Watch, Watched, Watching: Three Monkeys Edition

Ran

Gosh I remember watching both Mortal Kombat movies in the theaters as a kid. You'd have to pay me a 100 bucks to watch those movies again. I remember almost laughing at the visuals of the Animality scenes in the second movie. It was like clay animation from the old Clash of the Titans movie.. except Clash of the Titans was better. Anyways.. this version didn't interest me so much as that 2 minute fan film they did a few years ago. 

6 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Still recovering from how bad Goro looked in that second I saw him. Who am I kidding though, I'm still going to watch it. I did not learn after making the mistake of watching the 2nd movie.

Looks terrible. 

Did you catch Reptile in it?

On 2/18/2021 at 9:29 AM, TheLastWolf said:

8 1/2

Reveal hidden contents

W. O. W

:bowdown: 

My favorite International (read: non us/uk/aus/eng speaking) filmmakers... 

In no particular order, mind you 

Ingmar Bergman 

Akiro Kurasawa

Satyajit Ray

Vittorio De Sica

Fedderico Fellini

Abbas Kuroistami

Jean-Luc Goddard 

Jean Renoir

Sergio Leone (i daresay) 

Roman Polanski

Werner Herzog

Pedro Almodovar

Alfonso Cuaron 

Alejandro González Innaritu

Guillermo Del Toro 

Boong Jon Hoo

Majid Majidi

David Lean 

LJP

Mani Ratnam 

Anybody else worth mentioning? 

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Damn, this looks.....bad.

Depends on where you're coming from. As one who paid cash money to watch the original in cinema back in '95 (the experience was never anything to openly admit), this looks pretty damn good. Except for Goro, who still looks shit.

I'd watch it just for Hiroyuki Sanada as Scorpion and Joe Taslim as Sub Zero.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Had too look for it, missed it the first time. Hahah. Yeah, they probably should have done a movie about the rivalry of Sub Zero and Scorpion instead.

They released the animated movie, Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge last year which was basically this. It was pretty entertaining, but be warned, there's a shit-ton of gore.

20 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

David Lean

Huh? Anyway your list could do with a more French directors. Luc Besson.

8 hours ago, ithanos said:

Huh? 

David Lean's films take place in global scenarios. Asia, Africa, Europe maybe even Americas, if I've missed it. International enough by my standards. 

8 hours ago, ithanos said:

Anyway your list could do with a more French directors. Luc Besson.

Ok. Are you French by any chance? If so, Pardonnez mes péchés monsieur ou madame 

Jean Renoir

Luc Besson 

Jean-Luc Goddard 

Francois Truffaut

Jean Cocteau

Jacques Rivette 

"      Audiard 

9 hours ago, ithanos said:

Depends on where you're coming from. As one who paid cash money to watch the original in cinema back in '95 (the experience was never anything to openly admit), this looks pretty damn good. Except for Goro, who still looks shit.

I'd watch it just for Hiroyuki Sanada as Scorpion and Joe Taslim as Sub Zero.

I loved the movie as a kid. Rewatching it as an adult though...woof.

Scorpion was always my go to player, so I did like what I saw there, but still...

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I loved the movie as a kid. Rewatching it as an adult though...woof.

Scorpion was always my go to player, so I did like what I saw there, but still...

My go to was which ever one I could remember the finishing move on! Usually sub zero, scorpion or Raiden(?)

11 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Krzysztof Kieślowski,

Michael Haneke,

Wim Wenders,

Thomas Vinterberg,

Lars Von Trier,

Milos Forman,

Xavier Dolan,

Giuseppe Tornatore,

Lasse Halstroem,

I could go on like that.

Some names I'd add: Wong Kar-wai, Alfred Hitchcock, Andrei Tarkovsky, Robert Bresson, Michelangelo Antonioni, Jacques Tati, Carl Theodor Dreyer, Bernardo Bertolucci, Kenji Mizoguchi, Yasujirô Ozu, Zhang Yimou, Ken Loach, 

16 minutes ago, dbunting said:

My go to was which ever one I could remember the finishing move on! Usually sub zero, scorpion or Raiden(?)

