Joss Whedeon, getting more canceled by the day

Vaughn

3 minutes ago, dog-days said:

I'm from the UK. People say "what are you, drunk?" to their friends as a joke. It isn't the default response when someone posts about a very unpleasant experience.

Also, "calm down" seems like a pretty odd thing to say in a thread full of men shouting at each other to one of the few posters that hasn't specified their gender. 

OK, I’ll confess to being thoroughly confused and leave it there. I have no idea why asking someone to calm down (Male? Female? No idea, I don’t understand the relevance...) after they essentially said “BFC is abusing Michelle Trachtenberg” is odd. I’m also gonna go and look up gaslighting as based on @Week ‘s usage I don’t think I understand what it means.

On 2/11/2021 at 1:04 PM, Karlbear said:

Ray Fisher sounded satisfied with what he got from WB. And then there are now a number of different people across the line and across the years saying very similar stories.

I didn't read these as Fisher sounding satisfied: 

t.co/y51qzMp7bg 

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/the-flash-ray-fisher-cyborg-essay-warner-bros-officially-moving-on-dc-boss/

-

"On December 30th 2020, I made it clear that I cannot—with a clear conscience—participate in any production associated with the current President of DC Films, Walter Hamada,” he continued. “The reasoning behind that declaration was twofold: 1) Walter’s purposeful attempt to undermine the Justice League investigation in order to protect his friend, and former co-president, Geoff Johns. 2) Walter’s attempt to protect himself by contributing to the public dissemination of lies and misinformation about myself and the Justice League investigation in Warner Bros. Picture’ September 4th statement to The Wrap.”

“Bear in mind, Walter Hamada interfering with the Justice League investigation is a completely separate issue than the investigation itself,” Fisher added. “And while Walter’s behavior was not a point of focus for the investigation of the Justice League reshoots, his dangerous and enabling actions during the investigation process must be called to account.”

-

Granted that was almost a month ago, so I may have missed something recent.

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I can't believe we spent like five pages debating with someone whether it was morally okay for Kubrick to have abused Duvall. Fuck me lads.

It was pretty surreal.  Tears for Fears' Mad World springs to mind.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I couldn't say why that post was different, but that it was different, yes, it was, and it's not because that's how the young'uns write these days.

She's also 35. Not ancient by any means but not a little kid any more, and unlikely to be posting in a kiddie kind of way.

Just for clarity, I've dealt with a significant number of people who have dealt with significant life trauma, I've seen how they react many many times.  The number of people on the board who have more experience in this area I think I could count on one hand. My point about her being drunk was about the fact that 'how could you not be'? Would any of you feel comfortable striking out like that against a member of the Hollywood elite without a drink in you. The spelling, grammar, etc reinforced that. It wasnt a judgment on the veracity of her statement, in fact I think I made it clear it made it more plausible, rather than less. 

For further clarity I've never seen a single episode of Buffy. It looked stupid. Judge away. 

7 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

For further clarity I've never seen a single episode of Buffy. It looked stupid. Judge away.

Heh.  I've felt like I've been secretly operating in this thread as the only one who's never seen and doesn't give a shit about Buffy, Angel, or Firefly.  Appreciate you admitting it first.  Thank you for your bravery.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Heh.  I've felt like I've been secretly operating in this thread as the only one who's never seen and doesn't give a shit about Buffy, Angel, or Firefly.  Appreciate you admitting it first.  Thank you for your bravery.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, I've seen firefly, I'm not an animal. 

I felt that way about Buffy for a long time -- it really did just look silly -- but then they were stripping it (showing it daily) here and Linda caught some and said... huh, it was actually pretty fun. And... you know, it's genuinely pretty great. 

I'd suggest trying "School Hard" (which introduces Spike and Drusilla, two vampires who become pretty significant) from the 2nd season or "Hush" from the 4th season (which is a one-off high concept episode) and seeing whether either of those work for you and make you want to see more. If no, then I don't think there's any Angel episode I'd recommend to see if that suits you more.

As far as I recall, everything around Castle was just rumor, mostly reported by entertainment gossip rags like People. The fact that she got through S8 and the show was cancelled a month later suggests that the most obvious reason she was dropped was that they wanted to heavily trim the budget to try and make it make financial sense despite falling ratings, and hers was the highest next to Fillion's (a reported $12 million for S8 alone) so was dropped. Then they probably realized that without her, it didn't matter if they gutted the budget because there wasn't a show left without her to play off of him.

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

I can remember be distinctly disappointed with Dollhouse. That wasn’t a very interesting show though I expected that it would be for some reason 

It had a really rough start due to Fox meddling and sending a pile of notes that Whedon felt obliged to heed. I thought it finished brilliantly, though. The 2nd season episode, "The Attic", still sticks with me -- it was directed by (amazing) comic book artist John Cassady and, man, he came up with some gorgeous imagery on a TV budget.

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

As far as I recall, everything around Castle was just rumor, mostly reported by entertainment gossip rags like People. The fact that she got through S8 and the show was cancelled a month later suggests that the most obvious reason she was dropped was that they wanted to heavily trim the budget to try and make it make financial sense despite falling ratings, and hers was the highest next to Fillion's (a reported $12 million for S8 alone) so was dropped. Then they probably realized that without her, it didn't matter if they gutted the budget because there wasn't a show left without her to play off of him.

That's a fair assessment I think. It was bullshit though, similar to how Park and Kim were booted off of Hawaii 5-0.

1 minute ago, Vaughn said:

That's a fair assessment I think. It was bullshit though, similar to how Park and Kim were booted off of Hawaii 5-0.

True. It would have been much more graceful if they just said S8 was the last rather than go through the bad press and ill will of trying to stretch it one more season without her.

Archived