What if Rhaegar had named Jon.

Lilac & Gooseberries

There is a nice little detail I just noticed. While there are some Aemons and they had Aegons brothers there was never an Aemon King. How nice is it for Jon to be Aemon Stark/Targaryen First of his name. It’s a nice detail for him being the unique king in his situation and a nice and clean start for the post apocalyptic Westeros.

8 minutes ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

While Aemon seems to be the answer I just realised that much like Daeron brought Dorne in the Seven Kingdoms by marriage, Daeron III can bring the Free Folk in the Seven Kingdoms after his marriage with Val.

Also it'd be funny given Jon was born in Dorne in the Prince's Pass given it's importance in the OG Daeron's Conquest.

On 2/12/2021 at 5:45 PM, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Maekar was considered a kinslayer and could make Dorne furious about him killing his brother

You arent the first person to say this, but it makes no sense considering Maeker and Baelor have the same mother, meaning he is a Martell as well. 

3 hours ago, dsjj251 said:

You arent the first person to say this, but it makes no sense considering Maeker and Baelor have the same mother, meaning he is a Martell as well. 

Aegon not Baelor. Dorne could think it as an indication that Jon would be a kinslayer to take the Throne like many people thought about Maekar.

3 hours ago, dsjj251 said:

Gaemon works as well

Why? 

4 hours ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Aegon not Baelor. Dorne could think it as an indication that Jon would be a kinslayer to take the Throne like many people thought about Maekar.

Jon was a child when Aegon died, so the correlation doesnt work. 

And with Aegon dead, Jon is still the logical next person up. 

4 hours ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Why? 

if Rhaegar sees himself as the savior of his line, it isnt Aerion he sees himself as, its Aenar. 

5 minutes ago, dsjj251 said:

Jon was a child when Aegon died, so the correlation doesnt work. 

And with Aegon dead, Jon is still the logical next person up. 

If Rhaegar named Jon then Aegon is still alive. For Rhaegar to chose the name Maekar is like he is looking for trouble. In all truthfulness however Jon's existance is Rhaegar looking for trouble.

7 minutes ago, dsjj251 said:

if Rhaegar sees himself as the savior of his line, it isnt Aerion he sees himself as, its Aenar. 

I didn't think about that, interesting.

On 2/12/2021 at 1:34 PM, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

It’s a silly what if scenario.

Rhaegar was expecting that Lyanna was going to have a girl which would had been named Visenya. Nonetheless if he had given Jon a Targaryen male name before his death which one do you think that he would had chosen?

My choices are one of those:

Aemon as a foreshadowing since the Dragonknight was one of Jon’s childhood heroes.

Baelor as a foreshadowing for Jon’s later life much like how Breakspear was defending the innocent.

Daeron as a foreshadowing since the Young Dragon was one of Jon’s childhood heroes.

Jaehaerys as the second Conciliator after the Rebellion.

Rhaegar because Lyanna was a lovestruck idiot and Rhaegar was a self-absorbed madman.

Viserys a traditional Targaryen name.

Visenys isn’t a Targaryen name but it seems like the male form of Visenya.

Daemon because I really like the Rogue Prince but is closely connected to the Blackfyres and might not be the best choice for a son born from the second marriage.

Please let’s not let this result into a thread about wights, evil Starks or Jon’s legitimacy.

Thank you.

I don't think it can be taken for granted that Rhaegar wanted or expected a girl. For all we know, Rhaegar might have hoped to fulfill the same prophecy with his children that Aegon might have wanted to fulfill with his sisters. Which would imply that, great as Aegon and his sisters were considered to be, at some point more prophecy-minded Targs might have started to look at them as having fallen short of fulfilling the prophecies, maybe even especially after the dragons died. But even just politically, Rhaegar needed another son much more than he needed another daughter.

As for names, I don't know what Rhaegar might have preferred, but I think strong cases can be made that Lyanna named Jon Aegon (Rhaegar's eldest was dead by that point), Aemon, or Jaehaerys.

14 hours ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

If Rhaegar named Jon then Aegon is still alive. For Rhaegar to chose the name Maekar is like he is looking for trouble. In all truthfulness however Jon's existance is Rhaegar looking for trouble.

LOL, im saying that you cant possible call a child a kinslayer in the context of your post. 

1 hour ago, dsjj251 said:

LOL, im saying that you cant possible call a child a kinslayer in the context of your post. 

You cannot name a child a monster either but people didn’t want Aerion’s son because of his name. I am trying to say that some names have a bad reputation because of their history.

2 hours ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

You cannot name a child a monster either but people didn’t want Aerion’s son because of his name. I am trying to say that some names have a bad reputation because of their history.

Altough Maegor was passed over by the Great Council, they did it because the boy was an infant, only few months old. Then of couse, Aerion naming him Maegor gave matter to the folk to talk about Maegor I and how bad a name Maegor is, but the Great Council gave a damn about it, they knew Aerion was insane and meant it a joke (proof that he was insane). They passed over him after all for two reasons:

-Being only a few months old (noone wanted a child king)

-They were afraid the boy inherited his father's insanity. (And people, one can imagine not the smarter ones, started talking about Maegor I and how the boy shouldn't be king for having such a name, but his name didn't really influence the outcome, if it did at all).

Also, the fact that such a thing happened (I mean passing over the rightful heir), and later nothing bad came out of it (Like a rebellion or usurpation) makes me believe that the boy didn't live long enough to want to push his claims.

Archived