US Politics: One No Trump

Fragile Bird

10 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

These motherfuckers called themselves mercenaries, they're just following the money. They knew that there was a good chance Trump loses, and that they can just print money playing both sides once the Dems came into office.

But since you think they are genuine, I've got this bridge I'd like to sell you.

They can't go back to the Republicans and they knew that when they made that choice. They hate Dems, but they hate Republican traitors a great deal more. That sentiment was largely what fueled the Lincoln Project and never-Trumpers. They'll align with Dems to burn the GOP to the ground for being traitors to what the GOP claims it used to stand for.

I love how now everyone (on twitter) says, Don't worry, we'll get him with x or y. Criminal charges, state crimes, his debts, house committee, etc. With the SCOTUS on his side (emoluments case) and probably a pocket pardon in his, well, pocket. I wish I had 10 bucks for every time someone thought, We' ll get him this time! Mueller investigation anyone? I'd be filthy rich now.

*snicker* I had the same thought when walking my dog:

https://twitter.com/astefanowitsch/status/1360675047766183943

(The Democrats were invented to make the German SocialDemocrats look marginally less inconsistent.)

Just now, Mindwalker said:

I love how now everyone (on twitter) says, Don't worry, we'll get him with x or y. Criminal charges, state crimes, his debts, house committee, etc. With the SCOTUS on his side (emoluments case) and probably a pocket pardon in his, well, pocket. I wish I had 10 bucks for every time someone thought, We' ll get him this time! Mueller investigation anyone? I'd be filthy rich now.

If anyone was morbidly wondering what being a life-long Cleveland Browns fan is like, being a Democrat these days comes pretty damn close.

17 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

They can't go back to the Republicans and they knew that when they made that choice. They hate Dems, but they hate Republican traitors a great deal more. That sentiment was largely what fueled the Lincoln Project and never-Trumpers. They'll align with Dems to burn the GOP to the ground for being traitors to what the GOP claims it used to stand for.

They don't need to go anywhere!  They just cashed in!  

19 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

How much money did you give the Lincoln Project that you are doing damage control to reassure yourself that that you didn't get conned?

14 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

How much money did you give the Lincoln Project that you are doing damage control to reassure yourself that that you didn't get conned?

Shoulda spent the money on a We Banging 'Til The End t-shirt instead; or a We Are The Squad t-shirt.  :rofl:

7 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

I gave to Dems, not the Lincoln Project. Gonna open a can of worms now.

Anytime you see a lot of money with little or no oversight, always assume something hinky is going on. This is why I'm adamantly against any consolidation of power whether it's government on the left or "free" markets on the right. Power, especially consolidated and unchecked power, draws corruption like moth to flame. 

I'm careful about who I give my money to, even charities. I look at Charity Navigator, Give Well and Charity Watch before I donate to any charity. While I love animals and animal charities, don't get me started on the ASPCA's con job going on right now. Tons of money spent on advertising and leading the viewer to think they fund dog and cat rescues. $0 of that money goes to your local animal shelters and much of their resources do not go to dog and cat rescues as they'd like you to believe. Give to your local animal shelters instead. After you check them out first.

And trying to get people to understand that I do not want to invest in corrupt companies who are not responsible is :bang:. Fact of the matter is we complain about how companies treat their employees, the environment, control politicians, but we reward them when we look the other way and buy from them and put our 401k in them because they bring in the most money. Usually by doing what we claim to be against. Try bringing up ethical investing with whoever is managing your 401k. You'll see what I mean.

Rant over.

12 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Shoulda spent the money on a We Banging 'Til The End t-shirt instead; or a We Are The Squad t-shirt.  :rofl:

Hard to tell from here, but it looks like there are decent projects to support, like Crooked Media (and their on-the-ground work) or, if you're into the ad and trolling thing, MeidasTouch.

2 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Hard to tell from her, but it looks like there are decent projects to support, like Crooked Media (and their on-the-ground work) or, if you're into the ad and trolling thing, MeidasTouch.

