What if Rhaegar had named Jon.

Lilac & Gooseberries

It’s a silly what if scenario.

Rhaegar was expecting that Lyanna was going to have a girl which would had been named Visenya. Nonetheless if he had given Jon a Targaryen male name before his death which one do you think that he would had chosen?

My choices are one of those:

Aemon as a foreshadowing since the Dragonknight was one of Jon’s childhood heroes.

Baelor as a foreshadowing for Jon’s later life much like how Breakspear was defending the innocent.

Daeron as a foreshadowing since the Young Dragon was one of Jon’s childhood heroes.

Jaehaerys as the second Conciliator after the Rebellion.

Rhaegar because Lyanna was a lovestruck idiot and Rhaegar was a self-absorbed madman.

Viserys a traditional Targaryen name.

Visenys isn’t a Targaryen name but it seems like the male form of Visenya.

Daemon because I really like the Rogue Prince but is closely connected to the Blackfyres and might not be the best choice for a son born from the second marriage.

Please let’s not let this result into a thread about wights, evil Starks or Jon’s legitimacy.

Thank you.

Soo, I think we can rule out a few like Daemon (bad idea ever since Aegon the IVth, and especially when this one's legitimacy was questionable) Daeron (I think he pissed off Dorne enough without naming him Daeron). This, basically leaves 3 pretty popular Targaryen names, Aemon, Jaehaerys and Viserys.

Now, Viserys already existed, so no, leaving only Aemon or Jaehaerys.

Honestly, both would work about as well, though I think I'm partial for Aemon, both due to Rhaegar wanting to pay homage to a beloved family member, and because there's been a fuck ton of Aemons being younger brothers to Aegons.

1 hour ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

and because there's been a fuck ton of Aemons being younger brothers to Aegons.

I mean, we've got 3 Aemons, all three of them had a brother named Aegon. But Jaehaerys' Aegon died after he was born, but that still makes Aegon older than Aemon. Then it was Aegon IV and Aemon the Dragonknight just the same, but Maester Aemon was older than Egg. It is the 'friendship' of Aemon and Rhaegar what might have made Rhaegar give the name Aemon for a boy.

It might also be Baelon, Gaemon or Aenar, these names were names of Lords of Dragonstone before the Conquest, Baelon and Gaemon was even used by Jaehaerys amd Alysanne. Or he might even get a mostly new name, just as his father (The closest name to Rhaegar is was Rhaegel, a once used name). But names like Aenys, Maekar, Aerion, Maegon have a chance too, tho not that much.

4 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I think I'm partial for Aemon, both due to Rhaegar wanting to pay homage to a beloved family member,

:agree:

3 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

But names like Aenys, Maekar, Aerion, Maegon have a chance too, tho not that much.

Aenys was a weakling, Maekar was considered a kinslayer and could make Dorne furious about him killing his brother, Aerion was insane and Maeglor was cruel.

2 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

He seemed to treat his children like sweepstakes entries or raffles: the more you enter, the more you win. So he probably entered all Aegons.

:lol: You are not wrong. But I think that he was trying for two girls one boy. He was invested in his Aegon bein tptwp.

2 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Rhaegar did name him, after his mans, Griff Connington

My take on Jon Snow and Jon Connington sharing a name is GRRM did it to add more tragedy to Connington's story.  

I bet Connington would be thrilled about sharing the same name as Rhaegar's son. However, Jon Snow isn't named Jon because Rhaegar is honoring Connington but because Ned chose the name.

Jon Snow is everything Connington deluded himself into thinking Aegon is, but Jon turning out as well as he did has nothing to do with Connington.  

I see the shared name as GRRM highlighting that Connington wasted his life on someone who didn't return his affection and a false cause.  

Aemon is my preferred Targaryen name for Jon, and I'm partial to the idea Lyanna gave him the name for her own reasons (for example because the Dragonknight greatly respected Cregan Stark) in addition to thinking Rhaegar would have liked the name.   

6 hours ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Aenys was a weakling, Maekar was considered a kinslayer and could make Dorne furious about him killing his brother, Aerion was insane and Maeglor was cruel.

You do seem to forget how there were Aegons after Aegon IV too, and that the name Daeron became popular after the Dance, used by Black descendants, while the only Daeron before was the son of Viserys and Alicent, a Green.

The names Daenys and Aenar were also never used again, altough they were big characters in Targaryen history. Aerys I also wasn't the first Aerys, because there was an Aerys before the conquest too, yet the name wasn't used for more than 200 years. Maegon and Aerion are also names first used by pre-conquest Targs.

Just as it was Baelon and Gaemon. But these names both were used once again, by Alysanne and Jaehaerys too.

Also notate how there were no Viseryses after Viserys II for a long time.

