Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
A Horse Named Stranger

US Politics: Ted Cruz - A Tale of two Snowflakes

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I usually heard what they said on the low end of the scale. Don't pay $10k for any dog when so many in shelters need love.

I generally agree with the sentiment but your taking on an enormous risk and responsibility with a dog. Potential health care, behavior, temperament, etc. are all legitimate considerations. I know a family that wanted a dog with a certain temperament for kids in a busy area - moderate energy, not a big barker, etc. The kids chose a dog that - after testing - was a shepherd, whippet, and I forget what else. Bottom line, it looked like none of those breeds and had all the characteristics that they wanted to avoid - it's been a real challenge for them.

I have family that after adopting one dog - who is awesome - adopted a second that has been really hard. Jumps on people despite training and correction, has a number of health issues that are likely going to result in a shorter, more expensive life that will be pretty sad for the kids.

You can say that, hey, they chose poorly - my point is 'choosing poorly' can be luck of the draw and made in ignorance but can really suck for dog and owner/family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is, with the pandemic, the demand for pets has been so high, that the shelters don't have animals.  Lots and lots of stories about that here.  Also, there are waiting lists to enlist professional dog trainers for new owners and dogs are as difficult to find and get an appointment as finding an appointment to get a vaccination is here too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Week said:

I generally agree with the sentiment but your taking on an enormous risk and responsibility with a dog. Potential health care, behavior, temperament, etc. are all legitimate considerations. I know a family that wanted a dog with a certain temperament for kids in a busy area - moderate energy, not a big barker, etc. The kids chose a dog that - after testing - was a shepherd, whippet, and I forget what else. Bottom line, it looked like none of those breeds and had all the characteristics that they wanted to avoid - it's been a real challenge for them.

I have family that after adopting one dog - who is awesome - adopted a second that has been really hard. Jumps on people despite training and correction, has a number of health issues that are likely going to result in a shorter, more expensive life that will be pretty sad for the kids.

You can say that, hey, they chose poorly - my point is 'choosing poorly' can be luck of the draw and made in ignorance but can really suck for dog and owner/family.

I'm curious if the first family adopted a puppy and not an adult dog, which would usually be less risky in terms of having a sense of the dog's temperament and energy level, but yes, pets are always a risk in terms of unforeseen behavior or health concerns.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

Many years ago a person that I know a lot about bought well bred Shepards in Germany. She was interviewed as to whether or not she was worthy. She did get one that was too big to fit the breed specs and was thus cheaper.

That's usually the sign of responsible breeders. They talk to potential owners, and ask about experience with the breed (and dogs in general), and then help pick a dog pup from the litter (who seems to have the right temperament/energy). And they don't part with the pups before the reached a certain age (3 months being earliest if I am not mistaken).

I assume your friend was satisfied with her purchase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She got two and bred them on her rural property and everyone was happy about it. She also interviewed people who wanted them( she was not out for money) She had some war trauma, so liked the protection...naturally better than a gun, but they had those as well. ( stored safely) someone I know had to make sure that he was not at the bottom of the pecking order. Skills are required.

There is a thing called hybrid vigor. It is health due to outbreeding. But yah a husky mix, I can say, might kill cats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

 

But failed to catch Leonardo di Caprio.

Except he did catch Leo...it just took a while...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dog came from a shelter. He’s cool and I would do it again, but it IS a roll of the dice. I would also consider a purebred, though. Wife and I dog sat a King Charles for 7 months a couple years ago when a friend of my wife moved to Australia and I LOVED HIM. I can’t rule out getting a King Charles one day. 

In my experience it’s hard to find smaller dogs at shelters, especially in urban areas. We wanted a small dog, partly because I didn’t want to have to pick up gigantic shits. Anyway, a good tip is to look at shelters in small towns if you don’t want a pit bull. My wife is from a small town in west Texas and she knew about the shelter there. They had a much larger variety of dogs out there than they had in Austin, I’m guessing due to less competition from fellow adopters. We started to follow them on Instagram and when we saw our dog we messaged them and we got him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, S John said:

In my experience it’s hard to find smaller dogs at shelters, especially in urban areas. We wanted a small dog, partly because I didn’t want to have to pick up gigantic shits. Anyway, a good tip is to look at shelters in small towns if you don’t want a pit bull. My wife is from a small town in west Texas and she knew about the shelter there. They had a much larger variety of dogs out there than they had in Austin, I’m guessing due to less competition from fellow adopters. We started to follow them on Instagram and when we saw our dog we messaged them and we got him. 

Bingo to the bolded. 

[and love the tangent]

I'm renting right now so as to be less encumbered with the impending move to the island this summer. I preface with that because our daughters have been really good with the online school thing [they haven't been to in-person class since last April] so I put in some effort getting the landlords to be ok with a dog as a Christmas present slash reward. Their caveat: ok, but it had to be a small breed.

All the local shelters, if they had dogs even, only had large breeds, so that was a no. An acquaintance of mine knows a Frenchie breeder, so I got the girls a pick from a litter [and yeah, Frenchies are ridiculously expensive, but my youngest's favorite breed] The girls have facetimed with her plenty since birth, and we get to pick Tulip up on Mar 13th. I prefer large breeds myself, but she's a beautiful little lilac pied. 

We're head over heels already.   

 

edit: I'm buying property for a build on the island, and I've already got my eye on getting a couple dogo argentinos

Edited by JEORDHl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Except he did catch Leo...it just took a while...

 

You're confusing him with Nazi Germany (going back to saving private Damon), Leo surrendered because the French were coming. That's also the difference.

