US Politics: One No Trump

Fragile Bird

In a political climate where death threats are the norm and Republicans claim they prostrate themselves to Trump for fear for their lives, Ted Cruz throws his own daughters right into the middle of that to save himself.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

So the primary wars are on!  Nevada is gearing up to contest Iowa and New Hampshire's status as the first contests on the schedule.  Leading the charge?  Old friend and dear leader Harry Reid:

My favorite part is this response:

New Hampshire:  First primary or die!!!

Does this mean we’ll see the first 2024 primary in a few weeks as the states competing keep setting their primary earlier and earlier?

25 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Ted Cruz, he of the ugly wife and spoiled daughters, son of an assassin-  if we are to believe his own words and those of others he leaves unchallenged

Trust a man born with the glorious name Rafael who goes by Ted at your own risk.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

It's amazing how the wind turbines run through our sub zero weather up north without a problem.

Yeah, wind is big here in Michigan too (when you drive into the 'country' south of where I live, you can see them cancer causing windmills as far as the eye can see). Our pipes etc. are also not prone to freezing, its just part of the thinking around here. Although the freeze-thaw cycles do a number on the roads, and no one has figured out how to make them last. However, nearly every place has some design gap that doesnt address the unexpected or rare event.

In my town, it was a 300 year flood in the 80s that caused everyone's basements to flood, leading to regulation that asked for sump pumps for newly constructed houses. We then had a couple more floods (one from rain, another from a dam break). so I imagine some of the new houses did better. The next design phase in Texas hopefully will take into account the effects of climate change.

Toronto has flood plains because of Hurricane Hazel. 

Rich, middle or poor, there are scumbags to be found. I guess we will ignore the vaccinations in Africa. Some people pretend to be philanthropic, some actually are. Bill Gates was influenced by Melinda Gates. He grew up! He looks much happier, in spite of the smearing. If I were god/ emperor, I would raise the freaking taxes. I would also never be elected. Black and white thinking is only better than chaos. Ask Arya!

Cruz(as I hang my head in shame) was born in Canada. 

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Does this mean we’ll see the first 2024 primary in a few weeks as the states competing keep setting their primary earlier and earlier?

That's obviously the concern, and as the article notes both IA and NH have state laws that mandate their contests are first.  The only way for the national committees to try to control this is to take away (or threaten to take away) states' delegates, which we saw the DNC do to Florida and Michigan in 2008.  At the time I suspected things to snowball just as you're suggesting, but luckily that did not come to fruition at all over the next three cycles.  Maybe it was the 8 year cooling off period with no competition among Dems in 2012, who knows.

I guess a compromise I'd propose is for the four early states we already basically have now as the status quo - IA, NH, NV, and SC - to have their contests take place concurrently.  That would grant some rudimentary racial and regional balance.

So Ted Cruz's wife send out text messages to friends suggesting they join them in Cancun.

Text messages sent from Ms. Cruz to friends and Houston neighbors on Wednesday revealed a hastily planned trip. Their house was “FREEZING,” as Ms. Cruz put it — and she proposed a getaway until Sunday. Ms. Cruz invited others to join them at the Ritz-Carlton in Cancún, where they had stayed “many times,” noting the room price this week ($309 per night) and its good security. The text messages were provided to The New York Times and confirmed by a second person on the thread, who declined to be identified because of the private nature of the texts.

41 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And he threw his kids under the bus as an excuse. 

You seem to be really enamored with the idea of Cruz throwing his children under the bus, but no, he didn’t, he merely used them as an excuse.

The under-the-bus throwing was done by the “friends” and neighbors who passed on his wife’s text messages to the NYT! With friends like that, who needs enemies?

23 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

I'm still laughing at lying Ted for trying to throw his daughters under the bus.

It gets even worse. He also abandoned this cute dog to freeze alone at home.

Ted Cruz LEFT BEHIND family poodle named Snowflake when he fled Texas

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/ted-cruz-left-behind-family-poodle-named-snowflake-when-he-fled-texas/ar-BB1dOLvy

Ted Cruz and his family left their poodle Snowflake behind when they jetted off to Mexico, it has emerged, with the dog remaining in the unheated Houston house as the Cruzes sunned themselves.

Cruz said his home lost power at around 6pm on Tuesday night.

'It got cold, in the 30s in the house,' he told Sean Hannity's Fox News show on Thursday night, having returned that afternoon, chastened, following an outcry. 

'It stayed without power for two days.' 

15 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Don't hate on the public transportation of Cancun. I blacked out there while on Spring Break freshman year and they got me home. 

Not hating on it. Like I said, judging by how it easy it was for Teddy boy to throw his daughters under the bus there, it must be working smoothly.

4 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Ted Cruz LEFT BEHIND family poodle named Snowflake when he fled Texas

I know this should really not be the information to take from that. But can we take a moment to appreciate the irony of the dog's name being Snowflake for a minute. I mean this 4d levels of irony.

There's the obvious level of the cruelty of leaving Snowflake behind in a blizzard.

One of the biggest Snowflakes in US politics, who is so often crying about the mean liberal media named his dog Snowflake; or was it Heidi's and the girls' sense of humour to show their utter disrespect for him: Good boy, snowflake. No, not you Ted.

And of course, Snowflake happens to be a poodle. The poodle of Trump's poodle.

I could probably go on, that poodles are sometimes called clown dogs.

Eh, poodles are cool. They can't help they're often getting shitty haircuts.

I know there are people freezing and dying, but somehow the fact they even leave their own dog not just in the cold, but mostly alone, drives home how truly awful they are. Some of this constituents badly need a shelter, but won't go becuse they couldn't take their pets (in most shelters).

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

Eh, poodles are cool. They can't help they're often getting shitty haircuts.

My mom had a small, old poodle when I was born. It had lost all its teeth, but it would bite me as I'd crawl around a few years later. 

Fuck poodles. They're assholes. 

There are more and more interesting impacts coming out of the Texas grid failure.

Right now there’s a serious chip shortage affecting manufacturing across the US. Texas is a center for the chip making plants. They have been ordered to shut down so that there’s power for other customers. That impacts the car manufacturers. Ford already slowed down production of their best seller, the F-150, because of the chip shortage. And even when they are allowed to start production, the chip plants won’t be able to just flip a switch, they’ll have to ramp up.

Shutdown orders presumably went out to most, if not all, manufacturers in Texas.

Infrastructure in power plants as been damaged by the freeze, and will be further damaged by the thaw. That will have to be repaired. The question is how much can be done to repair AND winterize before next winter? This was a very unusual event, but that doesn’t mean it won’t happen again next winter. Mother Nature can be nasty that way. There was a small city here in Ontario that had a “100-year flood” one year and then had another “100-year flood” two years later.

Archived