Watch, Watched, Watching: Three Monkeys Edition

Ran

Just finished Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Kimmy vs the Reverend. It was great fun! I didn't watch every ending yet but I think I got like 8 or more endings. :)

I don't understand what Lillian Kaushtupper is doing though. I get the other character's lives and where they are except for her. 

Tituss Burgess seems to be the most popular actor from the show but I personally enjoyed almost everyone. Jane Krakowski is consistently funny, for example.

I'm sad that the series is over but it had a good ending.

I watched The Descendants last night, which is one of my favorite films. It was rather cathartic. Still can't believe it lost Best Picture to The Artist.

Currently trying to decide The Sopranos or Breaking Bad

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Currently trying to decide The Sopranos or Breaking Bad

Are these re watches or new?  If new I would say The Sopranos. Save Breaking bad and watch Better Caul Saul first when it's done, one more season or two at most. Then you can watch it sequentially, Better call Saul, Breaking Bad, El Camino...

If re watch then flip a coin, can't go wrong either way.

Watched Alejandro Jodorowsky's El Topo, the first "acid western", for the first time. Jodorowsky start in its as the titular character, El Topo (which means "The Mole"), traveling in a barren desert with his son, a naked boy (also actually Jodorowsky's eldest son). What they search for, what the meaning of their lives is, the adventures they end up on are all rather mysterious. It is bizarre, surreal, psychedelia-inflected... and has some imagery that I don't think I'll ever get out of my head. It's impossible to describe it, you can just rattle off a bunch of incidents and characters without really penetrating it. It's about religion, sex, violence, guilt, fatherhood, and... probably also about none of those things.

I don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a Western to watch, but if you want your mind blown (Jodorowsky called it LSD without the LSD) by the sheer bizarre imagery and antics, this'll do it. Jodorowsky's been an influence on David Lynch, another director who marches to the beat of his own drummer, and Nicholas Windling Refn dedicated Only God Forgives to him.

In recent years Jodorowsky's statement that he really raped the actress Mara Lorenzo on screen led to outrage, to which he responded that he was saying shocking things back then to try and get attention for this little film from Mexico he was trying to get into the US market, and pointed out that the scene has multiple angles and takes, each requiring setups, two cameras, and at minimum a crew of 10 people who are supposed to have all been standing by as he allegedly assaulted her, paused for resets, and then resumed the assault...

But his publicity-seeking worked, after first getting a long, months-long run in a NYC theatre, and then finding fans in John Lennon and Yoko Ono who got manager Allen Klein to buy distribution rights.... but Jodorowsky's relationship to Klein is another story entirely. 

13 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Are these re watches or new?  If new I would say The Sopranos. Save Breaking bad and watch Better Caul Saul first when it's done, one more season or two at most. Then you can watch it sequentially, Better call Saul, Breaking Bad, El Camino...

If re watch then flip a coin, can't go wrong either way.

Haven't seen either really. I was listening to a podcast this morning and those two shows plus The Wire kept coming up and I realized I've really never watched any of these shows.

I tried watching The Sopranos not long ago with a friend having never really seen it before, but it felt far too dated in its production style to continue. The framing device of therapy sessions also doesn't seem remotely fresh anymore.

Breaking Bad is still amazing - you have to be able to deal with the intensity of the early season or two, along with the sometimes, um, deliberate pacing. But given how breathless so many shows are nowadays, it's fairly refreshing. I would not watch Better Call Saul first; it's very much a prequel that contextualizes what you learned before. It also features a framing device that requires knowing where "Saul" ends up at the end of Breaking Bad. So definitely, definitely, do not watch it first. 

51 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Haven't seen either really. I was listening to a podcast this morning and those two shows plus The Wire kept coming up and I realized I've really never watched any of these shows.

You should definitely give them a try. They're amazing shows.

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

You should definitely give them a try. They're amazing shows.

I know. And there are many more that I've missed too. But having spent a lot of time dreaming of just working sixty hours a week in the past, I only watched movies. Following TV shows was unrealistic. It was an incredibly happy mistake that my step-brother was home on R&R from the Army crashing on my couch that led me here. I invited him to a party, but he declined, so I put the first episode of GoT on because I thought he might like it. Neither of us knew anything about it, but he likes fantasy shit. I came back exactly midway through episode four hours after and he told me I had to see this. We binged the first season the next day.

Also, still have yet to complete the first season of Lost, but it is very good. 

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nope.

JFC, Tywin. Missing out on some quality entertainment. 

---

Started For All Mankind a week and half ago or so, got caught up it quickly. Engaging characters, interesting alt-history.  

Finished the latest episode of Resident Alien. It is actually getting better, which is great, as I was already enjoying it from episode 1. As I have said a few times before, it's good old-fashioned fun. This one will not win any prizes, but it's light and fun. I still warmly recommend it! 

57 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Fine, but seriously, Breaking Bad and The Sopranos should be No. 1 & 2 on the list.  

They're top five on most lists, along with The Wire. 

Finished the second part of the Tiger doc. The last 20 or so minutes is crazy when you consider what just happened to him.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

They're top five on most lists, along with The Wire. 

Finished the second part of the Tiger doc. The last 20 or so minutes is crazy when you consider what just happened to him.

Why are you watching exploitative, animal abuser aggrandizing crap like the tiger king if you've never even seen the sopranos or breaking bad?!  Repent.  

Apparently when watching Survivor all these years I have missed a lot of things. No idea why but I have been re watching some old seasons recently and realized that some of the winners I didn't think deserved it really did and I just missed some of what they had done or were doing. I think I get so locked in on the one player I want to win it that I dismiss what other people have done. 

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

Why are you watching exploitative, animal abuser aggrandizing crap like the tiger king if you've never even seen the sopranos or breaking bad?!  Repent.  

Pretty sure he is referring to Tiger, documentary about Tiger Woods...and what just happened to him with the car accident.

Archived