Rain and Noob Saibot were the easiest when I played the game as a kid, but Scorpion's fatalities were the best. And the version I played most was I believe MK2 on a Gameboy, and special moves didn't work on Goro, Shang Tsung and Shao Kahn, so you just had to pick the ninjas that could jump a little bit higher, get over them, kick them in the back and bounce away.  

7 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

David Lean's films take place in global scenarios. Asia, Africa, Europe maybe even Americas, if I've missed it. International enough by my standards. 

Ok. Are you French by any chance? If so, Pardonnez mes péchés monsieur ou madame 

Jean Renoir

Luc Besson 

Jean-Luc Goddard 

Francois Truffaut

Jean Cocteau

Jacques Rivette 

"      Audiard 

Not French but I thought on balance their cinema history is as strong as any other.

Agree about David Lean. His classics should be compulsory international viewing.

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Besson should be off all lists except the sex offenders register.

Didn't know that, had to look it up. Dammit, will have to be mindful of great movies made by shit people.

18 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

In no particular order, mind you 

Ingmar Bergman 

Akiro Kurasawa

Satyajit Ray

Vittorio De Sica

Fedderico Fellini

Abbas Kuroistami

Jean-Luc Goddard 

Jean Renoir

Sergio Leone (i daresay) 

Roman Polanski

Werner Herzog

Pedro Almodovar

Alfonso Cuaron 

Alejandro González Innaritu

Guillermo Del Toro 

Boong Jon Hoo

Majid Majidi

David Lean 

LJP

Mani Ratnam 

Among many others, here's this Polish director, Jerzy Hoffman.  If you watch his trilogy of 17th Century Poland, adapted from the Nobel Prize for Literature winner author, Henryk Adam Aleksander Pius Sienkiewicz, you will see how much both Tolkien got from the novels, I think -- due to him living among the many displaced Catholic Polish intellectuals in England for a long time,  and Jackson got from these films

Also, particularly lately. there are brilliant Africans doing great work, which I've fallen down on seeing due to pandemic.

10 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Didn’t Besson create Leon originally as a flat out romance between a grown man and a child? Didn’t I hear that ?

There's claims that the original draft was like that, but I've never seen it confirmed that the script that circulated was actually real. It's also alleged that Portman's parents forced Besson to drop it, and , I think that part is definitely BS.

From what was actually filmed, there was a scene where Mathilda asked Léon to become her lover, but his feelings towards her are not sexual in the film (at least not at that point when cameras started rolling) and he rejects the advance. It was cut because audiences didn't like it, but it may have been restored for the European/international cut at some point. Strangely, I've never seen the film here in Sweden.

11 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Krzysztof Kieślowski,

Michael Haneke,

Wim Wenders,

Thomas Vinterberg,

Lars Von Trier,

Milos Forman,

Xavier Dolan,

Giuseppe Tornatore,

Lasse Halstroem,

Gee, thanks. I can't believe how I missed the emboldened. Especially the first. 

11 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

I could go on like that

Pls do 

6 hours ago, ithanos said:

Not French but I thought on balance their cinema history is as strong as any other.

Fair 

6 hours ago, ithanos said:

Agree about David Lean. His classics should be compulsory international viewing

Hell Yeah 

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

Among many others, here's this Polish director, Jerzy Hoffman.  If you watch his trilogy of 17th Century Poland, adapted from the Nobel Prize for Literature winner author, Henryk Adam Aleksander Pius Sienkiewicz, you will see how much both Tolkien got from the novels, I think -- due to him living among the many displaced Catholic Polish intellectuals in England for a long time,  and Jackson got from these films

Also, particularly lately. there are brilliant Africans doing great work, which I've fallen down on seeing due to pandemic.

Roger Roger 

Checked out the first one and 1/2 episodes of Netflix-Germany's Tribes of Europa.   It stinks, it's so awfully stupid with world building and characterization, as well as derivative of every post apocalyptic tv, movie and novel from any period you have seen and read. Looks as cheap and cheesy as the script. The only good thing are views of what are forests in presumably German, Czech Republic and Croatian forests. 

Archived