Why would Barristan Selmy need to be pardoned?

I've known Barristan's story well enough over the years and am near the end of a Storm of Swords where Jaime is looking at the White Book and reading over Barristan's page.  It notes his deeds and that he was wounded fighting beside his Sword Brothers and Prince Rhaegar and the next sentence says "pardoned".  So, for some reason it just clicked now that it seems strange and incorrect that he would need to be pardoned by the new king.  He would need to perhaps swear fealty, but he fought for the lawful king against a rebellion, he did his sword duty and nearly died for it.  The fact that  Robert won and had Selmy healed and restored is a good gesture for his honour, but why would he need a pardon?  Maybe it's just my understanding of the word, but it seems incorrectly used for anyone who fought against a rebellion.

In the Blackfyre rebellion, the lords who fought with the Blackfyre's were exiled (or went into exile) after defeat, but they were rebels so it makes sense.  Anyone in that case who fought honourably and then bent the knee could be pardoned.  Curious what others think or if I'm missing something else?

On 2/16/2021 at 3:00 AM, Mad King Bolton said:

I've known Barristan's story well enough over the years and am near the end of a Storm of Swords where Jaime is looking at the White Book and reading over Barristan's page.  It notes his deeds and that he was wounded fighting beside his Sword Brothers and Prince Rhaegar and the next sentence says "pardoned".  So, for some reason it just clicked now that it seems strange and incorrect that he would need to be pardoned by the new king.  He would need to perhaps swear fealty, but he fought for the lawful king against a rebellion, he did his sword duty and nearly died for it.  The fact that  Robert won and had Selmy healed and restored is a good gesture for his honour, but why would he need a pardon?  Maybe it's just my understanding of the word, but it seems incorrectly used for anyone who fought against a rebellion.

In the Blackfyre rebellion, the lords who fought with the Blackfyre's were exiled (or went into exile) after defeat, but they were rebels so it makes sense.  Anyone in that case who fought honourably and then bent the knee could be pardoned.  Curious what others think or if I'm missing something else?

Your life for his is the pledge of the Kingsguard , The Kingsguard  must die for their king . Not only Barrie but also Jaime had to be pardoned .

I'm farther in the book now and after Barristan grovelling for forgiveness Dany, I can see how guilty he felt that he accepted Robert's reinstatement. My understanding was that Barristan was grievously wounded (as in lying unconsiously and dying) but captured and mended for fighting valiantly. Offered pardon (I still think that's horseshit at least from a duty point of view since no crime was committed but acceptable from a changing sides point of view as he didn't fight with Robert.  

If you thought you had died in battle and awoke to find your side had lost and those you served had died. Then found out that you had been tended to and offered to live and serve an honourable victor, I don't see the shame in that.  Choosing to die after the fact would not contain shame though I'm not in his position or point of view, so clearly he was conflicted by it.  To compare Barristan Selmy to Jaime Lannister is far from the same thing.  Barristan failed to die for his king but was defeated unto death on the battlefield whereas Jaime murdered the king by his own hand.  

Anyway, of course feel free to say your last bit, I'm withdrawing.  Barristan clearly seeks forgiveness from Dany for the life given back to him and accepted by Robert and whether I Agree or not, feels guilty.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2021 at 12:43 AM, Mad King Bolton said:

I'm farther in the book now and after Barristan grovelling for forgiveness Dany, I can see how guilty he felt that he accepted Robert's reinstatement. My understanding was that Barristan was grievously wounded (as in lying unconsiously and dying) but captured and mended for fighting valiantly. Offered pardon (I still think that's horseshit at least from a duty point of view since no crime was committed but acceptable from a changing sides point of view as he didn't fight with Robert.  

If you thought you had died in battle and awoke to find your side had lost and those you served had died. Then found out that you had been tended to and offered to live and serve an honourable victor, I don't see the shame in that.  Choosing to die after the fact would not contain shame though I'm not in his position or point of view, so clearly he was conflicted by it.  To compare Barristan Selmy to Jaime Lannister is far from the same thing.  Barristan failed to die for his king but was defeated unto death on the battlefield whereas Jaime murdered the king by his own hand.  

Anyway, of course feel free to say your last bit, I'm withdrawing.  Barristan clearly seeks forgiveness from Dany for the life given back to him and accepted by Robert and whether I Agree or not, feels guilty.

I think the issue here is that not everybody Barristan was sworn to serve was dead. Viserys and Daenerys were still alive (if not necessarily well) in Essos. If Viserys had a strong chivalrous male role model like Barristan to look up to and learn from, then mayhaps he wouldn't have gotten his head melted in while being such a shitface that his own sister barely batted an eye when it happened. Barristan accepting Robert's pardon and not begging leave to go protect the remaining Targaryens he was sworn to defend with his own life, was what Barristan felt guilt over. He was in a bad position. I don't think there was a right or wrong answer. But, I think it's something he'll have to wonder about until the day he dies.

Archived