Joss Whedon: So Cancelled His Thread Got a Sequel

Poobah

Yeah, low-key suggesting Snyder may be pulling the strings wrt Ray Fisher's allegations? Gal Gadot doesn't understand English? I'm scanning the chronological reaction on twitter and Whedon is getting almost universally fucking roasted on this article. And it isn't just from people with "associate producer" in their twitter bio.

There's just so much in it that's both gross and fucking insane. Like at one point he essentially claims he was forced to abuse his power to fuck his stars because when he was five he accidentally let a friend of his drown and that bit has barely even been noticed in the outpouring of scathe on twitter. It's so breathtakingly misjudged. 

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

I didn't read the entire article (it was indeed loooong), but yeah, the explanation that he felt he "had to" sleep with all his hot employees was...surreal, to say the least.

As I read this article, all I hear in my head is this sentiment from Jerry Seinfeld that he had on Israeli TV a few years ago: 

"These behaviours to me don't even make sense". 

33 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but as I'm reading this, it doesn't read like the author spiked the article. This was supposed to come across like some kind of mea culpa? As sympathetic?

Tone deaf (from Whedon) I think is the operative phrase.

"These behaviours to me don't even make sense". 

Hmm. Seinfeld did leverage his fame to date an 18-year old when he was about to turn 40, although that did end up as a long-term relationship so it wasn't quite in the same pattern as some of these other things. But that was a controversy in its own way, and definitely a power imbalance (though at least she didn't work for him).

11 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Tone deaf (from Whedon) I think is the operative phrase.

Certainly feels that way. After having read it, I'm not sure what the author wanted to convey. Regret? Acceptance? Dispute? A bit more polish and restructuring could have been done on this piece to improve the flow, which to me felt herky-jerky. 

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

Is this article online somewhere? Twitter wants me to make an account to zoom in on the screenshots.

I found the full text on “Vulture”.  Whedon does seem to have… some issues.  Wow.

”I had to have sex with them or I’d hate myself later…”

Wow.

13 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

Apparently Joss used the Dollhouse as a starting point to do some fantasy sex with a female pick up artist and I hate that I know that and now you do

Kalenfreude.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I will say though, the story about the kid who died in the pond is pretty heartbreaking. 

It is, but it's also bizarre how Whedon kind of makes that tragedy about him.

The whole thing is strange.

Archived