US Politics: Ted Cruz - A Tale of two Snowflakes

A Horse Named Stranger

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Are people going to seriously let Margarey Taylor Green get away with the whole, "MTG" thing like she's some sort of QAnon AOC?  :rolleyes:

Who cares?  Anyone that wants to be referred to by their initials is obviously an idiot.

32 minutes ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

Come on, you're just trying to make a reference about fetch not happening happen. 

Not to mention he called RBG "Gainsburg," 

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

Who cares?  Anyone that wants to be referred to by their initials is obviously an idiot.

Not to mention he called RBG "Gainsburg," 

Ha.

And did I? I thought I fixed that stupid autocorrect...lemme go check...

57 minutes ago, DMC said:

Ginsburg was reported to have liked being called RBG, at least when "The Notorious" was in front of it, so I would dispute this remark.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/politics/2014/07/ruth-bader-ginsburg-notorious-rbg-nickname

58 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I think that poll is absurd and quite suspect especially given vaccine uptake data so far.  That’s not to say that we are going to get to 70-85% of uptake - we aren’t, but I think making it political isn’t the right lens. I also think that “herd immunity” (and a zero Covid world) are pipe dreams and people should stop focusing on them.

Well, it was 1:00 am and my brain was spinning...:P

Actually, polls using the concept of what do Democrats and Republicans think on certain subjects are common as dirt and perfectly legitimate. Iirc, the same poll back in the summer had a much lower number for Democrats, attributed to the fact Democrats didn't trust anything Trump touched. Even the name "Warp Speed" was mistrusted, because it was interpreted as "we're going to skip important safety steps".

As for the strong demand, so far it's been seniors and health workers, people in the higher risk categories. I think I mentioned before (it may have been in a Covid thread) that I've seen lots of doctors say they are concerned there may be a marked slowdown once 100 M people in the US are vaccinated. For one thing, how many people in their 20s and 30s will get vaccinated.

I don't think everyone has abandoned hope that herd immunity can be achieved, though it's likely evolving into vaccine + booster to get there.

4 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Ginsburg was reported to have liked being called RBG, at least when "The Notorious" was in front of it, so I would dispute this remar.

I mean she's not the first one.  FDR, JFK, LBJ?  SMD.  Anyone that does this, especially using it as some internet handle, is just pathetic.

10 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Well, it was 1:00 am and my brain was spinning...:P

Actually, polls using the concept of what do Democrats and Republicans think on certain subjects are common as dirt and perfectly legitimate. Iirc, the same poll back in the summer had a much lower number for Democrats, attributed to the fact Democrats didn't trust anything Trump touched. Even the name "Warp Speed" was mistrusted, because it was interpreted as "we're going to skip important safety steps".

As for the strong demand, so far it's been seniors and health workers, people in the higher risk categories. I think I mentioned before (it may have been in a Covid thread) that I've seen lots of doctors say they are concerned there may be a marked slowdown once 100 M people in the US are vaccinated. For one thing, how many people in their 20s and 30s will get vaccinated.

I don't think everyone has abandoned hope that herd immunity can be achieved, though it's likely evolving into vaccine + booster to get there.

I think part of the problem is that different people mean different things when they say "herd immunity."  Let me be clear that I have thought (since this summer, though the reporting now is like this is somehow a new idea - it's not) that Covid is going to become endemic.  There is always going to be a covid strain floating around.  It's not going to be exactly flu, nor is it going to be smallpox or even measles in terms of vaccination (that is, I don't think it's going to be one and done, nor do I think that it will be a childhood course plus a booster as a 30 year old like measles).  I'm guessing there will be a couple year (maybe as many as 5?) year coverage for most people, but some people will need more frequent boosters?  Anyhow, we are at the point when we need to get as many people vaccinated as possible and normalize vaccination, but to stop dreaming that vaccines will make it go away.   

Trump just ramped up mistrust of Republicans and regulating things that was already there among Democrats. And with good reason. One only look at how the Republican administrations "regulate" the environment to see why this mistrust exists.

Speaking of which, if this keeps up I wouldn't be surprised if we see a change in House rules pretty soon.

Unlike in the Senate, House majorities are usually much more willing to change the rules anytime it suits them.

1 hour ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I think part of the problem is that different people mean different things when they say "herd immunity."   

You're saying people can misinterpret ambiguous terms in a political context? Why I never Zabs....

12 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Exactly.

I’m also hoping that this means being in an office 100% of the time is dead, as is the handshake.

1. Where was this during our previous conversation about people needing to work less?

2. I'm crestfallen the finger gun didn't take off. I had so much hope. 

20 hours ago, Zorral said:

Some of the They Say crowds are Saying March 4th is perhaps being organized to be the New! Improved! Real and Authentic! January 6th Sedition Effort.

Why March 4th particularly? Partly because it was the original inauguration date.

Still it is all as cray-cray as cam be, still

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/22280323/qanon-march-president-trump-inaugration-conspiracy-theory

My big hope is that this draws more of the looneys out into the light where they can be appropriately heel squashed like the cockroaches they are.

39 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You're saying people can misinterpret ambiguous terms in a political context? Why I never Zabs....

1. Where was this during our previous conversation about people needing to work less?

1.  What can I say, I’m a radical thinker.  Also, I love a defined term.  It’s delicious drafting - put all the action is in the definitions....mmmmmmmm.

2.  @Chataya de Fleury I miss the office.  We need to get back in. This prolonged dispersion is REALLY bad for cohesion, training and general morale. It’s funny our junior people are the most in favor of going back.  I think it won’t necessarily be mandated in the same way as before, but it does need to happen.

1 minute ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

1.  What can I say, I’m a radical thinker.  Also, I love a defined term.  It’s delicious drafting - put all the action is in the definitions....mmmmmmmm.

2.  @Chataya de Fleury I miss the office.  We need to get back in. This prolonged dispersion is REALLY bad for cohesion, training and general morale. It’s funny our junior people are the most in favor of going back.  I think it won’t necessarily be mandated in the same way as before, but it does need to happen.

Your unwillingness to address the finger gun issue has been documented, notarized and filed away for eternity. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Us anti-Second Amendment folk need to get our rocks off somehow. The 75%+ in support of universal background checks can't even move the needle. I'll rejoice that the abomination of finger guns will remain limited to folks like Drew from Office Space. Gotta take wins where you can get 'em.

I think I mentioned this before, but our work has tackled COVID RTW pretty well. There are of course the obligatory questionnaires and temperature checks when we enter, but also one-way traffic in some areas, and limited occupancy conference rooms, break areas, restrooms etc. Assuming you have a large enough workforce (say 50+), then it also possible to be open 5 days a week, but have a rolling roster with 30-40% occupancy every day. This gives everyone a chance to be in, and also mitigates risk somewhat. I have been able to go into work 3 days of the week safely.

On the flip side, I'm not such a big fan of the 'disinfection theater'. I think washing hands and socially distancing should mostly suffice, along with routine cleaning of surfaces rather than obsessively wiping down after every use.

Archived