Gender and bathrooms

Varysblackfyre321

I feel like there's some confusion on unisex bathrooms (mine maybe?) or at least it's defined differently in different areas?

In my experience in North America, unisex bathrooms are single user locked door rooms, not multiple users like you would encounter in gender-specific rooms with urinals and/or stalls. Is it different in other places?

My favorite set up is toilets behind closed door and common sinks. 

40 minutes ago, aceluby said:

There was a bar I went to ~15 years ago that had unisex bathrooms.  Stalls only, locks on the doors, everyone just waited in line together.  It worked fine.  Turns out adults can share a toilet with another adult regardless of their genitalia.  Who knew?

We’ve been doing it on planes for long enough. Also, I have a tiny hand washing station in my van for work, small enough that it’d easily fit in a toilet cubicle. Why not have nothing but cubicles, with everything you need in them, so you can just enter and exit and you’re done?

1 minute ago, kairparavel said:

I feel like there's some confusion on unisex bathrooms (mine maybe?) or at least it's defined differently in different areas?

In my experience in North America, unisex bathrooms are single user locked door rooms, not multiple users like you would encounter in gender-specific rooms with urinals and/or stalls. Is it different in other places?

At least in some places in NY there is a set of single user locked doors (like let's say 6-8) with a common washing up area.  Pretty common for hotel bars, for instance, you know, back in the universe where we, you know went out.  (I'm sort of chuckling to myself at how academic this discussion is, because you know, not like I'm in public, like ever now or for the near future).

1 minute ago, kairparavel said:

Weird tangent, but when visiting the US, I was shocked how many bathroom stalls have doors that just flat out don’t cover the hole allotted to them. A good foot on the bottom, and an inch down the sides. In the UK at least, stalls may as well be separate rooms for all the privacy you get.

I know its my own hangups, but I just can't use a urinal unless the bathroom is empty enough that I still have a one urinal buffer around me. Otherwise I get bladder shy; except when I'm super drunk. So if the change to a unisex system led to a reduction in the number of urinals, in favor of stalls, there's an increased likelihood I'm going to a stall just to pee. Thereby reducing the overall efficiency of the bathroom. And I'm certain I'm not the only guy who can get a shy bladder like that.

So basically my stance is, I'm fine with unisex bathrooms in theory; but don't cut back on the number of urinals available.

8 hours ago, Prue said:

From what I've seen, it's far more likely that women intrude into men's public toilets. In every break at the theatre etc., there is a long queue in front of the ladies' toilets, and when the break is about to end, first a few women and then a stampede will enter the men's toilets as there is normally no queue there. I think it's rather rude to do that especially if there are men standing at urinals.

So I know this is suppose to be a serious topic, but I can't resist. It's fine if women use the men's room when there are long lines, but please, for the love of god, do not hover. I had a maintenance job in high school and the women's restrooms were almost always more disgusting. Thankfully I was rarely the one left holding the bag having to deal with it.

6 hours ago, Leap said:

I'm in favour of unisex bathrooms purely because maybe it would be the incentive we need to collectively get our shit together (pun intended) and have actual bathroom standards. 

Segregate the cubicle area from the hand-washing area by some sort of screen.

Shouldn't we be washing in the stalls? Also, think about the cumulative effect of flushing public toilets with no covers. That entire thing is disgusting.

8 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

My favorite set up is toilets behind closed door and common sinks. 

I’ve experienced both. The ones with a common wash area I really dislike. 

Either way being on a night out, chatting to the ladies, only to have to bump into one of them after having dropped a dirty stink package would really put a downer on the evening. 

My complaint is with undersized cubicles. The widths are usually passable, however the lengths are usually, irritatingly too short for inward swinging doors.

Nothing grosses me out more than trying to exit and having a leg brush up against the side of the cabode because of this stunning (and rude) lack of foresight in design which I have seen in more places than I care to remember!

One of the nicest public restrooms I've seen was at the Vegas Wynn (8 yrs ago though), truly exceptional and thoughtful facilities, hell I didn't want to leave.:D

As far as the unisex or no, I can roll with whatever the public consensus is, it's of no consequence to me.

31 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Either way being on a night out, chatting to the ladies, only to have to bump into one of them after having dropped a dirty stink package would really put a downer on the evening. 

Why? Everyone has to take a shit at some point. 

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Well yes that’s true, if you go back in time it seems there were no regulations until the 80s for women to have more space than men for toilets.

I remember one building I worked in where toilets for each sex were every other floor, and toilets were obviously the same size on every floor. It was an old building, and I’m sure at the time they were just building to the bare minimum in terms of regulations.

I’m not so sure that modern buildings are conforming to these standards though.

In the building I work in  for every 3 toilet areas for Men there is only 1 for women.

When we have toilets in the same area the men have more cubicles than the women and have a separate urinal area.  Given the state of the male toilets even though they have lots more than us Women I'd highly object to the men also using the female toilets.  this is because it seems that many of the men in my workplace enjoy pissing on the floor. 

7 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

A good rule of thumb for me is I don’t want to smell my girlfriends shit till I’ve been dating her at least 2 years 

Two years? Are you one of those people that also refuses to go number two at someone's place you've been dating for like three months?

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Two years? Are you one of those people that also refuses to go number two at someone's place you've been dating for like three months?

Yeah that’s a grey area, nothing is going to spoil the sexual magic like breaking a toilet and poor internal ventilation  

To show what people will put up with when push comes to shove;

In 2008 a Scottish football team (Rangers) got into the UEFA Cup Final agaijst a Russian side, taking place in Manchester (England).

About 200k Scots descended on Manchester(from a population of 6 million), including a former work colleague.

The day day after the final, he’s in MacDonalds, which is thronging with people, absolute chaos. 
The female toilets were full. There gents cubicles were full. Women were so desperate they went into the gents to squat over the urinals. Men were pissing in the sinks...

46 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah Tywin, don’t you know that women need to be supernatural creatures you can find no evidence that they poop, produce gas, menstruate, or grow body hair because the “sexual magic” is way more important than seeing them as an actual human being.

7 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Yeah Tywin, don’t you know that women need to be supernatural creatures you can find no evidence that they poop, produce gas, menstruate, or grow body hair because the “sexual magic” is way more important than seeing them as an actual human being.

I'd be interested to see the Venn diagram of men that love to dive and think women pooping is unimaginably gross. Seriously, all our bodies do gross things. Anyways, this scene probably captures it best:

Archived