Targaryens in the Century of Blood

6 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

I know which Aerys and which Viserys you're referring to, but what Daemon are you referring to?

The Rogue Prince.

On 2/16/2021 at 11:13 PM, Lord Varys said:

Yes, the idea there was that this could, perhaps, help explain why the hell Daenaera Velaryon is the kind of 'super Valyrian' that she apparently is. But the idea that the Targaryen blood would still run strong in the Hartes - or in whatever petty house that daughter of Gaemon's married into - after 200 years isn't all that likely.

And one would not have to imagine that it was the Hartes back then, just that Hazel Harte is somehow descended from that petty lord and his Targaryen lady.

A Velaryon or a Celtigar lady can marry into house Harte later on, so they can have some more Valyrian blood.

2 hours ago, Endymion I Targaryen said:

A Velaryon or a Celtigar lady can marry into house Harte later on, so they can have some more Valyrian blood.

Of course, but that kind of thing would have happened to many a house in the Narrow Sea/Crownlands region ... and still, a girl with as strong Valyrian features as Daenaera Velaryon is very rare. And we cannot really expect that Vaemond Velaryon and his father did get that prestigious brides as merely younger sons and grandsons of the heir of Driftmark.

But, yes, if one wanted to make the Daenaera thing make sense then we would go with the assumption that Hartes got some more Valyrian blood than just from that daughter of Lord Gaemon (if we assume that this was the case).

And with the Velaryons in general I'd also go with the assumption that Alarra Massey had Valyrian ancestors via a Targaryen, Velaryon, or Celtigar marrying into the house 1-2 generations earlier as well as that they liked to marry their cousins, especially when the family branched out in the 1st century. The first Daemon, Aethan, and the second Daemon all had multiple sons and daughters, meaning that Corlys' father could have married a Velaryon cousin, just as his brothers could have.

This kind of thing could also explain why the Velaryons still look Valyrian during the main series.

7 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Of course, but that kind of thing would have happened to many a house in the Narrow Sea/Crownlands region ... and still, a girl with as strong Valyrian features as Daenaera Velaryon is very rare. And we cannot really expect that Vaemond Velaryon and his father did get that prestigious brides as merely younger sons and grandsons of the heir of Driftmark.

But, yes, if one wanted to make the Daenaera thing make sense then we would go with the assumption that Hartes got some more Valyrian blood than just from that daughter of Lord Gaemon (if we assume that this was the case).

And with the Velaryons in general I'd also go with the assumption that Alarra Massey had Valyrian ancestors via a Targaryen, Velaryon, or Celtigar marrying into the house 1-2 generations earlier as well as that they liked to marry their cousins, especially when the family branched out in the 1st century. The first Daemon, Aethan, and the second Daemon all had multiple sons and daughters, meaning that Corlys' father could have married a Velaryon cousin, just as his brothers could have.

This kind of thing could also explain why the Velaryons still look Valyrian during the main series.

Add to this that many Crownland houses who trade much with Free Cities due to proximity can intermarry with Valyrian houses of these places. I will not be surprised if Daenaera had a Lyseni grandmother or great-grandmother

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived