US Politics: Ted Cruz - A Tale of two Snowflakes

A Horse Named Stranger

1 minute ago, kairparavel said:

What is March 4th?

Also, reminder that Rand Paul's neighbor had the right of it.

Match 4th used to be Inauguration Day. The crazies think that that's the day Previous One will be back to take things over again...after they storm the Capitol one more time... :dunno:

Trump playing 4D chess. Just wanted to let Biden and the libs think they won for a while to own them that much harder.

Will be that much sweeter when Trump lands in DC on March 4th in a newly commissioned Space Force nuclear starship w/ General Flynn and JFK jr. and flays Tom Hanks live on OAN.

2 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

My office is all 100% WFH right now except for those who want to be there - some people have small apartments or small children or just feel like they focus best at the office.

However, there is a strong push of “DO NOT feel like you should be required to come to the office” and until the vaccine is available to all who want it, our office is taking that stance. Also, they are doing a lot more with physical distancing and conference rooms have been turned into offices rather than “everyone is on the trading floor”.

Yea I could probably get away with going in less than I do - and be equally productive for the most part - though there are some things I need to be physically present for. Main reason I go on 2-3 times a week is basically because I’m a pretty new hire and I think it’s valuable at this stage for me to be seen. But yea we have a couple people who have been in every day for some time because they just prefer it to home. I’m not exactly in that camp, but I do hope for a mixed situation long term.

5 minutes ago, S John said:

Trump playing 4D chess. Just wanted to let Biden and the libs think they won for a while to own them that much harder.

Will be that much sweeter when Trump lands in DC on March 4th in a newly commissioned Space Force nuclear starship w/ General Flynn and JFK jr. and flays Tom Hanks live on OAN.

This. This is when I knew you were bullshitting. 

As if Tom Hanks could be captured by Donald Trump. The man saved Private Ryan.

Lady Gaga's dog walker shot in LA, two of her french bulldogs stolen

Am I the only one seeing something wrong with this headline?

I guess at least they put the dogwalker being shot bit first.

But it's OK. Lady Gaga is offering to pay the shooters $500K for the return of the dogs, so at least the dogs should be fine. OK, maybe she's making a 200IQ play and the $500K bait will expose the shooters and they will be arrested. But still, even with that charitable interpretation of the ransom offer, the news on TV and the article attached to this headline spend more of the story talking about the dogs than the person who got shot and is in grave condition in the hospital.

Also WTF, how desperate are things getting where people are willing to kill someone to steal a couple of dogs?

6 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Also WTF, how desperate are things getting where people are willing to kill someone to steal a couple of dogs?

Someone might have to be desperate to kill someone to steal a couple of random dogs. But stealing dogs owned by a millionaire celebrity to hold them for ransom? That's not necessarily an "act of desperation" to me, any more than kidnapping the child of such a celebrity for ransom would be.

There are plenty of cases in history where kidnappings like this have been done by career criminal sociopaths, not someone who has just turned to crime because of desperate poverty. Of course one will have to wait until the perpetrators of this crime are caught to know for sure which category they are in.

14 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Someone might have to be desperate to kill someone to steal a couple of random dogs. But stealing dogs owned by a millionaire celebrity to hold them for ransom? That's not necessarily an "act of desperation" to me, any more than kidnapping the child of such a celebrity for ransom would be.

There are plenty of cases in history where kidnappings like this have been done by career criminal sociopaths, not someone who has just turned to crime because of desperate poverty. Of course one will have to wait until the perpetrators of this crime are caught to know for sure which category they are in.

It would depend on whether the thieves knew they were stealing Gaga's dogs, or were just looking for some Frenchies which can sell for $10K each no matter who owns them. 

14 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It would depend on whether the thieves knew they were stealing Gaga's dogs, or were just looking for some Frenchies which can sell for $10K each no matter who owns them. 

The dog walker was screaming, “these are Lady Gaga’s dogs!” So they knew in the middle of the robbery. I don’t know if he thought that would give him some protection, but it didn’t work, they then shot him. I figure they didn’t want him to be a witness.

24 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The dog walker was screaming, “these are Lady Gaga’s dogs!” So they knew in the middle of the robbery. I don’t know if he thought that would give him some protection, but it didn’t work, they then shot him. I figure they didn’t want him to be a witness.

Yeah, but in the heat of the moment/shooting/robbery its hard to say if that would even register.  It seems more likely to me that they knew of someone who was walking pure bred Frenchies and thought they could make some quick money.  Stealing the dogs of a world famous celebrity is many more times risky, and people so dumb they shoot a dog walker seem very unlikely to be smart enough to get the reward w/out being caught, because the difference in the case between 'rich person's dogs stolen' and 'dog walker shot in the chest' is huge.  As soon as they shot the guy it became inevitable they will be caught. 

