The names of the Seven

I once caused comments by getting a name wrong and writing "the Artisan" for the Smith. But about halfway through "A Feast for Crows", p407 UK paperback version, chapter "Brienne V", the wandering septon Meribald (who always walked barefoot, obeying a vow made as a religious penance), thanked "the Cobbler Above" for making the skin of his feet as hard as leather. When queried, that there was no god with that name, he answered "There is, lad ... though you may call him by another name", and explained, saying that the Smith may as well have been named as the Farmer or the Fisherman or the Carpenter or the Cobbler ... "What he works at makes no matter ... Just as the Smith is one aspect of the Godhead, the Cobbler is one aspect of the Smith.".

8 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

How about Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Bashful, Sneezy and Dopey.

Hmm... The Seven dwarfs from Snow Wight (lol, just pun-kidding), white might be a literary inspiration for George. After all, an atheist creating Gods can have any inspiration... 

i like your noticing skills @Anthony Appleyard - i'm re-reading all the  Daenarys chapters now & she has mention of the similarities in the Dothraki gods to the aspects of the Seven ... of course I'm not able to find any quotes at this time. 
it was along the lines of:  'she prayed to the Smith & Dothraki horse lord for bravery'. 
maybe i'll be able to find it.  it wasn't the only reference.

what do you think it means though?   
are the aspects of the Seven a cumulation of all other 'religions' of Planetos or is it a sort of career training/assessment tool that got too large and out of control?

I've caught myself calling them "Andal-Europeans" before because they have a pantheon that, if you squint at it, looks sort of like an extended family unit. Just like all the Indo-European patheons in the real world (and, through contact and trade, Levantine, Afro-Asiatic, etc, but the pun doesn't work as well).

On 2/28/2021 at 4:05 PM, Yaya said:

...  'she prayed to the Smith ...  and the Dothraki horse lord for bravery'. ...

what do you think it means though?   
are the aspects of the Seven a cumulation of all other 'religions' of Planetos or is it a sort of career training/assessment tool that got too large and out of control?

She was praying to a god of one religion and also to a god of another religion, what some would call "being eclectic".

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 11:38 PM, Anthony Appleyard said:

I once caused comments by getting a name wrong and writing "the Artisan" for the Smith. But about halfway through "A Feast for Crows", p407 UK paperback version, chapter "Brienne V", the wandering septon Meribald (who always walked barefoot, obeying a vow made as a religious penance), thanked "the Cobbler Above" for making the skin of his feet as hard as leather. When queried, that there was no god with that name, he answered "There is, lad ... though you may call him by another name", and explained, saying that the Smith may as well have been named as the Farmer or the Fisherman or the Carpenter or the Cobbler ... "What he works at makes no matter ... Just as the Smith is one aspect of the Godhead, the Cobbler is one aspect of the Smith.".

Interesting, I did wonder why Smiths alone were represented in the gods, and this makes more sense. 

I wonder if the most Westeros are aware of this distinction or if smiths are unbearably self righteous to their fishmonger and farmer friends because they think their profession alone is represented by the gods. 

Archived