US Politics: Ted Cruz - A Tale of two Snowflakes

A Horse Named Stranger

Forget the dirty, un-presidential Biden dog! Did you know that the affectionate Biden marriage is all a sham to cover up he's senile and she's his nurse? It's as 'real' as climate change! (Tucker C.)

Here's a nice clip about Tucker's professional past, which I didn't know anything about:

27 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well, aren't you looking forward to see the fine media personality that will come out of that enviroment?

Shapiro should fear their hell spawn. 

21 minutes ago, DMC said:

None of this changes the fact they are employees of the NBA.  Which is why suspending Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf for refusing to stand during the anthem was a first amendment violation while a policy that all teams simply play the national anthem is not.

Isn't that reference super dated at this point? Feels like when that happened nine year old you would be dunking on six year old me on a seven foot rim. Not really the same world anymore.

I was thinking of that reference when I thought of the example.  Still got In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida in my head.

The layers of the butterfly jokes.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

Same principle holds even if ten year old me would have kicked the shit out of you regardless of the basket's height.

It really isn't though. Dynamics change. Just like if we jumped six years into the future and my 12 year old self would be embarrassing your 15 year old ass on the court. :P

But jokes permitted, that seems like an odd reference, given on the nature of things have changed. The principles don't really hold up.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

But jokes permitted, that seems like an odd reference, given on the nature of things have changed.

To my knowledge Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf is the last NBA player that was suspended for refusing to stand during the anthem.  So when describing the difference in first amendment violations between employees like him and owners like Cuban, I don't see how the reference is odd in the slightest.

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

To my knowledge Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf is the last NBA player that was suspended for refusing to stand during the anthem.  So when describing the difference in first amendment violations between employees like him and owners like Cuban, I don't see how the reference is odd in the slightest.

That happened 25 years ago. So like I said, when we were little kids. Things have changed.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Interpretation always changes.

:rolleyes:  Mine has not.  Which is why I made the comparison.  If your interpretation is different then argue that instead of pointlessly observing the damn time difference.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

:rolleyes:  Mine has not.  Which is why I made the comparison.  If your interpretation is different then argue that instead of pointlessly observing the damn time difference.

Are you the first liberal member of The Federalist Society?

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm not the one citing things from a few decades ago that have no applicability in today's world. 

Yeah, you're right, making a comparison between a NBA player in 1996 as opposed to the NBA today is totally the same as the Federalist Society's bullshit "strict constructionism."  How could we possibly distinguish compelling a NBA player to stand for the national anthem way back in 1996 with the NBA today having a policy to simply play the anthem?  It's almost as if I have a consistent interpretation of what violates the first amendment and what does not, which is just crazyballs.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah, you're right, making a comparison between a NBA player in 1996 as opposed to the NBA today is totally the same as the Federalist Society's bullshit "strict constructionism."  How could we possibly distinguish compelling a NBA player to stand for the national anthem way back in 1996 with the NBA today having a policy to simply play the anthem?  It's almost as if I have a consistent interpretation of what violates the first amendment and what does not, which is just crazyballs.

:P

And yet, forcing a person to make a political statement and the ethics of it have not changed.

Be real buddy, are you madder right now abut being wrong about shower sex verse hot tub sex or that the Panthers are willing to offer McCarthy and three first rounders, which probably means Bosa is going to have to be on the table?

And yet, forcing a person to make a political statement and the ethics of it have not changed.

And yet, simply playing the national anthem is not forcing anybody to make a political statement.

15 minutes ago, DMC said:

And yet, simply playing the national anthem is not forcing anybody to make a political statement.

The playing of the national anthem is itself a political statement. Just like forcing kids to say the Pledge of Allegiance. This is the crux of where we disagree. 

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The playing of the national anthem is itself a political statement. Just like forcing kids to say the Pledge of Allegiance. This is the crux of where we disagree. 

No, the crux of where we disagree is you don't get the point.  Forcing kids to say the Pledge would be akin to forcing Abdul-Rauf to stand for the anthem.  That is protected speech.  In contrast, the person that actually "plays" the national anthem is not making a political statement.  Just like the pharmacist that refuses to provide contraceptives/birth control, they are free to quit.  I reject the premise that pressing a damn button constitutes protected speech or expression [ETA] that the employer cannot infringe upon.

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

No, the crux of where we disagree is you don't get the point.  Forcing kids to say the Pledge would be akin to forcing Abdul-Rauf to stand for the anthem.  That is protected speech.  In contrast, the person that actually "plays" the national anthem is not making a political statement.  Just like the pharmacist that refuses to provide contraceptives/birth control, they are free to quit.  I reject the premise that pressing a damn button constitutes protected speech or expression [ETA] that the employer cannot infringe upon.

What's the difference between being forced to press a button that makes a political statement and the person forced to include the Pledge in the daily curriculum at school? Sure you can quit the job, but the argument "well you can always quit" is always going to be bullshit to me.

What's the difference between being forced to press a button that makes a political statement and the person forced to include the Pledge in the daily curriculum at school?

...omfg.  The difference is the kids should not be compelled to stand/say the pledge - that is a political statement.  The teacher that's, like, there when the pledge is conducted?  That is not a political statement.  I just hope both the teacher and the kids enjoy a more thorough understanding of the Bill of Rights than you do.

Archived