Unless there's transparency and regular reporting on the amount of money being taken in and where it's going, don't give them any. Human beings suck and our capacity for denial and rationalization is stellar. They can't help themselves.

7 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Hard to tell from here, but it looks like there are decent projects to support, like Crooked Media (and their on-the-ground work) or, if you're into the ad and trolling thing, MeidasTouch.

I like t-shirts.  One sees what one gets for the money.  :rofl:

(Though we do contribute to many causes, including the NYPL and to different musicians' aid and assistance funds -- the latter we prefer to do when possible by providing them work, and giving it directly into individual musicians' bank accounts -- doing a whole lot of that with next month's Big Production -- and donating to actual political candidates and their campaigns too.)

Oh, I'm not trying to shame anyone into giving money for the cause. Actually, the fact that this is even necessary in the US is disturbing.

(But if I was in the US, I'd have otten myself a Bernie mitten shirt. And AOC merch. Was for a good cause, too.)

Just trying to point out there are alternatives to TLP.

Dear Senator Raskin, Hannah would have wanted you to call witnesses, too. I bet.

Democratic leadership can be fucking feckless, but they're also in a tough spot. They had the votes to call witnesses, but they clearly didn't have the votes to change the rules in response to the shitshow that would ensure. Both having to vote down every random name the defense introduced as a witness, and, from the most recent reports, McConnell jamming up the senate works after the trial ended.

Clearly, Democrats made the decision that the impeachment was about 2022, and tying Senate Republicans to Trump, rather than trying to get a conviction. And they felt they have enough in the public record, plus the forthcoming acquittal votes from Republicans, to make the attack ads. So the cost of lost time wasn't worth it for getting witness testimony.

It frustrates me to no end, but its hard to be too mad at Schumer when he doesn't have a majority willing to play hardball. If he did have a united caucus, he could probably force Republicans to back down (and change the rules if they don't), get the handful of witnesses House managers would want, and call it a day.

4 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Just trying to point out there are alternatives to TLP.

Dear Senator Raskin, Hannah would have wanted you to call witnesses, too. I bet.

I wouldn't ever have been so stupid as to contribute to TLP.  I know grift and corruption and hypocrisy.  AOC is a candidate we've $upported from the gitgo.

But the need on the ground everywhere for every kind of support for millions and millions and millions of people -- there is only so much a person can do.  And honestly, we're just about tapped out in terms of financial giving, and I sure as heck am tapped out for food - meal - and necessities support for the people we've been helping, like across-the-hall neighbor.  She's one of the few double dose vaccinate fortunately -- or not considering all the co-morbidities (not obesity though) -- getting food for her was difficult.  But I just can't cook for her any more, or keep giving her towels and sheets and anything else she can think of.  I'm out.  I'm really, really, really tired too.  And her demands are now exactly that: demands.  She even started telling me what I should make her and when, because she doesn't like anymore what we've been sharing out of our own daily meals -- all of which I plan and make.  There does come a point, even when someone has chemical imbalances in the brain.  She can go out and buy her own gddmed food now.

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

Democratic leadership can be fucking feckless, but they're also in a tough spot. They had the votes to call witnesses, but they clearly didn't have the votes to change the rules in response to the shitshow that would ensure. Both having to vote down every random name the defense introduced as a witness, and, from the most recent reports, McConnell jamming up the senate works after the trial ended.

Clearly, Democrats made the decision that the impeachment was about 2022, and tying Senate Republicans to Trump, rather than trying to get a conviction. And they felt they have enough in the public record, plus the forthcoming acquittal votes from Republicans, to make the attack ads. So the cost of lost time wasn't worth it for getting witness testimony.

It frustrates me to no end, but its hard to be too mad at Schumer when he doesn't have a majority willing to play hardball. If he did have a united caucus, he could probably force Republicans to back down (and change the rules if they don't), get the handful of witnesses House managers would want, and call it a day.

:agree:

And we're done, final vote only 57-43 to convict; though that is slightly better than I'd have guessed.

I didn't think Cassidy would go all the way, and Burr came out of nowhere to do the right thing. The other 5 were all kinda expected.

Archived