Watch, Watched, Watching: Three Monkeys Edition

Ran

Hook.   I had never seen it. All star cast+Spielberg.  I could not put my finger on what was wrong with this movie, a slow meandering pace should not necessarily make it bad, which it was.  And while it had some Spielbergian touches,  if I didn't know he directed it I would have never guessed.  Hated the art direction, I guess they were going for a quasi fantasy aka Wizard of Oz look, but everything seemed cheap and fake.  Hoffman was enjoyable as Captain Hook and looked to be enjoying himself but otherwise, this film rarely even hit mediocre.  

Finished Season 1 of Counterpart. Excellent recommendation. Several episodes made me want to hit "next episode" right away. Lots of twists and turns, character reveals and deception. The entire science fiction premise was well done and unique (at least I can't recall a similar concept done somewhere else). The show consistently reminded me of The Americans even beyond just being a tense spy thriller as I saw several similar characters / character relationships. Also going to re-iterate that watching this show during a global pandemic is just eerie given when it was produced. 

41 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Hook.   I had never seen it. All star cast+Spielberg.  I could not put my finger on what was wrong with this movie, a slow meandering pace should not necessarily make it bad, which it was.  And while it had some Spielbergian touches,  if I didn't know he directed it I would have never guessed.  Hated the art direction, I guess they were going for a quasi fantasy aka Wizard of Oz look, but everything seemed cheap and fake.  Hoffman was enjoyable as Captain Hook and looked to be enjoying himself but otherwise, this film rarely even hit mediocre.  

Last night, the concluding episode of the HBO documentary, Allen vs. Farrow.  It's heartbreaking.

It's also infuriating how much people still invest in this child rapist and molester, as a genius.  Wonder if they feel the same way about Allen's good buddy, now dead, Jeffrey Epstein.

10 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Finished Season 1 of Counterpart. Excellent recommendation. Several episodes made me want to hit "next episode" right away. Lots of twists and turns, character reveals and deception. The entire science fiction premise was well done and unique (at least I can't recall a similar concept done somewhere else). The show consistently reminded me of The Americans even beyond just being a tense spy thriller as I saw several similar characters / character relationships. Also going to re-iterate that watching this show during a global pandemic is just eerie given when it was produced. 

Ha, happened to finish this yesterday. JK Simmons is so good. The whole cast really. Definitely very odd to watch in the midst of our ongoing panini.

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

Last night, the concluding episode of the HBO documentary, Allen vs. Farrow.  It's heartbreaking.

It's also infuriating how much people still invest in this child rapist and molester, as a genius.  Wonder if they feel the same way about Allen's good buddy, now dead, Jeffrey Epstein.

Pretty much sums up my feelings after watching it. I made the mistake of looking around online to see what’s being said in regards to the series, and Allen’s PR team was definitely out in full force early on. It seemed to lessen with each episode though. 

Archived