Watch, Watched, Watching: Three Monkeys Edition

Ran

We in the US and England are likely to be seeing much more Spanish television in the near future, specifically television produced in Spain's Galicia region.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/03/galician-noir-how-a-rainy-corner-of-spain-spawned-a-new-tv-genre

This is what $upporting one's local arts and entertainment can accomplish:

Galicia’s storytelling tradition goes hand in hand with decades of film and TV production propelled by the Galician-language regional TV channel, which served as an important driving force in the industry. The region’s large talent pool is reflected in these new productions, such as The Mess You Leave Behind, where 85% of the creative and technical crew are from Galicia. “Televisión de Galicia has always invested in fiction, and it’s where a lot of the creators come from,” says Martínez. “The film sector managed to work with very little resources, but this actually allowed creativity to flourish,” he says. The arrival of Netflix, HBO Spain (which launched in 2016), Amazon and Movistar+ have given the local industry the opportunity to go international. “There’s no doubt that Televisión de Galicia has been an important leverage,” says Emma Lustres, who has produced The Mess You Leave Behind and La unidad. “And now we’re lucky to have Netflix and other platforms, which have suddenly put us on the map.”

Streaming has made subtitled works much more accessible, and thus acceptable, to audiences.  Plus the incredible progress that's being made with translation apps, is surely going to bump this kind of international accessibility.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

I don't think it has been released in the US, and I don't think it will be for a good long while, if ever. Doesn't seem to have released in the UK either.

I think it's worth no-one's while to release it post MeToo right now, but I suspect we'll see it pop up after Polanski dies.

I watched XXX the return of Xander Cage yesterday. Far more enjoyable than the first one, mostly because it takes itself faaaaar less seriously than the first one. But at heart it's basically a Fast and Furious movie with different co-stars so I was always gonna like it...

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I think it's worth no-one's while to release it post MeToo right now, but I suspect we'll see it pop up after Polanski dies.

True.

My advice for those in the English speaking world (I checked, and it hasn't released in any Anglophone country) who are interested in Polanski's films and/or the Dreyfus Affair is to keep it in mind if you're ever overseas and have access to a local streaming service that might carry it and might offer English subtitles. It's a really well-made film.

I watched XXX the return of Xander Cage yesterday. Far more enjoyable than the first one, mostly because it takes itself faaaaar less seriously than the first one. But at heart it's basically a Fast and Furious movie with different co-stars so I was always gonna like it...

Some day I'll watch a Fast and the Furious film. I did see the original XXX and enjoyed it well enough for what it was. 

Finished the second season of Deadwood, 16 years later. Scattered thoughts. 

Damn what a season. Immediately kicks off with the Bullock/Swearengen fight which was amazing. The couple episodes Al was down with kidney stones were a little rough. Amazing cast and a ton of great supporting characters, but when Al isn't holding court in the Gem it just isn't the same. Wu. Swearengen. San Francisco cocksucker!!! 

Wolcott made my skin crawl so glad he exited at the end. 

The last ten-fifteen minutes of Amalgamation and Capital was heart pounding and ultimately heart breaking. William's death felt so tangible for a tv show it truly is a tribute to how good the writing and acting is. Funny how the camp, which is at times so bloodthirsty and unforgiving, can band together as one. Saw it with the funeral and the wedding.

EB gives Al a serious run for his money as the funniest character on the show, which is saying something when you think about the disparity in their lines. EB is such a weasel, but god damn does he make me laugh. The line he gives to Al in the S2 finale about having an abundance of diarrhea had me in tears. 

Jane is growing on me, though she largely annoys me. 

Though they butt heads, I like the Al/Bullock relationship they're building after their fight. Also like that they acknowledged Bullock and Alma in the final scene with just a simple stare and nod. Think that was the first time we saw Bullock aware of his unborn child's mother is marrying someone that isn't him lol. Poor bastard.

Al's simple stare and smile as he's looking down from his balcony upon everyone dancing at the wedding was so simple and well done. A hard and ruthless man, no doubt, but seems like he enjoyed everyone's shared happiness for one night. HBO really does do a good job wrapping their seasons up with a nice montage of all the characters. Reminded me of how The Wire would always end their seasons. 

On to season 3.

28 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Finished the second season of Deadwood, 16 years later. Scattered thoughts.

Hide contents

Damn what a season. Immediately kicks off with the Bullock/Swearengen fight which was amazing. The couple episodes Al was down with kidney stones were a little rough. Amazing cast and a ton of great supporting characters, but when Al isn't holding court in the Gem it just isn't the same. Wu. Swearengen. San Francisco cocksucker!!! 

Lucky you didn't post this earlier or you might have found me mid thrust in other business.

That has to be one of my favorite episodes of TV ever. Olyphant is so good at boiling his blood that you almost understand his suicidal decision to put aside the badge. The scene where Swearengen tries to walk him back before the fight is great too. 

You could probably argue that Swearengen sparing him is the least realistic thing that happens.

"Welcome to fucking deadwood. "

I drank whiskey on my Sunday night Deadwood watches when it aired. I remember almost spitting it out at this quote:

He don't know if he's breathing or taking it in through fucking gills; he is that fucking cunt-struck.