It's just interesting, and sometimes makes no sense, so I don't think Jon's Valyrian name is predictable at this point, if he ever received one. I'd still go with Aemon being the most likely.

14 hours ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Wasn't Ned the one who gave Jon the name Jon

:dunno:

14 hours ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

wasn#t Arthur his best friend? 

So they say

12 hours ago, Harlaw's Book the Sequel said:

My take on Jon Snow and Jon Connington sharing a name is GRRM did it to add more tragedy to Connington's story.  

I bet Connington would be thrilled about sharing the same name as Rhaegar's son. However, Jon Snow isn't named Jon because Rhaegar is honoring Connington but because Ned chose the name.

Jon Snow is everything Connington deluded himself into thinking Aegon is, but Jon turning out as well as he did has nothing to do with Connington.  

I see the shared name as GRRM highlighting that Connington wasted his life on someone who didn't return his affection and a false cause.  

I agree with your post. However we dont actually know that Ned named the kid, so its totally feasible that Rheagar did, after all hes not a wildling.

I think Conns story is pathetic and tragically hysterical, having Snow named after him is icing on a cake

32 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

:dunno:

5. Since all of their mothers died, who gave Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen and Tyrion Lannister their names?

Mothers can name a child before birth, or during, or after, even while they are dying. Dany was most like named by her mother, Tyrion by his father, Jon by Ned.

https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1202/

33 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

5. Since all of their mothers died, who gave Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen and Tyrion Lannister their names?

Mothers can name a child before birth, or during, or after, even while they are dying. Dany was most like named by her mother, Tyrion by his father, Jon by Ned.

The only one who claims otherwise is the one who was in love with Rhaegar.

8 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

You do seem to forget how there were Aegons after Aegon IV too, and that the name Daeron became popular after the Dance, used by Black descendants, while the only Daeron before was the son of Viserys and Alicent, a Green.

About the Aegon, it was the Targaryen name before the Unworthy. While none of the others had a second member with the same name.

8 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

The names Daenys and Aenar were also never used again, altough they were big characters in Targaryen history. Aerys I also wasn't the first Aerys, because there was an Aerys before the conquest too, yet the name wasn't used for more than 200 years. Maegon and Aerion are also names first used by pre-conquest Targs.

Just as it was Baelon and Gaemon. But these names both were used once again, by Alysanne and Jaehaerys too.

Also notate how there were no Viseryses after Viserys II for a long time.

I agree with those. I find it weird how the saviour of the Targaryen family was not a popular name in the family.

6 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

"Most like" is not was. I take SSMs with a grain of salt anyway.

Conn probably did not have sexual relations with his prince, that doesn't mean they werent close.

I agree they might had been. But if it was me I would prefer to give the name of my best friend to my son rather than the name of just a close friend.

1 hour ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

About the Aegon, it was the Targaryen name before the Unworthy. While none of the others had a second member with the same name.

Actually, the only Aegon named Aegon because of the Conqueror was Aegon II by the time the Unworthy was born. Neither was he named Aegon because the Conqueror, but because Viserys loved his brother. Later the name Aegon was given to Aegon V, the son of Aerys II and the son of Rhaegar because of the Conqueror. And these are the 4 cases in which the name Aegon was given to someone to honor the conqueror. It mainly became trending after the Unworthy. 

What I'm saying with this is that names like Aerion and Maekar aren't as doomed as Aerys or Maegor. Especially not for Targaryens, because while we do see Aerion insane for drinking wildfire, a later Targaryen might even feel sorry for him, only knowing he desperately tried to bring back dragons, or something. And even tho Maekar wasn't that much of a beloved king, he was a good one.

Tho I'm not suggesting any of these could be the names of Jon. If Rhaegar had a name for a boy too, I'd think it'd be Aemon, for obvious reasons (and also because we need King Aemon, First of his Name). I'd rather say that if Jon will be king, and will be ruling as a Targaryen thereafter, few generations later such names I mentioned above could appear, even the name Aerys too.

But (and I know I'm pretty far at this point, but whatever) if Jon isn't, then I'm sure his son will be named Aemon (if he'll have one in the future).

29 minutes ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

I think Aemon is the most likely name. and I’ve written a short post about why. There is a surprising amount of foreshadowing.

http://theweirwoodseyes.blogspot.com/2019/

You just convinced me with the first qoute and the parallel with Dalla's child.

3 hours ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

I think Aemon is the most likely name. and I’ve written a short post about why. There is a surprising amount of foreshadowing.

http://theweirwoodseyes.blogspot.com/2019/

:eek: Really nice! I had counted only Jon's childhood hero as a foreshadowing but wow! I had literally shivers down my spine reading the last part.

Archived