Watch, Watched, Watching: Three Monkeys Edition

Ran

3 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Pretty sure he is referring to Tiger, documentary about Tiger Woods...and what just happened to him with the car accident.

Make a reality show with Joe Exotic and Tiger Woods and print the money.

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Ah.  That's different.  I fully sanction watching of docs on Tiger Woods, LOL. Is that on Netflix now?

Just dropped on HBO a few weeks ago. First part is 90 minutes, second is a little bit longer. The former is about his rise and relationship with his father. The latter is when everything came crashing down. It's all rather sad, really.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just dropped on HBO a few weeks ago. First part is 90 minutes, second is a little bit longer. The former is about his rise and relationship with his father. The latter is when everything came crashing down. It's all rather sad, really.

I can see that, I'm one of [I think], the few people who felt sorry for him that his world totally crashed over his private, consensual sex life, and that this crack in the veneer of his perfect image seemed to have a large effect on his golf game, even when accounting for the physical issues.  

26 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I can see that, I'm one of [I think], the few people who felt sorry for him that his world totally crashed over his private, consensual sex life, and that this crack in the veneer of his perfect image seemed to have a large effect on his golf game, even when accounting for the physical issues.  

You'll want to check this one out then. 

3 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I did a Sopranos rewatch last year? and I thought it held up beautifully.  

Definitely. I'm really enjoying listening to the Talking Sopranos podcast as it adds even more depth to the episodes. 

@Ran, picking up from our prior conversation, I just finished Watchmen and it is incredible. I did not like the movie when I first saw it, but I will probably give it a second chance tonight.

As far as deciding what shows to prioritize, the same conversation that led to a copy of Watchmen being sent to me was the one that my step-brother said I have to see the second season of Rome, so I'm watching that first. And I forgot that The Knick was now on HBO, so I'll check those two out first, but then I'm going in this order: Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire and then Lost. I'll be done with that in approximately 72 years.

@Tywin et al.

Book is definitely better than the movie. The film captures some nice visuals, the opening montage is nice, Billy Crudup is excellent as Dr. Manhattan and the Watchmaker sequence is probably the highlight of the whole thing, but Snyder really doesn't understand Moore's intentions behind the work. (V for Vendetta is excellent, and also better than the film, and I'd definitely recommend giving The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen a try -- at least for the first two volumes, it starts getting a bit ... complicated with later additions -- which is miles and miles better than the film that was made from it.)

The Knick ... don't  watch it while having a meal, is my advice. It'll put you right off with some of the stuff that happens. The second season goes full-on into full-on Grand Guignol-inflected melodrama. But I enjoyed its heightend reality, and it's one of Clive Owen's best roles.

You need to add Deadwood to your list, BTW. It's that good.

Age of Samurai: Battle for Japan is a solid pop-history on Netflix, about the end of Sengoku-era Japan. It's a bit cheesy and melodramatic, but for an introduction to the period it's reasonable.

Polishing off the Netflix-MCU shows. The Punisher's second season was very solid, but I'm finding Jessica Jones' third season a bit of a soulless grind.

Netflix UK was pushing a show called Superstore very heavily, which I assumed was an original, and was surprised to find out was actually an NBC sitcom that had already run for five seasons. Highly enjoyable; the pitch seems to be The Office in Wal-Mart (Asda for those of a UK persuasion) and if it's not as good as The Office at the very top of its game, it's vastly superior to The Office at the weaker end of its range. It's extremely consistent as well. It finds its feet about only about 2-3 episodes, and then gradually increases its quality until about Season 3 and seems to have held it there so far. I spent a time working in retail so the show is extremely relatable, though the problems faced by American workers (healthcare and union-busting) seem quite nightmarish in comparison.

The only odd thing about it is that Netflix made a big song and dance about acquiring it with the final season still to air, and apparently they can't air it until 2022. It would seem to have been more logical to wait until next year before airing the whole thing, but okay.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

@Tywin et al.

Book is definitely better than the movie. The film captures some nice visuals, the opening montage is nice, Billy Crudup is excellent as Dr. Manhattan and the Watchmaker sequence is probably the highlight of the whole thing, but Snyder really doesn't understand Moore's intentions behind the work. (V for Vendetta is excellent, and also better than the film, and I'd definitely recommend giving The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen a try -- at least for the first two volumes, it starts getting a bit ... complicated with later additions -- which is miles and miles better than the film that was made from it.)

Seeing the movie without any knowledge of the source material played a huge role in me not liking it, and my GF couldn't wait to leave the theater. It may very well be the only movie I've walked out on (or was dragged out off, lol). 

LoEG actually would be interesting. I liked the often panned movie. And any say on which copy of V is best to buy? I need to purchase a few books anyways.

The Knick ... don't  watch it while having a meal, is my advice. It'll put you right off with some of the stuff that happens. The second season goes full-on into full-on Grand Guignol-inflected melodrama. But I enjoyed its heightend reality, and it's one of Clive Owen's best roles.

I've seen the first season so I know what to expect. I just figured I'd watch that one before the longer series. I assume I can be done with it and Rome before the end of March, assuming nothing changes of a day to day basis.

You need to add Deadwood to your list, BTW. It's that good.

Noted. I hear this a lot.

Justified, and Peaky Blinders, must be on the list.  So sue me but the Sopranos was not anything appealing to me, and I actively hated the therapy and dream stuff, like I always hate that stuff wherever and whenever it appears. (I first noticed this the first run-through of the volumes of Simone de Beauvoir memoirs -- she told us of her dreams in tremendous detail, going back to childhood!).

Peaky Blinders though -- Tommy Shelby, that's a really cool dude, whether evil or not.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

LoEG actually would be interesting. I liked the often panned movie.

If you try the graphic novel (there's a handy LoEG Omnibus edition collecting the first two series), Jess Nevins's annotations add so much to it. Moore and O'Neill packed so many Victorian literary and historical references on every page.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And any say on which copy of V is best to buy? I need to purchase a few books anyways.

I mean, the Absolute edition is going to be best, but it'll set you back $70 to $100 bucks or so (and is out of print, I think). I feel unless you're a collector, you should go with the standard paperback, or maybe the Deluxe edition that has some added material (sketches, an Alan Moore essay). 

And in all honesty, reading comics on a good tablet isn't bad. Amazon has V for Vendetta quite cheap for Kindle/Comixology.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

If you try the graphic novel (there's a handy LoEG Omnibus edition collecting the first two series), Jess Nevins's annotations add so much to it. Moore and O'Neill packed so many Victorian literary and historical references on every page.

I'd be game to check it out.

I mean, the Absolute edition is going to be best, but it'll set you back $70 to $100 bucks or so (and is out of print, I think). I feel unless you're a collector, you should go with the standard paperback, or maybe the Deluxe edition that has some added material (sketches, an Alan Moore essay). 

And in all honesty, reading comics on a good tablet isn't bad. Amazon has V for Vendetta quite cheap for Kindle/Comixology.

I'm not too worried about the cost so long as it delivers. I prefer to have the paper in hand though. 

12 minutes ago, briantw said:

Best TV series ending I've seen.  Much messier than Breaking Bad, which was super satisfying but just way too neat.

There's a new bluray box set, now presenting in widescreen. Hoping someone will get it for my birthday.

Archived