Joss Whedon: So Cancelled His Thread Got a Sequel

Poobah

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

It is, but it's also bizarre how Whedon kind of makes that tragedy about him.

The whole thing is strange.

Yeah and also that story only seems to be there as part of an attempt to blame his inability to  control himself on childhood trauma. 

31 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah and also that story only seems to be there as part of an attempt to blame his inability to  control himself on childhood trauma. 

Clearly, he's angling to helm one of the next Sopranos projects.

Look, guys, it's really quite simple. Joss was traumatised by possibly being involved with the death of a kid. His parents were neglectful drunks and his brothers were bullies. He was lonely in school and nobody understood him. Attractive younger women threw themselves at him and he literally couldn't refuse. Ray Fisher and Zack Snyder, mediocre talents that they are, are out to get him, and Gal Gadot doesn't speak English. Former colleagues are misremembering things or telling stories that Joss can't recall but it doesn't sound like him. Why would he do those things? ETA - oh yeah, and he was just much too busy to get therapy until his career crashed.

But the important thing is, he's admitted he could have been a better husband. Now can we move on?

The childhood friend accidentally drowning seems like what must have been a genuine trauma that was processed correctly at the time (he was five, not his fault) and now clumsily leveraged, either by the journalist or by Whedon himself, into part of a broader tale of neglectful parents. But the one thing has little to do with the other, this could happen to anybody, neglectful parents or not, and less to do with how you go on to behave as an adult.

I have friends who used to hero-worship this guy in an unhealthy way.

Amazing how someone could talk about feminism so much and then turn out to be the ultimate misogynist.

He's clearly got a screw loose.

17 minutes ago, Darryk said:

I have friends who used to hero-worship this guy in an unhealthy way.

Amazing how someone could talk about feminism so much and then turn out to be the ultimate misogynist.

He's clearly got a screw loose.

That was also an interesting feature of the article.  He seems to have lapped up the obsessive hero worship when it was being offered.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That was also an interesting feature of the article.  He seems to have lapped up the obsessive hero worship when it was being offered.

He clearly wanted the article and it's author to give him absolution for who he was. I was struck by the idea he couldn't relax enough to talk until his current wife was about...

He can go away now...

14 minutes ago, Raja said:

News at 11, men are bad news bears.

Yeah, sorry. That's not "men". I've heard of plenty of men who had younger girlfriends. Not, "27 years younger" but they're both adults and the relationship is consensual, so why not. I've also heard of men who were secretly in simultaneous romantic relationships. That's hardly rare.

What I've never heard of is the would-be Cassanova setting up a play date between his two girlfriends where one or both of them will discover "they have something interesting in common".  That's some next level mind fuckery right there.

It's classic abuser behavior and profile, all the way down the hole he doesn't stop digging, even now, after the public implosion of his false front.  For the abuser, it's always the fault of someone else and s/he's the victimized one.

Quite a few of those who, back in the day, when JW's behaviors were first getting suspicioned and / or aired in the media are now among his harshest critics. They even declared his wife's letter was some kind of bs, revenge of jilted wife, whatever -- whereas even in that Vulture interview, which, I guess? he thought would start his reputation's rehabilitation? he even says he cheated on his wife -- with the young adult female actors that he couldn't help cheating with because otherwise he'd feel bad -- on his shows she said he did.  What do you all think made these true blue until the end deniers suddenly just start writing as if they always knew he was a bad actor?

Maybe some of them always did. You don't shit where you eat. Plus there are a lot of creeps in the whole nerd culture CBM media ecosystem. Devin Faraci hasn't commented on this at all (I wonder why), but he did think it was a good idea to tweet some random shitpost about Zack Snyder creating his own cryptocurrency or something.

Screenrant has been covering it. Little to no commentary from Collider, /film, etc.

This sudden wokeness re JW has shown up a whole lot too among the biggest fans -- who aren't media people or critics or television-film professionals -- but who were NOT going to put from anybody any criticism of JW or even a suggestion that he was a wife cheater, much less a serial, habitual abuser in the work place. They've never said either, "Oooop, I was wrong, I apologize for yelling, threatening and calling names for suggesting that he was, despite what his wife and the other women said,"

I don't know about "wokeness", but I think the fact that he damned himself in his own words had something to do with it, even if he maintained innocence on certain things. Some of his fans are probably still processing it. For others, I'm sure its the simple fact that he made a bunch of stuff they love. I know that Buffy and Firefly made a big impact for a lot of people. I haven't seen a single episode so I don't know.

I liked Serenity though. I saw that in the theater when it came out. He's also the guy who delivered Avengers, which is held up as an exemplar of a good CBM. I haven't seen that in a while but I remember being quite relieved that it wasn't "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen". I still think it's excellent. 

As far as apologies go, it's a policy of, "never explain; never complain". I'm sure Kai Cole is owed apologies from several people she will never get. Not just from the fandom or the nerd press; I'm sure that open letter probably wrecked a few personal relationships.

Archived