Watch, Watched, Watching: Three Monkeys Edition

Ran

15 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Contemplating a Swearengen "Coffee!" demand the next time I come into the kitchen. Not sure the wife will understand or appreciate it, but just feels like something I should try once. 

I did something similar recently! My future son in law just started watching Deadwood and they came over and I screamed out,  you cocksucker!!!!! Everyone was like, wtf...then he realized it and started laughing, and said, cocksucker!!!

1 minute ago, dbunting said:

I did something similar recently! My future son in law just started watching Deadwood and they came over and I screamed out,  you cocksucker!!!!! Everyone was like, wtf...then he realized it and started laughing, and said, cocksucker!!!

I always love the exchanges between Al and Wu because "cocksucker" is one of the only words Wu knows and their conversations revolve around saying it with different intonations. 

9 minutes ago, briantw said:

I always love the exchanges between Al and Wu because "cocksucker" is one of the only words Wu knows and their conversations revolve around saying it with different intonations. 

The Deadwood equivalent of "forget about it", in mob movies. Donnie Brasco scene is of course the reference here. Means many things depending on how you say it.

The HD version of Buffy is not very good. You really notice the drop in quality during scenes with CGI and when they use stock footage for the outside of buildings. The costumes and the details in some scenes are impressive though considering that most of that stuff would have been a blur when it aired originally. That lack of blood on many vampire scenes is very noticable in HD though.

On 3/4/2021 at 5:37 AM, Heartofice said:

Article about "realism" of women in these roles because 1) Sexism has prevented equal opportunity historically 2) The women aren't subjected to enough sexism to be real.

Commented concern: women are portrayed positively and men are portrayed negatively. :blink:

I don't find the article convincing - portraying inequality and sexism because it's "real" is both a choice (it would be a slog of every show needed to have a sexism/racism/etc storyline) and perpetuates those issues (perhaps giving validity or doing it poorly and making a mockery of real issues ... Michaela Cole can't write everything). 

The latter is MRA-adjacent fragility seeking a slight to claim victimhood or some superiority because an "agenda" has been identified. Newsflash, shows with women and minorities in token roles with trope-y, insulting writing is the norm. I don't believe the counter "agenda" is true and, frankly, wouldn't care if it was in the grand scheme of things.

17 minutes ago, Week said:

The latter is MRA-adjacent fragility seeking a slight to claim victimhood or some superiority because an "agenda" has been identified. Newsflash, shows with women and minorities in token roles with trope-y, insulting writing is the norm. I don't believe the counter "agenda" is true and, frankly, wouldn't care if it was in the grand scheme of things.

Maybe you don’t believe the agenda is true, I’d say it was pretty hard to deny, especially in regards to the BBC which pretty much is quite open about its agenda. 

The question is whether these shows role is to depict reality or to try and portray their supposed ideal or how reality should be. I’d say there was a lot of creators out there right now who see it as their role to fix society through their writing etc. 

What I think this means however isn’t really diversity, not really. Not unless diversity means that only certain types of archetypes are allowed, or that diversity means that there is one level of sexism that is acceptable as a way of compensation. 

You can just dismiss all that as some ‘MRA adjacent’ crap, and I wouldn’t be surprised, but personally I think there are better ways to make media more diverse than by simply depicting false stereotypes or displaying life through a very narrow political lens.

Fictional shows showing fictional realities doesn't seem strange. I think one would have to look at the totality of shows from a source, and not just a particular source, to decide whether it was deliberately trying to skew reality or not. I have a feeling the BBC has plenty of programming in which sexism features in one way or another, so The Bodyguard or The Fall depicting reality as a bit different doesn't seem so odd. At the same time, maybe there's an over-correction, I don't know. I think Daisy Goodwin may be quite right in her assessment that too many programs have decided to present a sanitized version of real life so as to avoid dealing with any sticky issues.

Speaking of fictional realities, I watched the second John Wick film for the first time. I like Keanu, I understand the action is well-choreographed, but the vast majority of this one was just a great, big yawn from me. Do people really get excited at these movies? There's never a sense of danger, of Wick being overmatched in any way. The whole comic book unreality of it is fine, though I found it hard to suspend disbelief for a couple of segments (like the subway segment where he's openly killing people left, right, and center but bystanders never notice, or the knife fight where all the bystanders gawp and watch rather than make for the exit,)

I always thought John Wick 2 was better than 1, mainly because the second half is really just all out crazy action. Lets be honest the story in these films is bollocks, and so the less time the movie spends trying to actually be serious the better.

