More Dragon Casting Announced

Westeros

20 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

yes. Though not much happens between 120 and 130, it would need a jump

I highly doubt they will recast series leads, so I think Olivia Cooke, Emma D’Arcy, Rhys Ifans,  and Matt Smith, Corlys and Rhaenys and Ser Criston (I don’t remember the actors’ names) are here to stay. 

I'd expect that Aegon and Aemond only show up as children in season 1, if they show up at all.

I expect that Rhaenyra and Alicent will marry around the same time, or very shortly after each other ... or with their children being less apart than they are in the books.

Meaning we could have Aegon and Helaena as babies/toddlers in the first season in whose interest Alicent and Otto will act ... but who aren't players so far.

For the second season they could jump ahead so both Rhaenyra's and Alicent's children are older. Aegon II and Aemond and Jace would need good actors in their teens/early twenties who can convincingly play folks in their early teens to twenties.

I don't think we are going to get three different actors for Aegon II as a young child, a teenage boy, and the youth he is when he takes the throne. That would be overkill.

I’m more worried about trying to recast Rhaenyra, Alicent, or Daemon. Those seem like the leads of the series and you need continuity. I wonder if instead the show starts at the Black and Green Tourney (Viserys and Alicent’s five year wedding anniversary I believe) which is where Daemon returns from exile. Or maybe it starts with the wedding of Rhaenyra to Laenor. 
(and therefore the night Rhaenyra and Ser Criston have their falling out, whatever it was.) 

• 5 months later...

Late to the party (I have kinda lost interest in aSoIaF after the awful ending of the GoT TV series...).

About the casting of Steve Toussaint as Corlys Velaryon:

I'm okay with the casting becoming more inclusive, but, do they have to be so clumsy about it...?

I mean, first they wipe all the canon Black characters in the books from the TV series, and they even erase whole cultures (there were many characters from the Summer Islands in the books, and they weren't present in the series), only to make characters like Missandei or Salladhor Saan Black so they can fill their quota... Why didn't they portray the proud, cool archer-sailors instead? Wouldn't that be better that having some slave maid around...?

Now they make Corlys a Black Valyrian of mixed blood. Cool, lets do that... but, couldn't they try better than giving Steve purple contacts and silver tresses...?

Valyrian Dragonlords are basically magical albinos... they keep their recessive looks thanks to inbreeding. When they marry non-Valyrian people, their kids either look normal, like Baelor Targaryen, or like Valyrian albinos, like Maekar Targaryen (well, if they were like real albinos there is no way Maekar would have kept the Valyrian looks, but, whatever, this is Fantasy).

If Corlys is half-Valyrian and half-Summer Islander he should look either like a normal man of mixed heritage without albino traits (like say Barack Obama or Lenny Kravitz) or as a mixed or Black albino.

This is how an African albino looks:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a0/a9/c1/a0a9c10930210d09c796c5a82cb9e0e2.jpg

https://media.istockphoto.com/videos/portrait-of-albino-african-millennial-man-video-id1200322722?s=256x256

What they did instead was give Steve a dye job and some contact lenses, and it looks fake...

6 hours ago, Ser Lepus said:

Late to the party (I have kinda lost interest in aSoIaF after the awful ending of the GoT TV series...).

About the casting of Steve Toussaint as Corlys Velaryon:

I'm okay with the casting becoming more inclusive, but, do they have to be so clumsy about it...?

I mean, first they wipe all the canon Black characters in the books from the TV series, and they even erase whole cultures (there were many characters from the Summer Islands in the books, and they weren't present in the series), only to make characters like Missandei or Salladhor Saan Black so they can fill their quota... Why didn't they portray the proud, cool archer-sailors instead? Wouldn't that be better that having some slave maid around...?

Now they make Corlys a Black Valyrian of mixed blood. Cool, lets do that... but, couldn't they try better than giving Steve purple contacts and silver tresses...?

Valyrian Dragonlords are basically magical albinos... they keep their recessive looks thanks to inbreeding. When they marry non-Valyrian people, their kids either look normal, like Baelor Targaryen, or like Valyrian albinos, like Maekar Targaryen (well, if they were like real albinos there is no way Maekar would have kept the Valyrian looks, but, whatever, this is Fantasy).

If Corlys is half-Valyrian and half-Summer Islander he should look either like a normal man of mixed heritage without albino traits (like say Barack Obama or Lenny Kravitz) or as a mixed or Black albino.

This is how an African albino looks:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a0/a9/c1/a0a9c10930210d09c796c5a82cb9e0e2.jpg

https://media.istockphoto.com/videos/portrait-of-albino-african-millennial-man-video-id1200322722?s=256x256

What they did instead was give Steve a dye job and some contact lenses, and it looks fake...

Honestly, I don't have a problem with it. It's unnatural and uneasy to the eyes at the same time, but if that's what they want, sure, do it. As I said, it's not even as bad as I imagined it would be (to me, of course). But when they'll introduce racial conflicts and stuff, I'm gonna be sad. Really sad.

Archived