Mr Gordo

Baen Books Forum Being Used to Advocate for Political Violence

4 minutes ago, Mr Gordo said:

That is putting it mildly. Dude is flat out bonkers insane crazy pants.

Wonder if the FBI will pick him up.

On hey someone you like is terrible news Jon Scaffer, of Iced Earth, was one of the people that stormed the capitol, resulting in Iced Earth breaking up and the half of Demons and Wizards that was the Blind Guardian guy whose name I'm not going to try and spell right now cutting all ties with him and pretty much telling him to fuck off, though that guy is German so he probably has, you know, littler tolerance for actual Nazis.

Fun times.

What’s “iced earth”?

14 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What’s “iced earth”?

Context tells me a heavy metal band.

53 minutes ago, Mr Gordo said:

On hey someone you like is terrible news Jon Scaffer, of Iced Earth, was one of the people that stormed the capitol, resulting in Iced Earth breaking up and the half of Demons and Wizards that was the Blind Guardian guy whose name I'm not going to try and spell right now cutting all ties with him and pretty much telling him to fuck off, though that guy is German so he probably has, you know, littler tolerance for actual Nazis.

Fun times.

Wait...You didn't know Schaffer was a complete racist CHUD? He's been actively awful for awhile. But also I know how it feels when you find surprise Nazis in bands you like, so my condolences. 

Edited by Xray the Enforcer

I knew he was a 9/11 truther(UGH DO NOT GET ME STARTED) and a conspiracy nut but I didn't know he was a full blown Nazi. To be fair I haven't paid much attention to Iced Earth since like 2004 and he only came back in my radar when Demons and Wizards released their 3rd album(which, heh, has a song about Sanderson's Stormlight Archive on it). Much much  more of a Blind Guardian guy, so it was at least relieving when he denounced Schaffer right away.

2 hours ago, Mr Gordo said:

You're thinking of Jon Schaffer, and the lead singer of Blind Guardian, Hansi Kürsch.

1 hour ago, Mr Gordo said:

Much much  more of a Blind Guardian guy, so it was at least relieving when he denounced Schaffer right away.

Blind Guardian also kicks incredible ass live. 

For those unfamiliar with the band, they are such glorious fantasy fans that they released an entire album dedicated to and about The Silmarillion ("Nightfall in Middle-earth"). And it slaps like nothing else on Earth. Between a song dedicated to the Iron Hill ("Time Stands Still (At the Iron Hill"), the Battle of Sudden Flames ("Battle of Sudden Flames"), and a lament of sorts to the Noldor ("Noldor (Dead Winter Reigns"), there's just so much to like. Especially the tracks "Nightfall" and "A Dark Passage". 

They have songs dedicated to The Wheel of Time ("The Wheel of Time"), the Elric Saga ("Tanelorn (Into the Void", "The Quest for Tanelorn"), Homer's Illiad ("And Then There Was Silence"), Arthurian myth ("Mordred's Song") and even Dragonlance ("The Soulforged"). They've even written music for gaming - having composed the song 'Sacred Worlds' for the game Sacred 2.

The lead singer, Hansi Kürsch, has been jokingly referred to as the Freddie Mercury of power metal for a reason - the guy's vocal range is amazing and oh man can he belt out a song like few other than Mercury could! The dude can *sing*!

Oh yeah I saw Blind Guardian live in   2002? Holy shit I'm old.

And yeah they are giant nerds, they also have songs about Death Gate, OtherLand, It, The Dark Tower(Demons and Wizards has a whole Dark Tower album), oh, other things I'm forgetting. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Gordo said:

Oh yeah I saw Blind Guardian live in   2002? Holy shit I'm old.

And yeah they are giant nerds, they also have songs about Death Gate, OtherLand, It, The Dark Tower(Demons and Wizards has a whole Dark Tower album), oh, other things I'm forgetting. 

And a Beach Boys cover that is absolutely glorious. 

http://file770.com/pixel-scroll-2-21-21-he-was-born-with-a-gift-for-pixels-and-a-sense-that-the-world-was-scrolled/

"Sanford also updated an endnote to his Patreon article “Baen Books Forum Being Used to Advocate for Political Violence” with information provided by Mercedes Lackey."

https://www.patreon.com/posts/baen-books-forum-47582408"

[Note 7] According to the explanation in the list of banned Baen’s Bar topics, Mercedes Lackey posted a long rant on the forum about her distaste for Baen Books and Jim Baen personally, along with mentioning how she had been persecuted for being of a particular political bent. While it appears Lackey left the forum after that, Jim Baen “asked that the incident be stricken from discussion.”

Update: Mercedes Lackey reached out to me to say that the information shared on Baen's Bar about why she left was simply not true. She says she left the forum after 9/11 when forum users were posting freely about murdering all Muslims. Lackey strongly attacked these posts in a long post on Baen's Bar, but her post was heavily criticized by Tom Kratman and specifically John Ringo and Ringo's followers. However, Lackey's post and reasons for leaving said nothing about Jim Baen nor about Baen Books. She also says the note posted on the forum banning discussions around her leaving was written after Jim Baen passed, so he would have been unable to contradict it."

Amplification by experienced con runner as to how and why Weisskopf was disinvited, and why it was careless at best for DisConIII to have named her GOH (may or may not agree, depending on experience etc.):

http://www.kittywumpus.net/blog/2021/02/20/celebrations-and-disinvitations-more-fuel-for-the-baenfire/

"As a result, after discussion with her, we have notified Toni Weisskopf we are removing her as a Guest of Honor for DisCon III." ....

"...when you are a leader, whether you like it or not, you are responsible for what is happening under your leadership, whether you’re aware of it or not, because that’s part of the role. Weisskopf is not an employee of the company. She doesn’t just run it, but is one of its owners and profits from what it chooses to do. And that’s part of the choice....

Edited by Zorral