BIRDS -- even more bird mafia discussion

Xray the Enforcer

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Roadrunner Blocked by U.S. Border Wall Wins Best Bird Photo of 2021

https://petapixel.com/2021/09/01/roadrunner-blocked-by-u-s-border-wall-wins-best-bird-photo-of-2021/

The photos on that site are just amazing.  Really enjoyed them - thanks for the link!

• 1 month later...

Friends of mine had dinner at her sister’s house a few weeks ago. They have a house in a swanky district that’s at the top of a hill that overlooks a river that flows down to Lake Ontario. Lots of trees, lots of wildlife, and both sides of the river are parkland.

Dinner was outside, under the trees in the backyard. A lovely evening, with squirrels chirping in the trees arguing with each other. Then down comes a peregrine falcon, flying under the tree canopy, and it plucks the nearest squirrel right off the tree branch in front of them. They could hear it squealing as the falcon headed back up into the sky. 

They said the speed and the smoothness of it all was just stunning.

• 1 month later...

I have often stalked and photographed from increasingly close distances sprinkler heads, trimmed-off limbs in trees, and other non-birds in addition to taking many shots of bird anuses, bird feet on the edge of the picture, and excellent, crisp studies of leaves.

So when I found the FB group "Crap bird photography", my wife and I spent a hearty fifteen minutes laughing at the similar misfortunes of others.  Enjoy!

Crap bird photography | Facebook

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wanted to tell you that my cousin by marriage was a bird photographer who was knighted for his work as an aerial journalist in W.W. II. He was also quite an explorer organizing  polar expeditions. Check out Hubert Wilkins, if curious. He was an Australian Indiana Jones, but was a birder.

• 1 month later...

This is just to announce that I saw a Worm-eating Warbler, so I am feeling quite accomplished today.  My daughter spotted it as we walked around the Japanese Friendship Garden, which is right downtown in Phoenix above the Deck Park Tunnel.  Usually they appear out in riparian areas near one of the lakes, so we had no idea what we were seeing as we followed it around.

A week or so later my daughter identified it, so I updated by eBird checklist.  This immediately summoned the Official eBird Love Letter of Query, so I posted some mobile phone pics of it, which were lousy but just sufficient to prove we weren't liars.  Hooray for life birds!

Worm-eating Warbler - eBird

• 4 weeks later...

With the northern migration in full swing, we expect to see lots of interesting birds this time of year.

However, on this morning's walk we hit the jackpot, with a Townsend's Warbler and a pair of Hermit Warblers in the same tree.  Given that the males of both a black, yellow and white, I thought I was having a visual problem until my daughter confirmed that both species had posted up right next to each other.

Arizona has a wide variety of problems, but scenery and wildlife can still amaze and enthrall me.

I’m having a bit of a mixed spring. I still haven’t seen any hirundines, and only saw my first Reed Warbler and Willow Warbler yesterday. This has been made up for with two lifers on the same bit of wasteland in the badlands of south Reading: a Glossy Ibis and my new favourite bird, a Black-winged Stilt.

I'm near St Louis and just had my first hummingbird approach my feeder I'd recently put out. Having not heard the pleasant buzz of a bird three feet from my head in a few months, I nearly collapsed off of my balcony chair. Hopefully he comes back, I'd like to assure him I'm quite friendly once I don't leap out of my seat at the merest sound of a 3 gram bird.

On 4/25/2022 at 5:44 AM, Hereward said:

I’m having a bit of a mixed spring. I still haven’t seen any hirundines, and only saw my first Reed Warbler and Willow Warbler yesterday. This has been made up for with two lifers on the same bit of wasteland in the badlands of south Reading: a Glossy Ibis and my new favourite bird, a Black-winged Stilt.

congratulations on the lifers!!! We have a species in that genus in North America -- the Black-necked Stilt and they are so much fun! Glossy Ibis -- long-faced swamp chickens -- are also a quality bird

Archived