I thought the 3rd entry was really weak, outside of maybe everything before he gets on a horse

The third one descends into even more complete absurdity, so you may want to steer clear of it. I still enjoyed it, sure, but it was closer to the absurdity of Crank and Crank 2 than the sleek revenge action art that the first John Wick was.

I understand that some don't get much out of the films. I suppose it's a bit silly of me to rant that WandaVision didn't make any damn sense outside of the two people directly in the scene, but then defend the John Wick series as among my favorites. I consider them to be among the most re-watchable action movies ever. I prefer them over the similar absurdity of the Fast and Furious series, which make about as much sense, but veer toward 80s action machismo versus Wick's ballet-with-guns.

4 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

The third one descends into even more complete absurdity, so you may want to steer clear of it. I still enjoyed it, sure, but it was closer to the absurdity of Crank and Crank 2 than the sleek revenge action art that the first John Wick was.

Crank 1 and Crank 2 are balls to the wall insane and all the better for it. I'd much rather watch those tbh

I enjoy both series, and would welcome a third Crank if it continued to veer into complete lunacy. I do somewhat question the Wick series becoming so hammy, but whatever. John Wick won a horse-chase under a New York train platform, and Halle's malinois were very good puppies.

It'll be interesting to watch that Bob Oedinkirk-as-John Wick film Nobody coming out this year. It's directed by the Hardcore Henry guy, though, which jumped the shark a little too much for me - I don't think I even finished that one.

7 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

I enjoy both series, and would welcome a third Crank if it continued to veer into complete lunacy. I do somewhat question the Wick series becoming so hammy, but whatever. John Wick won a horse-chase under a New York train platform, and Halle's malinois were very good puppies.

It'll be interesting to watch that Bob Oedinkirk-as-John Wick film Nobody coming out this year. It's directed by the Hardcore Henry guy, though, which jumped the shark a little too much for me - I don't think I even finished that one.

I mean the premise of the John Wick series is that approximately 65% of people in the world work for an underground cabal of assassins that somehow remains underground despite people constantly getting murdered in public in broad daylight.  I don't think it was ever meant to be taken particularly seriously.  The first movie is the only one that is even remotely grounded in reality and it's still completely bonkers.

48 minutes ago, Ran said:

Speaking of fictional realities, I watched the second John Wick film for the first time. I like Keanu, I understand the action is well-choreographed, but the vast majority of this one was just a great, big yawn from me. Do people really get excited at these movies? There's never a sense of danger, of Wick being overmatched in any way. The whole comic book unreality of it is fine, though I found it hard to suspend disbelief for a couple of segments (like the subway segment where he's openly killing people left, right, and center but bystanders never notice, or the knife fight where all the bystanders gawp and watch rather than make for the exit,)

To bring it back to the topic that has brought us all together, it was that rare feeling in the first four season of GoT that drew me into something I probably would have never watched otherwise.

John Wick is above average, has some great cinematography, excellent choreography, and is stylish, but the films are all kind of just okay. I think it speaks more to the decade plus long run of absolute shit action films, at least in English markets. Many of the best action films I've seen over the time frame came out of Asia, and I'm also aware that there are a number of European movies I need to eventually see.

I think that's probably right -- a lack of great action films has led to Wick being a cut above the normal fare. And good for Keanu, really.

The best bits are his actual weapon-handling, IMO, as I know he has trained the hell out of quick draws, fast reloads, and so on and he seems very convincing. Cyberpunk 2077 actually includes a couple of weapons animations clearly based on John Wick moves, like the single-handed press check he did late in this film. The hand-to-hand is fine, but there's nothing that stands out to me like some of the fights from the first Bourne films, which felt more inventive, not to mention any number of Asian films.  Wick tends to actually kind of do the same thing over and over -- some punching and kicking leads to a grapple leading to a throw and some sort of bone-breaking or stabbing on the ground. 

Burned right through Season 3 of Get Shorty. I'm a little disappointed that it was only 7 episodes long but it was solid throughout. Now either cancelling Netflix in favor of HBO/Max or moving on to maybe Counterpart on Amazon Prime. Anyone know if it ends properly and still worth watching? If it's going to end on a cliffhanger then maybe I move on to something more satisfying.

3 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Burned right through Season 3 of Get Shorty. I'm a little disappointed that it was only 7 episodes long but it was solid throughout. Now either cancelling Netflix in favor of HBO/Max or moving on to maybe Counterpart on Amazon Prime. Anyone know if it ends properly and still worth watching? If it's going to end on a cliffhanger then maybe I move on to something more satisfying.

Counterpart is fantastic. I put it off worrying that it would end badly but it works pretty perfectly as 2 seasons 

Archived