Watch, Watched, Watching: Three Monkeys Edition

Ran

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

Also... HBO Max in the US has a chunk of the Criterion Collection? I had no idea. No wonder people have been going on at it having on the best catalogs among the streamers.

Yep. They’re in the Turner Classic Movies section. Bunch of good stuff (Kurosawa, Bergman, Fellini, etc). 

Just now, Nictarion said:

Yep. They’re in the Turner Classic Movies section. Bunch of good stuff (Kurosawa, Bergman, Fellini, etc). 

Wonder how much of that they'll bring over to Sweden when they launch here later this year.

1 hour ago, 3CityApache said:

@Nictarion How can one know nothing about Picnic at Hanging Rock as of 2021? I thought there was even louder buzz about it among Weir's movies than Dead Poets Society.

Just flew under my radar somehow. :dunno:

46 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

Watched Picnic at hanging rock at a film festival. The atmosphere was interesting. The story was sort of boring. We use it as short form for long seeming, arty movie, not devoid of merit, but...

I liked it well enough. Pretty eerie and unsettling stuff. Took an even darker turn towards the end than I was expecting, too. 

I thought Sarah was supposed to have committed suicide at first, but I guess it’s implied Mrs. Appleyard killed her?

Mortal Kombat! I didn't intend to get it this early, but I guess I'm getting HBO Max in April now. I wanted to see Judas and the Black Messiah anyway. 

Just been binging Lost on Hulu, which I've already seen, since I can't settle on anything since the Expanse ended. Looking forward to Snowfall season 4 in a couple weeks.

4 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Mortal Kombat! I didn't intend to get it this early, but I guess I'm getting HBO Max in April now. I wanted to see Judas and the Black Messiah anyway. 

Just been binging Lost on Hulu, which I've already seen, since I can't settle on anything since the Expanse ended. Looking forward to Snowfall season 4 in a couple weeks.

Judas and the Black Messiah is only streaming through March 14th. 

31 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

The lack of a trailer does not breed optimism. 

I watched The Mole Agent (original title: El agente topo), a Chilean documentary-drama about an old widower being hired to investigate conditions in a retirement home. It's a bit voyeurisitic and unsettling, in a way, given the fact that there's clearly a fictional conceit and a writing credit for the director while the subjects (a group of old women in various stages of dementia) are probably not really aware of it (they just think the cameras are following Sergio, the "mole", because he's a new arrival at the facility rather than knowing he was "spying"), but fortunately it's very gentle and sweet, and truth be told the retirement home seemed like a nice place.

It's on the shortlist for Best International Film and Documentary Feature at the Oscars this year, though I suspect it won't make the final list for either due to its blending of documentary and drama.

2 hours ago, Vaughn said:

Anyone watch and recommend 'For All Mankind' the Ron Moore Apple TV show?

Yes. Watched it last year, and probably one of my favourite shows of the past twelve months. It's basically 'what if' the space race didn't end at the moon in the seventies.

Episode 1 is pretty dry - a lot of blokes doing sciencey things at mission control, etc. But from episode two they start digging into the characters, then keep on digging over the course of the season until magnificently paying off all that character development in the final couple of episodes.

Highly, highly recommended.

ETA: Just seen that Season 2 begins tomorrow. Can't wait!

7 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Someone presumably got paid to write the line of dialogue: "It's a birthmark. That means he was born with it."

At least my favorite character from the series looks kind of cool in the trailer? 

Ugh. I'll just point to my comment up page:

On 2/17/2021 at 10:55 AM, Tywin et al. said:

The lack of a trailer does not breed optimism. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

At least my favorite character from the series looks kind of cool in the trailer? 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Still recovering from how bad Goro looked in that second I saw him. Who am I kidding though, I'm still going to watch it. I did not learn after making the mistake of watching the 2nd movie.

Archived