3 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

She got two and bred them on her rural property and everyone was happy about it. She also interviewed people who wanted them( she was not out for money) She had some war trauma, so liked the protection...naturally better than a gun, but they had those as well. ( stored safely) someone I know had to make sure that he was not at the bottom of the pecking order. Skills are required.

Personally, I think the German Sheperd's ancestor, the Hovawart, meets those specifications, too, and is imho the cooler breed. On the other hand, Hovies are somewhat less eager to please and a bit more of a challenge to train properly. But that's my personal opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DMC said:

Manchin and Sinema only care about how it polls in West Virginia and Arizona.  Same reason gun control can't happen.

Again, if you're gonna put it in the reconciliation bill anyway, then there's no point in having reconciliation in the first place.  It'd be effectively abolishing the filibuster, which there's obviously not 50 votes for.  You're living in fantasy land.  And stupidly bad politics land, for that matter.

Please explain to me why removing the obstacles to actually being able to pass shit rather than just blaming Republicans for your own ineptitude is bad politics? Sure, you can say there isn't 50 votes for abolishing the filibuster, and that is correct, but I'm not talking about. The raise in the minimum wage does effect the federal budget even with the rather bullshit , so the idea that this is just arbitrarily violating the reconciliation process is factually wrong. This is about Democrats using procedural hurdles they are choosing not to overcome as an excuse for their in actions on one of if not the most popular bi-partisan policy proposals going right now. This was a major campaign promise, and if we're just not going to do shit that people can actively point to and say "this made my life better", we're fucked.

Or perhaps you're talking about putting Manchin and Sinema in an uncomfortable position. If those two are going to prioritize their bullshit maverick image they deserve to feel uncomfortable and take votes that make them look bad. You think West Virginians just don't want to make more money? That is asinine. This is about signalling to these two that while we want to work with them, they are not going to hold Biden's campaign promises hostage for their brand. 72% of Americans want it. They're not going to jump ship over this when push comes to shove.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

 

 

Yes they should probably stop with the bull dogs, although they are best known to me to be good with children, low energy and good natured. Nice for a companion or mainly house dog.

As someone with two rescue Persians, we should not be breeding ANY of the brachycephalic breeds. They have tons of health issues and trouble with everything from eating to breathing their whole lives. I know my cats would have better lives without the flat faces. They are also prone to heart issues and skin issues (the dogs are too). It’s just a cruel thing to do to an animal.

As for the bulldog temperament, you can get a friendly low energy family dog with a Pyrenees, and they can breathe AND protect your livestock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enough about the canines.

In news more relevant to the thread, CPAC managed the...near impossible...and sank to a new low.  Click on the link for pics of the item in question if brave enough....

 

https://globalnews.ca/news/7664549/donald-trump-cpac-statue-golden-calf/?fbclid=IwAR1FoXe0n26MVNxwInZ6YyGmRga2U3KDcCWh-iCGYU1O_zeurWnIK6XxWoM

 

Social media users were quoting the Ten Commandments film and the Book of Exodus in droves on Friday, after video from the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) revealed a golden idol-like statue of former U.S. president Donald Trump.

The video captured by a Bloomberg News reporter shows attendants wheeling a giant golden caricature of Trump into the conference hall, amid speculation that the 2020 election loser will announce another run during the three-day conference in Orlando, Fla.

READ MORE: McConnell says he would ‘absolutely’ support Trump if he wins 2024 nomination

The roughly human-sized statue depicts Trump with an oversized golden head and a big smile on his face. His body is made entirely of gold, and he is “dressed” in a shirt, tie and jacket, with star-spangled shorts instead of pants.

The statue appeared to be a hit with nearby attendees, including many who wore shirts from Trump’s losing 2020 presidential campaign.

“That is so cool,” one person can be heard saying.

“Four more years,” another chants.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

 

Pretty much.

[channels Morrisette] It's like Khashoggi Ban... and leaving MBS off it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading about the minimum wage upthread and Manchin’s role in killing the increase to $15 is so ironic. Back in the day WV was the center of the labor movement and even the scene of an armed insurrection in favor of workers rights. It’s a sad state of affairs but the outside moneyed interests have finally won. Most of the state is so afraid of what will happen if the jobs leave that they’ll eat any shit sandwich, beg for another bite, and then be proud of the fact.

Personal anecdote, my grandfather’s grandfather was killed in a mine explosion in West Virginia about the turn of the century. He actually survived the explosion and died a couple days later after what I assume was an agonizing few days. The owners of the mine then blamed the explosion on him since he was too dead to defend himself. 

There were too many kids in the family to support after the patriarch was blown to smithereens which led to about half of the 10 kids being given up to an orphanage. Included in that number was my great-grandfather who was very young at the time. He grew up to run a tavern in WV. No member of my family ever went down into the mines after my great-great grandfather was killed. The local paper noted that my relative was the only ‘white man’ killed in the explosion - the other 4 dead being Italian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You're confusing him with Nazi Germany (going back to saving private Damon), Leo surrendered because the French were coming. That's also the difference.

 

Nah. Tom ran Leo down and had him boxed in to where the French were going to muck it up and he stepped in to finish hisjob. So I guess in a way, he saved Private Ryan and Leo...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

In news more relevant to the thread, CPAC managed the...near impossible...and sank to a new low.  Click on the link for pics of the item in question if brave enough....

https://globalnews.ca/news/7664549/donald-trump-cpac-statue-golden-calf/?fbclid=IwAR1FoXe0n26MVNxwInZ6YyGmRga2U3KDcCWh-iCGYU1O_zeurWnIK6XxWoM

I think the stage design has that beat.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...