Started watching the new Superman and Lois series, which I suspect my interest in it will start to wane after couple seasons before moving on (I did stick with Flash up until mid-5th season, only a season with the other CW shows). Although it shares with the Arrowverse I 'm not sure if there's any connection with Supergirl or not.

Also watched the first episode of Debris. Getting very strong Fringe vibes from this scifi series. Not too sure about the casting but the story is promising.

I watched the BBC series The Bodyguard (which is now on Netflix) recently. It got a little bit OTT in the latter half but on the whole I enjoyed it. I thought that Richard Madden was surprisingly good and showed a lot more range than we ever saw from him in GOT and I found him convincing as an 'ex-forces' dude who served in Iraq (I say 'ex' because there's no such thing as ex-forces and yet how else do you describe them? I'm married to one btw). Pleased to see that he won a Golden Globe for this performance. I did think the ending was a little too neat.

Almost thought that their car might get blown up in the last shot

I noted that someone on this board talked about the shoe-horning of women into prominent roles in this series - they must be unfamiliar with the number of women in prominent roles in UK government, police and security. The show had issues but that wasn't one of them.

Apparently there might be second season of this soon. Not sure how that works. I hope there isn't. I wish standalone series could just be left as they are; complete.

1 hour ago, Isis said:

I noted that someone on this board talked about the shoe-horning of women into prominent roles in this series - they must be unfamiliar with the number of women in prominent roles in UK government, police and security. The show had issues but that wasn't one of them.

Apparently there might be second season of this soon. Not sure how that works. I hope there isn't. I wish standalone series could just be left as they are; complete.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45803343

I seem to remember noting the amount of women in the show, and like it was mentioned in the above link, by a female writer, there is certainly an element of wishful thinking 'airbrushing' of reality going on there. The BBC has form for these kinds of things though, and I think has been making a conscious decision to promote gender equality by depicting reality through it's own projections.

On that note I have been watching the BBC's The Fall, as I mentioned before, and there is absolutely an element of that going on. The Fall takes it much further however, it is consciously fighting back against 'the patriarchy' by depicting men and women in very different ways. Men in the show can either be violent rapists / wifebeaters, psychopaths or pathetic incompetents who can't do anything right. Women on the other hand are either highly competent over achievers who don't ever need men (and actively deride them) or they are sympathetic victims of men. Once you notice it, you can't un notice it. Really though I don't think any of that is especially unusual with the BBC. 

Contemplating a Swearengen "Coffee!" demand the next time I come into the kitchen. Not sure the wife will understand or appreciate it, but just feels like something I should try once. 

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45803343

I seem to remember noting the amount of women in the show, and like it was mentioned in the above link, by a female writer, there is certainly an element of wishful thinking 'airbrushing' of reality going on there. The BBC has form for these kinds of things though, and I think has been making a conscious decision to promote gender equality by depicting reality through it's own projections.

Ok, so what I read originally suggested (my take) that women were being unrealistically shoehorned into positions of authority in the show? In a way that is not realistic? To my knowledge and experience, it was perfectly realistic and not 'airbrushing'. 

As I said, the show had issues, but having women in senior UK posts in gov, police and security is not one of those issues. It absolutely didn't say that any of those women didn't make mistakes or didn't need men or anything. 

I haven't watched The Fall yet, because even though many people said it was fantastic, sometimes I don't feel like watching stuff with rape as a plot point. 

20 minutes ago, Isis said:

Ok, so what I read originally suggested (my take) that women were being unrealistically shoehorned into positions of authority in the show? In a way that is not realistic? To my knowledge and experience, it was perfectly realistic and not 'airbrushing'. 

As I said, the show had issues, but having women in senior UK posts in gov, police and security is not one of those issues. It absolutely didn't say that any of those women didn't make mistakes or didn't need men or anything. 

I haven't watched The Fall yet, because even though many people said it was fantastic, sometimes I don't feel like watching stuff with rape as a plot point. 

I dunno, I never really thought the female officers or politicians was particularly unrealstic, though it did occur to me that the writers made a point of making many people in authority female, I think that is quite common. What seemed to be more noticable was the casting of women in more front line roles, like sniper, bomb disposal teams and security teams. 

Women should not be depicted in large numbers outside of the kitchen. It's unrealistic and reflects a suspicious misandry that we absolutely need to point out and fight against to uphold the patriar -- ethics of tv and movie writing.

Week! Ha! Hope all got it, ya know?  :cheers:

In the meantime finished the last ep of Age of Samurai: Battle For Japan tonight.  Yikes.  This rolls really right into Clavell's Shogun novel.  Woo. OK.  I do wish this series had provided us more cultural context, as opposed to the purely military.

Also finished watching ep 5 of Warrior, the combo of meta on Ford's Stage Coach, Sergio Leon's Man With No Name franchise and the Carradine Kung Fu,  Got it now -- they aren't in the least serious, are they?  :rofl:  So much switcheroo of tone and 'tude, lordessa save us.  Who do they think they are? TV Tarrantino? :cheers:

Well, it was a hella day, so why not a little Peaky Blinders re-watch, plus a little Warrior?  :wideeyed:

Archived