5 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Frenchies cost 10K?!

They can cost less or more, but a purebred will always be a few thousand at least.  If anyone asked me, the breed needs to be banned because the puppies can't even be born naturally anymore, they all have to be c-sectioned because of how the breed has been evolved.  It's gross. 

https://frenchie.world/blogs/news/what-is-the-difference-between-500-and-5-000-frenchie

3 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

They can cost less or more, but a purebred will always be a few thousand at least.  If anyone asked me, the breed needs to be banned because the puppies can't even be born naturally anymore, they all have to be c-sectioned because of how the breed has been evolved.  It's gross. 

https://frenchie.world/blogs/news/what-is-the-difference-between-500-and-5-000-frenchie

I usually heard what they said on the low end of the scale. Don't pay $10k for any dog when so many in shelters need love.

14 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Weird. Since 10k did sound ludicrously excessive even for a purebreed, I decided to check what's the price range here.

Pups from certified breeders with papers and shizzle cost range between 800-2.000 €. Ofc. you could probably get them cheaper from some dubious breeders from Eastern Europe with a big chance of buying a dog with serious health issues (or a terminal ill one).

7 hours ago, DMC said:

Too bad James Francis Ryan turned out to just be Matt Damon.  He didn't Earn This!

So you think they should have let him stay on Mars?

14 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

As if Tom Hanks could be captured by Donald Trump. The man saved Private Ryan.

But failed to catch Leonardo di Caprio.

I’m told that the shelters in Ontario are empty. I hope they were snapped up. Washington State had a sign up program and did not have a lot of animals.

Many years ago a person that I know a lot about bought well bred Shepards in Germany. She was interviewed as to whether or not she was worthy. She did get one that was too big to fit the breed specs and was thus cheaper.

Yes they should probably stop with the bull dogs, although they are best known to me to be good with children, low energy and good natured. Nice for a companion or mainly house dog.

58 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I usually heard what they said on the low end of the scale. Don't pay $10k for any dog when so many in shelters need love.

I generally agree with the sentiment but your taking on an enormous risk and responsibility with a dog. Potential health care, behavior, temperament, etc. are all legitimate considerations. I know a family that wanted a dog with a certain temperament for kids in a busy area - moderate energy, not a big barker, etc. The kids chose a dog that - after testing - was a shepherd, whippet, and I forget what else. Bottom line, it looked like none of those breeds and had all the characteristics that they wanted to avoid - it's been a real challenge for them.

I have family that after adopting one dog - who is awesome - adopted a second that has been really hard. Jumps on people despite training and correction, has a number of health issues that are likely going to result in a shorter, more expensive life that will be pretty sad for the kids.

You can say that, hey, they chose poorly - my point is 'choosing poorly' can be luck of the draw and made in ignorance but can really suck for dog and owner/family.

The thing is, with the pandemic, the demand for pets has been so high, that the shelters don't have animals.  Lots and lots of stories about that here.  Also, there are waiting lists to enlist professional dog trainers for new owners and dogs are as difficult to find and get an appointment as finding an appointment to get a vaccination is here too.

2 minutes ago, Week said:

I generally agree with the sentiment but your taking on an enormous risk and responsibility with a dog. Potential health care, behavior, temperament, etc. are all legitimate considerations. I know a family that wanted a dog with a certain temperament for kids in a busy area - moderate energy, not a big barker, etc. The kids chose a dog that - after testing - was a shepherd, whippet, and I forget what else. Bottom line, it looked like none of those breeds and had all the characteristics that they wanted to avoid - it's been a real challenge for them.

I have family that after adopting one dog - who is awesome - adopted a second that has been really hard. Jumps on people despite training and correction, has a number of health issues that are likely going to result in a shorter, more expensive life that will be pretty sad for the kids.

You can say that, hey, they chose poorly - my point is 'choosing poorly' can be luck of the draw and made in ignorance but can really suck for dog and owner/family.

I'm curious if the first family adopted a puppy and not an adult dog, which would usually be less risky in terms of having a sense of the dog's temperament and energy level, but yes, pets are always a risk in terms of unforeseen behavior or health concerns.  

14 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

Many years ago a person that I know a lot about bought well bred Shepards in Germany. She was interviewed as to whether or not she was worthy. She did get one that was too big to fit the breed specs and was thus cheaper.

That's usually the sign of responsible breeders. They talk to potential owners, and ask about experience with the breed (and dogs in general), and then help pick a dog pup from the litter (who seems to have the right temperament/energy). And they don't part with the pups before the reached a certain age (3 months being earliest if I am not mistaken).

I assume your friend was satisfied with her purchase.

Archived