Par for the course.

You underestimate both Robert's love for Eddard and his love of war.

Tywin, Littlefinger and Varys would likely exploit this for their own purposes but yes, Robert would still be leading half of the country to war in the North. Unless Cersei killed him before he could do it...which would be both unbelievably stupid and very much in-character.

On 2/10/2021 at 1:01 PM, Mrstrategy said:

What if the North mountain clans had discovered a huge gold mine with the same amount of gold reserves to the casterly rock mines at the time they we're first discovered right after Robert rebellion?

Eddard helps secure it and grows richer for the taxes he receives from said mines, that is about it.  This wouldn't be a huge thing as House Flint is already related to Eddard they could easily ask him for help.  The Mountain Clans would grow rich and they'd have to deal with their younger generation which has been wanting to settle and not roam.

As for the Southern Kingdoms, they do not get involved this is none of their business and would be a huge over step for them to even get that deep into the North for something that would take this much time to do.  So the North is busy dealing with this internally and Eddard probably down the road has to decide if one his second sons will be going to the Mountain clans to make a claim through marriage. 

Archived